Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

High demand for the iPhone X will drive an upgrade "supercycle" this holiday season that could see shoppers spending the bulk of their holiday cash at Apple Stores, according to a note from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty (via Business Insider).

iphonexcolors-800x573.jpg

Given the high price of the iPhone X, which starts at $999, the iPhone X could "absorb" $30 billion of discretionary spending during the holidays, impacting other retailers. Huberty believes customers will be drawn to all of the new features in the iPhone X, and will reduce spending in other categories in order to afford the device.
"Apparel is a wallet share donor to other categories, with cell phones/technology and services being two of them. We see this upgrade supercycle coupled with the very high $999 iPhone X average selling price as a significant headwind to Specialty Retailers and Department stores in the fourth quarter."
After spending upwards of a thousand dollars on a phone, Huberty believes customers will be left thinking things like "'I just bought a $1,000 phone last month, I don't really need another pair of jeans.'"

Combined, Huberty believes iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus could take approximately $52.6 billion of spending away from other categories this holiday season. Given the limited supply of the iPhone X, other retailers could be impacted by sales of the device well into 2018 as Apple works to reach supply/demand balance.

Apple has not provided insight into iPhone X sales thus far, but the company has said demand for the new device, which sold out in just a few minutes after pre-orders went live, is "off the charts."

Article Link: iPhone X Predicted to 'Absorb' Up to $30B in Holiday Spending at Expense of Other Retailers

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yeah, let's see what the next cycle will look like. I'm sure they won't be doing much absorbing there, probably more leaking :D

KENESS

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
But don't most people buy it on one of the various installment plan options? Either through their carrier or Apple directly?

For better or worse, that pretty much eliminates the psychological "I just spent $1000 on a phone..." mindset which is the crux of this analysts argument.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Sure! Even if there was a shiny new X under the tree, people are still going to buy the normal other gifts. As Wilma Flintstone and Betty Rubble would say... Chhaaarrrggeee It!

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I bought the iPhone 8 on Apple’s payment plan. I pay $40 a month over 2 years. I don’t sit around multiplying my monthly internet, electricity, water bills by 12. That ’s the same way I look at the phone purchase. It’s the one piece of technology I use the most in a day. I want the best experience and cost really isn’t a factor. The iphone X is going to cost around $47 a month on the Apple payment plan, which isn’t going to deter most people.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Good for Apple’s bottom line now, but what about next year when everyone’s satisfied with their X and unwilling to spend any more for at least two years, if not more due to the extra cost this go round?
I think the hope is that next year will be sustained by the people who didn't buy 1st gen cuz 1st gen, or had an older phone and just hung on a little longer. The year after that you get the 7's and the 8'ers. Year after that you get the 1st gen X'ers. Basically the same thing that happens now.;):D

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Apple no longer makes money, they absorb it.
"iPhone: the most absorbent smartphone on the market! It can sop up more than ten times its weight in cash!"

I'll find out just how convinced I am in a few days. I want to try out the X with my own hands before I make that expensive a decision.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Makes sense. I know several people opting for the 256GB iPhone X. With AppleCare and taxes that’s almost $2,000 in Canada. And several mentioned they’re postponing other purchases (like laptops or 4K TVs) until later so they can get their iPhone now.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I think the hope is that next year will be sustained by the people who didn't buy 1st gen cuz 1st gen, or had an older phone and just hung on a little longer. The year after that you get the 7's and the 8'ers. Year after that you get the 1st gen X'ers. Basically the same thing that happens now.;):D

Yup I agree. I usually always get the second model when a new phone is revised. I been stuck on the S models since the 3GS. Currently been holding my 6s for 3 years now and still running strong

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Possibly, though supercycle would surely imply a significantly reduced pool of potential upgrades for next year? And considering the iPhone is still 60%+ of apple’s business a slow year would be pretty dire, even if they do clean up this year...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.