Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
The flashlight thing is the main reason I disabled it. It’s impossible to look for things in the dark when the bright screen is shining right in your face.

And yes, auto-brightness is on. I think the problem is that I often use the flashlight to look in dark places in an otherwise lit room. Like behind computer racks, under desks, etc. Not at night, in other words.

I do use the flashlight on my iPhone as a convenience for short-term needs, and I like that it features adjustable brightness. However the size and shape of the phone makes it difficult to maneuver in tight spaces or hold for long periods of time. Smarphones make convenient but mediocre flashlights, which is why I still carry a tiny little Maratac brass keychain flashlight that is barely larger than the AA battery that powers it. There are much less expensive keychain flashlights out there, but I got this one was a gift.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I'd be worried about unlocking the phone with face id accidentally , I prefer the actual touch Id as you know you've unlocked it

I'm rather forgetful so it'd be a nightmare lol - i might have adhd ?? no idea :)

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Posted this another thread probably should of been in here:

Just set up the new 8 plus I got this morning, seriously I think I fell for the new model etc with the X, The Plus is a way better phone for me, the positives way out way the size.
Sold my launch day X and will be selling the silver X I got Yesterday to flip, was going to keep it as got it for $100 less than I sold my launch X, and the plus 8 256gb was a steal.

TID is just brilliant after using FID,its just bs IMO
Oled hardly a difference side by side
5.8” pff give me 5.5 any day, conned there
Battery % back, up you Apple
Control centre swipe up back
Landscape view back
Video is actually full screen
Good ridden notch
Can actually type on it
Plus is thinner and actually feels like a work horse and not some fat V1 phone.
Thought I would miss the swiping, nope
No more tap swipe in my Brodit car holder
Looking forward to better battery life too, X is on par with 8 I had before.

Happy days

Let the bagging begin, take it or leave it my impressions from 6 months with X and 8/7/7plus and all the rest since 4S.

Big Apple fan here lol. Take into account I have had a few reds

Reactions: eyeseeyou

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm sorry but there is a noticeable difference side by side screen wise between LCD and OLED. Don't think it's that close really. The brightness is clear.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Nah have spent a hour testing today, not much imo and not enough to buy it for that reason, maybe a Samsung v8 plus not X.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I'm sorry but there is a noticeable difference side by side screen wise between LCD and OLED. Don't think it's that close really. The brightness is clear.
The difference between the X screen and the 8 is only the higher brightness for the X and deep blacks compared to the 8. The rest of the screen, colour profile and sharpness are exactly the same.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The difference between the X screen and the 8 is only the higher brightness for the X and deep blacks compared to the 8. The rest of the screen, colour profile and sharpness are exactly the same.

Sharpness is poor on the 8

It’s a 720p screen and it shows.

Reactions: whsbuss

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Of course you can. Looking at the screen on the iphone 7/8 compared to other top flagships the difference is quite big
If you are comparing side by side while looking very CLOSELY to the screen, yes you can, otherwise you can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.