iPhone X stainless steel band

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tyknep, Oct 19, 2017.

?

Stainless Steel band Silver or Space Gray

1. Silver

2. Space Gray

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tyknep macrumors newbie

Looking at hands-on videos on Youtube, the stainless steel band on the Silver and Space Gray iPhone X’s are drastically different.

Which one looks better?

2. ray6712 macrumors 6502

ray6712

Like the deeper tone of the Space Grey version, but my daughter loves how shiny the band is on the silver so decisions decisions

3. tyknep thread starter macrumors newbie

I like the darker band of the space gray, but silver matches my stainless steel apple watch

4. FoxD macrumors 6502a

I like the silver, not a fan of the dark grey.

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I'll be sliding it into an in-car holder each day. The silver band will look like crap with micro scratches after a few goes at that. So I'll be going with the more durable space grey finish.

6. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

What makes it more durable than the silver?

7. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

If it is the same as the Space black on the Apple Watch, then it has a tough coating on the steel. People have reported that it’s almost impervious to scratching. Unfortunately, if it does scratch, it can’t be polished back to new like the plain stainless. Kind of a toss up, but I like the regular silver for that reason.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

It has a PVD coating similar to the Space Black Apple Watch.

9. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Ooh!! Didn't know that!! Do we have any indication of what particulate Apple's using for the X?
    Heh...would have been delighted if it was actually the black DLC from the watch. That would have been too much to hope for!!! :)

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

It doesn’t matter, most people will put a case on the phone anyway

11. MsRandall macrumors 65816

MsRandall

Im going with Silver this year to match my SS watch

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Not a fan of chrome, so I'll be getting the space gray iPhone X.

Disclaimer: This reply is intended as a serious reply. Thank you.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

14. santela macrumors regular

Prefer space gray but don't really care much since I'll be putting a case on it anyways.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

There is a significant minority of us who don’t use cases.

It does matter how the actual finish wears.

16. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

I always get the space grey/black everything but for some reason I like the SS band on the silver way more

17. shootertwist14 macrumors member

So true, last time i used a case was the iphone 3g days... all my iphones after that still looks great after a year when i need to dispose it to get a new one

18. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

From another thread... (too lazy to retype! ;) )

19. Ntombi, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I’ve had every phone (save one) since the 3G. I’ve only had a case on the 6. That matte finish was just too slippery.

I’ve carried every other phone naked, and had very few problems with wear and tear.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's likely true, which should be interesting to see how well the stainless bands hold up with cases surrounding it and how durable the physical paper deposition (PVD) really is.At least some third-party cases could perhaps cause some scratches around the bands.

21. Zigourney macrumors regular

that's exactly my fear...I always use a case, but unfortunately for me, my iphone 5s has actually got more scratches all the way around the band from case wear than anywhere else on the phone.

I prefer slim fit cases, but none of the slim fit cases that I like have any soft materials inside to mitigate scratches from the case itself, think only Apple cases have a nice felt inside them all the way round, but I find Apple cases too bulky for my liking which is a shame.

With the X though, I may just pick up an Apple silicone or leather case to use for the first couple of months, you know during the "honeymoon" period. After that I wont be so bothered and will revert back to slim fits.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And then there are those iPhone cases that have microfiber linings inside of them, which would be a benefit to protect the stainless edges. It's just I would be cautious with some third-party cases and the cheap plastic that may cause rubbing against the stainless Bands or debris that can get lodged in between the case in iPhone, causing it to scratch.

23. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I will be pre-ordering the Silver, I’ll put w clear case on it or something to avoid the scratches. Not long to wait now :):D

24. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

Can i please have the links for the videos, i am not sure what are you talking about.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2017 ---
    Lol not long to wait now but what about the delivery, will it be on time :p we will check this forum like crazy after placing order. Is it in china or HK, what plane its in etc.. etc...