Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Seriously? The Fandroids would have a field day.

Well, at least Gameloft should fix how the home bar behaves in Asphault8.
The thing is if you make a phone that 1 million people buy, you can switch things up from year to year. When you make a phone that 80 million people buy, you get stuck.

addad

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
I’m more bothered by the large amount of apps still not supporting the screen.

And there won't be many for a long time yet, maybe except for iPhone X exclusives and dedicated ones (and many devs won't secure their resources to prepare a dedicated just for this one device).

I'm just browsing the forums for guidelines and tips as UI artist working over the certain game, and I'm absolutely baffled by design choices Apple has made with X. Current situation devs are facing is an idea of a large screen, with all the marvelous OLED and x3 scaling... with safe zones restricting this large screen to a rectangle in the middle, basicaly denying access to this whole large screen. And without the safezones, the notch and home bar are very likely to interfere with the UI.

[edit - as the link got cut off the timestamp, ffw to 4:50 where you can see the safe zone problem illustrated]

This approach makes this beautiful screen an useless eye-candy, that exist solely to drain your battery. This will be especially problematic in mobile games designs - as you are either forced to hide the UI elements in collective menus (gimping the flow), packing everything into screen-centered boxes, or leaving fullscreen windows with UI elements wierdly floating, with a lot of unused space around. Or leaving it cardboxed, provoking the questions and concernes like yours.

Last edited:

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
There is absolutely no need for a bar.
Once all users get accustomed to it,
I hope all apps will fade it away after a few seconds like in photos app.

Reactions: simonmet

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I would not be shock if Apple adds bars to all four side of the phone in the upcoming iOS release.......So we know where to swipe at.....

addad

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
There is absolutely no need for a bar.
Once all users get accustomed to it,
I hope all apps will fade it away after a few seconds like in photos app.
The core of the problem is in interaction not the looks itself. While apps can force hide home bar, you still shouldn't place active elements in that place as you can provoke miss-swipes. Afaik there's a double swipe function (one swipe to highlight and second to activate it), still I can't really imagine playing something like Hearthstone comfortably, without inducing the bar, or home, every now and then. And to ignore the notch safezone you have to force the app into the locked screen position.

In the end, of course, it is possible to "embrace the notch" by crafting an UI and UX for iPhone X limitations, but is it really a good move when there are millions other devices on the market, iOS and Android alike, without such a silly problems? If you have an iP6 for instance, would you like your app from the Appstore to have everything crammed into the corners and requiring additional tap just because this solution looks better on the high end phone?

Reactions: roeiz

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Is there any way to remove the home bar?

I play a lot of games and, actually, do a lot of things on my phone where the home bar sits present and persistent the whole time.

More than it being in kinda annoying, I’m worried I’ll burn my screen in with a home bar if I’m playing my games too long.

Is there any way to get rid of it or hide it somehow? I don’t really need a bar to remember me that a swipe up is home.

Thanks!

How can the little home bar annoy you but the massive, black notch not?

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
I would not be shock if Apple adds bars to all four side of the phone in the upcoming iOS release.......So we know where to swipe at.....

there will be a bar under the battery indicator for the next update

LostInTheTrees

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I discovered this when I started to read in bed, on the Kindle app, in white on black, with the brightness turned all the way down, in a darkened bedroom, as I do every night.

The bar at the bottom was blinding. I had to hold the phone so that my thumb covered the bar as I read. This "Home Bar" is a terrible idea. Since the home gesture will be used maybe dozens of times a day, even the dimmest user will catch on without a visual cue.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
It’s really distracting and absolutely ridiculous to have it there. It bothers me much more than the notch. Does Apple think its users are that stupid?
Also, the app switcher needs some work.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I hope like hell, in a software update, they will give the users the ability to remove the home bar. I see that more than I do the notch.

Reactions: Buckeye2009

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't mind the home button being visible momentarily for a few seconds to remind you of its function but it should disappear. I have a feeling it's persistent now to help people get used to the new UI.

The only place it bothers me in on HBO Go, it appears just below the video playing. Since it vanishes on Netflix, I'm guessing that's a developer decision in that case.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
And there won't be many for a long time yet, maybe except for iPhone X exclusives and dedicated ones (and many devs won't secure their resources to prepare a dedicated just for this one device).

I'm just browsing the forums for guidelines and tips as UI artist working over the certain game, and I'm absolutely baffled by design choices Apple has made with X. Current situation devs are facing is an idea of a large screen, with all the marvelous OLED and x3 scaling... with safe zones restricting this large screen to a rectangle in the middle, basicaly denying access to this whole large screen. And without the safezones, the notch and home bar are very likely to interfere with the UI.

[edit - as the link got cut off the timestamp, ffw to 4:50 where you can see the safe zone problem illustrated]

This approach makes this beautiful screen an useless eye-candy, that exist solely to drain your battery. This will be especially problematic in mobile games designs - as you are either forced to hide the UI elements in collective menus (gimping the flow), packing everything into screen-centered boxes, or leaving fullscreen windows with UI elements wierdly floating, with a lot of unused space around. Or leaving it cardboxed, provoking the questions and concernes like yours.

And yet Fallout Shelter just got updated and looks great.

Tommi Jon

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to remove the home bar?

I play a lot of games and, actually, do a lot of things on my phone where the home bar sits present and persistent the whole time.

More than it being in kinda annoying, I’m worried I’ll burn my screen in with a home bar if I’m playing my games too long.

Is there any way to get rid of it or hide it somehow? I don’t really need a bar to remember me that a swipe up is home.

Thanks!
Playing Games is for Android!!!!

Kurisutofaa

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
u can try this..
click GENERAL
click ACCESSIBILITY
turn on GUIDED ACCESS
when u are playing game or in a movie, triple click the power button, ur home bar will disappear.
triple click the power button and ur home bar will be back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.