Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumordude

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
HELLO, please help.

Hello, I paid in full for iPhone X off at&t website. But I’m still on a Next Plan using my current iPhone 7 Plus—I was going to upgrade and trade in, but I changed my mind. And I’m planning to pay off the iPhone 7 instead and give to my MOM.

My question is when the iPhone X arrives, do I still have to pay for the *activation fee?

How does this work, do I put the old SIM card in the new phone, do I switch the card out from the old phone?

Thank you in advance.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No you don't need to pay the activation or any fee since you bought it outright. I don't remember the last time I paid an activation fee. My account still says I have an iPhone 4.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
No activation fee on a full purchase. But, for AT&T Next and such, yep, AT&T hit you with that...

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Oh so glad I didn't order mine through Best Buy o_O

Best Buy is charging more for iPhone X buyers who don’t want installment debt. If you want to pre-order the iPhone X through Best Buy and pay for the whole device upfront then you have to pay $100 more than if you choose the Best Buy installment plan or if you buy the phone through the Apple Store. Weird.

https://gizmodo.com/why-is-best-buy-overcharging-for-the-iphone-x-1819911183
[doublepost=1509154272][/doublepost]
No you don't need to pay the activation or any fee since you bought it outright. I don't remember the last time I paid an activation fee. My account still says I have an iPhone 4.

What did you do? Just swap out the sim card and not tell AT&T you had a new phone?
[doublepost=1509154325][/doublepost]
No activation fee on a full purchase. But, for AT&T Next and such, yep, AT&T hit you with that...

What is the source for this information? Thanks

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I don't have one. BUT, for the past three years, I've purchase only full price devices.
Unless, I've simply not noticed an activation fee...

Best Buy is charging more for iPhone X buyers who don’t want installment debt. If you want to pre-order the iPhone X through Best Buy and pay for the whole device upfront then you have to pay $100 more than if you choose the Best Buy installment plan or if you buy the phone through the Apple Store. Weird.

What did you do? Just swap out the sim card and not tell AT&T you had a new phone?
[doublepost=1509154325][/doublepost]

What is the source for this information? Thanks

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Yeah I just swap out the SIMs. When Apple moved to nano SIMs, I simply went to the store and told them I needed a nanoSIM. I've never had issues with data or anything.

I also did preorder one from Best Buy. Honestly for me there was no other way to buy a Verizon version for my dad without bothering a friend on Verizon. But I think it's kind of BS also.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I have a similar question but on Verizon.

I purchased Verizon version with full price. During carrier verification it says I have to pay off my iPhone 7 from last year first and would have to pay a $30 upgrade fee. I don’t want to pay off the iPhone 7 because of promotional credit I am receiving. Can I just pop my current SIM card in the new phone to avoid all these non sense?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.