iPhone X iPhone X Scratches

gio2369

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
I was wondering I have a few minor scratches on my iPhone X screen. Was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to remove them.. thanks.

htc fan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
Just curious why didn't you get a glass screen protector in the first place to avoid this from happening

gio2369

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
I normally do.. I’m just super careful with my apple products but I think my 2 yr old got to it

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Screen protector to cover them up is your only option (besides screen replacement). Any attempt to remove the scratches will also damage the AR coating.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Well that stinks but thanks guys for your help!
If its only minor scratches, I would assume it can only be seen from certain angles with good lighting, so hopefully it not too noticeable and if that is the case don't worry about it. Glass is meant to break

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Just curious why didn't you get a glass screen protector in the first place to avoid this from happening
Because Screen protectors are optional, they’re not something that everybody thinks about purchasing right away with an iPhone or any smart phone for that matter. I personally don’t think screen protectors are necessary as I feel the displays are durable enough without them, but everybody treats their iPhone differently.
[doublepost=1519888610][/doublepost]
I was wondering I have a few minor scratches on my iPhone X screen. Was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to remove them.. thanks.
Also, the scratches if they are minor, is likely on the oleophobic coating, but as others have noted, if you truly want to hide them, a screen protector is your best option.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Because Screen protectors are optional, they’re not something that everybody thinks about purchasing right away with an iPhone or any smart phone for that matter. I personally don’t think screen protectors are necessary as I feel the displays are durable enough without them, but everybody treats their iPhone differently.
Agreed, but after spending $1k on a device, I'd be sure to protect it.

gio2369

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
I have purchased my screen protector, I just figured there could be a way to remove the minor scratches...

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have a deep scratch on the screen of my X. Before anyone tells me to use a screen protector, let me tell you that I have not used one since 2013 with the iPhone 5s and I took it off by 2014.... so, I have had a new iPhone every year (6 plus, 6s plus, 7 plus, and now the X) and I had NEVER had a deep gash in a screen. No screen protectors. I am not wearing new earrings (I don't even put my phone near my ears anymore), I do not put it in pockets with keys. I do not put it face down, because I have no case on it.

In that many years (4 of them now) I have never had this problem. I baby the X more than the others, really. I have had micro scratches on some of them, just a few barely visible, etc. But, I have NOT had a deep gash. There was no incident. The X has never been dropped.

It was not there Friday night and by Saturday night, it was.

I really do think these are more likely to scratch based on my anecdotal evidence. I'm not pleased. I knew I had to guard against dropping the thing and I do not treat the screens roughly, but COME ON.

I do have AC plus so this isn't any sort of disaster. The scratch is middle of the screen, closer to the bottom than the top, and about an inch long with a very slight curve to it. It does not impede my use of the phone at all. It is annoying, though.

Reactions: mavis

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I have a deep scratch on the screen of my X. Before anyone tells me to use a screen protector, let me tell you that I have not used one since 2013 with the iPhone 5s and I took it off by 2014.... so, I have had a new iPhone every year (6 plus, 6s plus, 7 plus, and now the X) and I had NEVER had a deep gash in a screen. No screen protectors. I am not wearing new earrings (I don't even put my phone near my ears anymore), I do not put it in pockets with keys. I do not put it face down, because I have no case on it.

In that many years (4 of them now) I have never had this problem. I baby the X more than the others, really. I have had micro scratches on some of them, just a few barely visible, etc. But, I have NOT had a deep gash. There was no incident. The X has never been dropped.

It was not there Friday night and by Saturday night, it was.

I really do think these are more likely to scratch based on my anecdotal evidence. I'm not pleased. I knew I had to guard against dropping the thing and I do not treat the screens roughly, but COME ON.

I do have AC plus so this isn't any sort of disaster. The scratch is middle of the screen, closer to the bottom than the top, and about an inch long with a very slight curve to it. It does not impede my use of the phone at all. It is annoying, though.
I mentioned it before in another thread, but I think Apple changed something with the oleophobic coating process. A lot of scratches are usually surface type scratches and they are not on the display itself, but on the coating itself. So that might be what happened to you. But I don’t blame you for not wanting to see a scratch on an iPhone that cost $1000.

Reactions: bunnicula

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I mentioned it before in another thread, but I think Apple changed something with the oleophobic coating process. A lot of scratches are usually surface type scratches and they are not on the display itself, but on the coating itself. So that might be what happened to you. But I don’t blame you for not wanting to see a scratch on an iPhone that cost $1000.
Hmmm. That may well be what happened. It is odd that I’ve never had this happen with any of the others. A different coating would explain it.

Reactions: Relentless Power

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
put a good screen protector on your iPhone X and you won’t even see the scratches
Apple store sell a Invisiglass screen protector which a they put on with a machine so that it’s perfectly aligned

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
put a good screen protector on your iPhone X and you won’t even see the scratches
Apple store sell a Invisiglass screen protector which a they put on with a machine so that it’s perfectly aligned
But not everybody prefers a screen protector as others have mentioned variously throughout this thread. I understand that’s the risk you take without a screen protector, but no one should have to purchase a protector when the iPhone display should be considered durable enough.

Reactions: Preed08

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
But not everybody prefers a screen protector as others have mentioned variously throughout this thread. I understand that’s the risk you take without a screen protector, but no one should have to purchase a protector when the iPhone display should be considered durable enough.
Yeah... that's my perspective.

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
scratch proof glass is incredibly brittle, which is why it is avoided. Unless you like looking at ugly scrapes and scratches, put a screen protector on every touch screen device you buy, regardless if it is an iPhone, tablet, android, or laptop.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Because Screen protectors are optional, they’re not something that everybody thinks about purchasing right away with an iPhone or any smart phone for that matter.
I couldn't stand a scratch on my screen. I consider the phone optional and always buy the screen protector before I even get the phone...

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
scratch proof glass is incredibly brittle, which is why it is avoided. Unless you like looking at ugly scrapes and scratches, put a screen protector on every touch screen device you buy, regardless if it is an iPhone, tablet, android, or laptop.
I have seriously never had an iPhone in four years now (used to use screen protectors before that) that got a scratched screen. I hate screen protectors. They always wind up looking like ****.

balderoine

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
You can make them almost invisible by putting a glass screen protector on top. Even thought it's after the fact, you won't be able to see the scratches anymore.

This worked on my iPhone 5s.. My screen had normal wear but once I put the glass screen protector, they were basically gone and I had a new smooth surface.

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Since the iPhone glass screen is curved at the edges, I dont like the edges around the screen protector since they don't fully cover the curve to the silver band but leave a mm or two gap......

balderoine

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
Since the iPhone glass screen is curved at the edges, I dont like the edges around the screen protector since they don't fully cover the curve to the silver band but leave a mm or two gap......
You could use an edge to edge screen protector http://a.co/68cOE8x

I used one before with the iPhone 7 Plus and I absolutely loved it.

Nowadays I use a glass screen protector by Blackweb and I love it. The thin and round edge design makes it less noticeable. I get the screen protection and to me it looks like candy.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
You can make them almost invisible by putting a glass screen protector on top. Even thought it's after the fact, you won't be able to see the scratches anymore.

This worked on my iPhone 5s.. My screen had normal wear but once I put the glass screen protector, they were basically gone and I had a new smooth surface.
That’s usually the recommendation I make for those who end up with some scratches on the oleophobic coating, use the screen protector, which usually conceals any micro scratches that were visible prior.