iPhone X iPhone X screen colour issue, dull display.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkundi, Dec 31, 2017.

1. jkundi macrumors regular

Hi all, bought my second iPhone X yesterday in Silver from Argos and not an Apple store (1st mistake), set it up as usual started using it till I noticed when having the exact same display setting as my first (Space Grey) iPhone they appear completely different when it comes to contrast and lowest screen brightness. The Silver tends to display less deeper blacks and dims far more than the Space Grey.

Is this related to allowing the iPhone X screen to burn in? Will the colours change over prolonged use. I didn't notice this with my Space Grey (three weeks usage, very vibrant colours) and only with the Silver.

I've tried a factory restore, set-up as new iPhone, turned True Tone off, turned auto brightness off, made sure no zoom function is activated.

What are your suggestions? Having bought from Argos they will not return an open iPhone.

Thanks

Regards
    Jas

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. jkundi thread starter macrumors regular

Argos do not allow returns on electronic devices such as Apples unless faulty. But I’m unsure how to show/portray that I’m unhappy with its screen when compared to another iPhone.

4. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Can’t you take it to Apple as a faulty device? And yes huge mistake getting it from anyone other than Apple.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Are you saying it is only bad at the lowest screen brightness? If so that is understandable. At the lowest settings even LCD screens look bad.

6. jkundi thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is bad at its lowest setting, issue is I tend to use it at its lowest when in bed for reading iBooks. This is exactly when I noticed the issue too and thought it was odd, as the Space Grey was looking ok - this led me to investigate further.

Went back to Argos today and told me to go Apple store, as they refuse to replace the phone with another. This is due to them not having technical staff who are able to distinguish the issue with the display. To them it looks like a fully working iPhone.

7. gahig ulo macrumors 6502a

gahig ulo

so your only problem is dim?try going to accesibility-display accomodation-reduce white point make sure is off,if your problem is the pink hue then that different story

8. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Never heard of Argos, are you in Europe? I'm pretty sure the consumer law there are much better than USA. You should be able to return it for any reason especially if it is within 14days of purchase.

9. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

Tell them it keeps shutting down - they’ll then replace/refund or put it in DFU mode, take it in and tell them it keeps doing this.

10. j800r macrumors 6502

They’ll probably be in the UK like me. Argos is a catalogue order store.

Blacks should always be just as deep for an OLED screen so I’m confused why the experience of less deep blacks unless it was an LCD panel. Very bizarre.

11. fred98tj macrumors 6502

If it’s an LCD panel then it would obviously be a fake iPhone X

12. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

You can if it is unused, the OP clearly has used it...Argos is a catalogue store, traditionally used by people buying small items on credit, but often one of the few that actually has stock and you can order online and pick up in store within an hour without an account. So can be a convenience. I just found that Apple direct is the much better option, its not like it is cheaper anywhere else unless you get staff discount perhaps.

13. j800r macrumors 6502

Hence “very bizarre”.

Honestly.

14. UnifiedMelody macrumors regular

UnifiedMelody

always buy apple phones outright from apple if you really need to try them out... tip number one.
    dont think it has anything to do with burn in, that will happen eventually to all oled iphones to some extent.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2017 ---
    this is true, pretty sure all apple iPhones are same priced everywhere [especially in australia] so it becomes a freaking no brainer that the best place to buy iPhone is from apple retail store especially outright. you get the gold class treatment even and an undisputed returns policy should you not be happy with the product in anyway <2weeks. which other stores usually can't match up towards... plus you're also dealing directly with apple in some way so theres that option too.

if im not mistaken most iPhone stock tends to go to apple store [obvs] rather than retailers so the chances of getting it is better there with constant live update on the apple store, also ability to reserve one!

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Do not think you will find any display that looks good when at it’s lowest brightness setting.

16. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

the refresh rate on the X is changed depending on brightness (you can see the flicker change), so it's possible you're seeing a result of that. plus it largely depends on the panel lottery, like that reddish tint being more prominent on some X's more than others.

17. jkundi thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Well after two visits to the store and dealing with pathetic customer service I decided to speak to Apple directly over the phone and told me to provide Argos with a Apple Support Case ID# which I did, they totally agreed that I shouldn't need to come to an Apple store when Argos could exchange on the spot, legally my right. Having spoken to the manager for the third time and relaying all this information to him he decided to exchange the iPhone, but did not have any in stock so a home delivery was scheduled. Well got a replacement today! Finally! I can report that the blacks are black, tested in a pitch black room alongside my Space Grey iPhone X, overall colours appear very rich when brightness is set to its lowest - no washed out grey looking colour tones. I have noticed that the replacement phone does have the dreaded pink tint unlike my Space Grey but I can live with that.

18. TokMok3, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

I'm learning to embrace the pink as well, I don't want to exchange iPhones every 2 days, because I might get a good screen but a malfunctioning camera. This is my second iPhone X, the first one had a malfunctioning camera but a perfect screen, the second iPhone has a good camera but not a perfect screen, some pink to the right border. This situations should not be, because we are paying a premium price for a suppose to be premium product.

Control quality has gone by the boards in the last 15 years. I really miss the old days when I use to be a proud owner of a product that was labeled "Made in the USA", that was synonym of quality and respect around the world!
    [/QUOTE]

19. j800r macrumors 6502

[/QUOTE]

No tint on mine. Still pretty sure that must be a defect on some screens. If it’s not an off-axis tint you should have for right to return still.

My experience has been great so far tbh.

20. Itsmagicmagic macrumors newbie

Check if it’s an original one check coverage n it will show up.

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

OP, good job on making sure you got a return.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

[/QUOTE]
    Made in the USA is not a synonym of quality and respect around the world. Far from it.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Made in the USA is not a synonym of quality and respect around the world. Far from it.[/QUOTE]

I tend to trust "Made in the USA" more so than Mexico...

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I tend to trust "Made in the USA" more so than Mexico...[/QUOTE]
    Made in China is more common. Don't think I've ever bought anything made in Mexico before.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You'd be surprised... China sells you the mobile and several gadgets. The bigger home stuff? Nope. Cars? Nope.