iPhone x shortage hurts Apple??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spooner83, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

All of these scumbags who are flipping iPhones just to make a quick dollar for their greed, are they hurting Apple's profits? In some cases a shortage helps Apple spread out their profits for months but in other cases iPhone scalpers are hurting Apple's profits. Agree??

2. AFEPPL, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No, the phone sells regardless of who buys it and for what reason.
    Once its sold, apple have their cash either way.

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Yeah, a sale is a sale as far as Apple sees it.

4. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

So a person who flips a phone is a scumbag? Really? Why do you feel you have more right to a phone than anyone else who goes through the exact same purchase process as you? Why are you entitled? What if they flip the phone and donate the profit to a charitable cause? Still a scumbag? This was beaten to death in another thread. This mindset kills me. Wake up at the proper time, pre-order the phone, and do not worry about what any other person does with their phone that they legally and rightfully paid for. No one is forcing you to go on eBay and pay $3,000 for a flipped phone.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

/thread

6. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

it's not about scalpers buying it and selling it, i couldn't care less. it's about those of us who really want this and have to wait longer 'cause there aren't enough being made and the scalpers are only making the receiving times longer

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

So you couldn't care less about scalpers, but are upset that they are causing the wait times to be longer?

8. Spooner83 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spooner83

I am but I know I can't stop them, so as long as us true fans get ours on time then it satisfies us. I know it seems selfish but some of us have waited so long for this iPhone and it's unfair to us to have to wait longer. Imagine if you're a true baseball fan of a team you followed for years and you have been waiting for season tickets and then some wealthy dude buys the last tickets before you can, wouldn't you be upset??

9. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

The only way to stop scalpers to do their business is to have nobody buying from them.

10. SomeGuy2112 macrumors regular

SomeGuy2112

This happens with LOTS of things from sports / concert tickets to video game consoles and phones... Is what it is / the real world sucks.

Its like the snake eating its own tail. What you want is for everyone to be able to get one. If that happened, there would be no reason for anyone to buy / flip as nobody would be willing to pay over retail...

Not saying I condone it, but at the end of the day you can only speak with your wallet...

I'd be willing to bet there is a portion of the population that is willing to pay extra just to not wake up at crazy times to try to order.

11. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

If I did everything in my power to obtain the season tickets and someone else beat me to the punch, wealthy or not, I would not be upset.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Agree, some people don't understand "paying for convenience". Different people value different things. If I really WANTED to have something that was completely sold out, I would be thankful for a scalper.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Can't really blame the scalpers as much as the idiots who pay twice or three times the price, thereby making it profitable for scalpers. If I had the power to control people's mind, I would make it so that no one on Earth would pay a penny above the retail price for the phone, so the scalpers who buy up all the stock can't make any profit.

The whole thing is annoying because people shouldn't have to wake up in the middle of the night and hope that they are quick enough just to get a product in a reasonable time frame.

13. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

I don't get why you'd even pay above retail for something that isn't going out of production, and is gonna be produced in the tens of millions. Weird to overpay for a mass produced item that isn't only available for a limited time.

14. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Yes, people are idiots for spending THEIR money how THEY want to. Why does it bother you so much? On the contrary, people who wake up in the middle of the night or stand in line for an iPhone are idiots as well. LOL.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Simple. Because people want it NOW, they don't want to wait.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Say whatever you want about people spending their money how they like, you're an idiot if you spend 3 times the value of a luxury product just to get it a bit earlier.

I think that people who wait in line for hours or days aren't much better, but at least many enjoy the experience. My simply waking up 2 hours earlier one day than I would have normally to preorder isn't quite the same thing.

16. SomeGuy2112 macrumors regular

SomeGuy2112

Different strokes for different folks... Makes the world go around.

You can either play the game and move on, or sit and whine about it.

There are times I've over paid because I could afford to and wanted something, times I've gotten things on the first pass, and times I've waited. At the end of the day, who cares. Make the decision that is right for you and move on. Plenty of "real" problems to be actually worried about. When I think of the damage from the recent weather events and what those people are going through, whether or not my shiny new iPhone shows up on Friday seems pretty insignificant.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A product constrained by supply can hurt the company. But not because of the people who flip said product. If someone wants to buy Product A, but it will take 3 months for Product A to be delivered to that person, and Product B can be obtained in a shorter time and the person is not willing to wait the 3 months for Product A, the company that makes Product A just loss a sale and money.

It's a balancing act. A product with low supply/high demand can create hype and get people to buy into it, but it can also back fire and cause sales to eventually collapse and failure of the company.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. To Apple a sold phone is a sold phone. If Apple could make them at a decent enough rate to mostly satisfy demand the scalping market would be much smaller. A big portion of the professional scraping market is to countries where the X won’t initially be sold. Again that is Apple’s choice or necessity because of availability.

Apple isn’t looking to spread out profits over months like an installment plan. It wants and needs a blowout monster quarter. That is what moves the stock higher.

19. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I agree. Although I am not a fan of scalpers, I bought a pair of Airpods for $200 from one earlier this year.

20. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

It just merely delays the sale..but it will sale.