Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I love everything about my iPhone X except for when I get a call. The ring volume stays the same until I pick up the phone, then it lowers the ringer volume almost all the way.

How do I stop this? I have looked and looked and I don't see anything in the settings that can change this.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Aha! So it's not just me! This also happens on my 8, so it must be an iOS 11 issue/feature rather than something specific to the X.

Edit: Actually, I misread/misunderstood. My issue seems to be something different, although the result is similar; sometimes the phone is really quiet and other times it's loud, but the pattern I've seen so far seems to be the opposite of what is described here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattysmith118

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
No, it definitely isn't just you. This is probably the only thing I do NOT like about my new phone. Oddly enough my retired iPhone 7 had iOS 11 and it didn't do this. I wonder why?

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
At first I thought it was because my hand was blocking the speaker holes. Then I realized it must be either because I was picking up the phone and / or looking at it. Smart!

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Ur like to have the feature we 5S have manually turn off the ringer sound

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m wondering why is this annoying you OP? It’s such an awesome feature.

serum02

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Los Angeles
Does it continue to ring at the specific volume setting until it detects you've picked up the phone?

The phone will ring at the normal volume that you have it set at. Once Face ID detects your face, the volume will significantly decrease. You don't even need to pick up the phone.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Aha! So it's not just me! This also happens on my 8, so it must be an iOS 11 issue/feature rather than something specific to the X.

Edit: Actually, I misread/misunderstood. My issue seems to be something different, although the result is similar; sometimes the phone is really quiet and other times it's loud, but the pattern I've seen so far seems to be the opposite of what is described here.

Settings
Sounds
Toggle off change with buttons

Volume of ringtones will then not be affected by media volume.

ljusmc

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
why do you want your phone to keep ringing at full volume after you realized you have a called and are looking at the screen?

unxvz

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2018
Turn off "Attention Aware Features" in settings under Face ID and it will stop. I love the feature.
Thank YOU !
i set it off and then i really have bad feeling and miss this amazing feature !

and i set it ON again !!!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
WHY WHY OP. TELL US. :D

I'll take a guess...OP may work in a noisy environment & the dramatic drop in volume may make them think the caller has hung up, so they need to keep checking the screen? I'm not sure if this makes sense. I don't have an X, so just speculating.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Another nice feature of attention aware is to limit the data shown in notifications until an authorized user has unlocked the phone.

i.e. iMessage/txt/email previewing

It would be nice to be able to keep attention aware on and configure individual areas it affects.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.