iPhone X: Silver or Space Grey?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teknikal90, Oct 5, 2017.

?

what colour are you buying?

1. Space Grey

47.3%
  2. Silver

55.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Any compilation galleries showing the difference in the two colours?
    I like the space grey more admittedly, I think the space grey iPhone 8 is beautiful. However I don't like that it's a coated/painted stainless steel (or whatever "physical vapor deposition" means) on the X.
    I keep my phones for like three years and a chipping stainless steel band would be horrible.

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

There is a current thread started discussing similar topics as yours.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-which-color-storage-are-you-buying-merged.2066981/

3. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

5. Mackneezie macrumors member

Mackneezie

There's a lot of talk about what the sides of the Space Gray looks like. There aren't really any good pictures of it. If it's Black Stainless Steel I may end up getting it, but if it's not stainless and matte I'm not sure I will like it. Silver looks pretty dang good, but SS is a little flashy for me. Crap I can't decide again haha.

6. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Silver. The white back looks classy and the fact that it has a black front makes it even more appealing

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I like Matt black and I like Rosegold and I like whatever color my iPhone 8+ has, kind of rose whatever . But Apple is not offering those at this time. Hope next year they will.

8. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

This. Since they all have black fronts, I’m going with the white back. Not that it matters since I’ll have it in a case. Lol

9. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

I always go black fronted iPhone but from pictures I really don’t like the colour of the back glass panel on the SG 8, would have been better to make it black and maybe have silver sides for an iPhone 4 look. It’s far from a deal breaker but if you really care about the aesthetics of your phone it doesn’t look great in this instance to me.

10. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

to me the SS seems too flashy. Would've been great if it was the brushed SS from the iPhone 4.
    But it is what it is. I think i'd go with silver for fear of chipping on the space grey.
    anyone know what the heck physical vapor deposition means?

seems to be a very different process to how the SS apple watch is coloured black.

11. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Physical vapor deposition essentially means it improves hardness and corrosion resistance. For example, many firearms or handguns, use PVD coating to protect the firearm from corrosion resistance against outside elements.

The Diamond like carbon coating (DLC) is used on the stainless steel black Apple Watch, that's essentially a protective layer that just protects against scratches.

12. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i wonder how duirable that coating is

13. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I will be going with Space Grey as I prefer darker for my phones. Also, I feel like it leaves a better chance for me to get one at launch.

14. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Not quite. DLC is a coating applied using a PVD technique. DLC is the hardest type of coating so if Apple is specifying PVD over DLC the finish will be inferior to what is on the Apple Watch.

15. Relentless Power, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

You're incorrect, the finish will not be inferior to what is on the Apple Watch, because you're not understanding the core differences. Apple never specified PVD over DLC finish, furthermore, they are separate entities with chemical versus vapor. . And What I stated was entirely accurate with both examples prior. But you're not factoring the differences of the materials of how they are applied And for what applications. Physical Vapor Deposition describes a variety of vacuum deposition methods which can be used to produce thin films and coatings. The Most common applications are automotive parts and firearms against corrosion and oxidization. The concern with physical vapor deposition is that overtime, it can peel or started to degrade.

The only purpose of diamond like carbon coating is to assist with sustainability and prolong the life of the product. For example, DLC is very common in the medical field for internal replacement parts for longevity.

The case of the space black Apple Watch, DLC is a much harder coating over a PVD coating. It's Possible they could use the same process, but both coatings are completely different and are not comparable on how they are applied. Diamond like carbon coating is a much more efficient and sustainable manner to protect the product versus PVD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

http://www.pvd-dlc-coatings.com/

https://www.chronext.com/journal/mechanics/a-timely-question-–-the-difference-between-a-pvd-dlc-coating

16. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I think what the guy meant, was that since Apple didn't market the coating as DLC, when they do for the Apple Watch, it's probably not that on the iPhone X, and is therefore not as sustainable (durable) as the apple watch coating.

silver it is then, for me.

17. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I think either one will be fine for me for 1 year of use.

18. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Shame it isn't DLC, would happily pay a premium for the excellent hard wearing surface I've enjoyed on now two Apple Watches.

19. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Actually, when the first generation space black Apple Watch originally launched, Apple did advertise the diamond like carbon coating.

With the Series 2 and Series 3 space black stainless watch, Apple did not advertise the diamond like carbon coating, but it has been verified that they do use the DLC coating on the Series 2 & 3 on the Space Black. There was an actual thread started on this in the Apple Watch forum, where others questioned if the DLC coating was applied to the later generation Space black watches, which an Apple employee did email back the forum member and verified it.

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Only one comes with a black front, so there is only one best answer.

21. ssrij macrumors 6502

Both have black fronts

22. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Silver 256 GB is my choice. The space grey is too dark for me, I find it depressing. I saw a silver one that was being waved around at the Apple announcement, by a tech writer, and thought it looked awesome.

23. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Nice! My quick search on the Apple Store indicated otherwise.

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Going for whatever the least popular option is since they both have a black front which is all I really care about.

25. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Yep, that is the point I was trying to get across. A DLC coating is applied using a PVD technique. DLC is generally the most durable so as Apple didn’t specify DLC like they do for the Apple Watch (or at least used to, I don’t own one) it’s a fair assumption to say it won’t be as durable.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---

Hmmm, questionable science. :)

PVD is NOT a coating. It is a method used to apply a coating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.