Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I now have my 3rd X for a few days now and I am afraid this one is going back as well. I cannot get used to not having that extra width, something my eyes aren't quite adjusting to. It feels to me too much like a normal 7/8 just stretched vertically. Horizontal screen real estate is more useful than vertical in my opinion. Hopefully next year they come out with one that will satisfy those Plus users that don't mind the bigger physical footprint of the device. The screen I had on my last X was much nicer than the first two and have no issues with Face ID. I just cannot get over the dimensions which will be a love hate relationship for some.

Since you are a Plus user did you find navigating the X was Iike navigating a Plus and sometimes worse? I found that to be true using my wife’s Plus.

Last edited:

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Since you are a Plus user did you find navigating the X was Ike navigating a Plus and sometimes worse? I found that to be true using my wife’s Plus.

I didn't have too much of a problem with navigation, I actually liked the gestures built in to this phone but just the overall usable screen real estate is what got me. Everything looks crammed on the screen which is something I had trouble getting used to. It is all personal preference though. I always say to family and friends if you are coming from a 6/7/8 you will absolutely love the phone. Its about the same width with a bigger and nicer screen. Those coming from the Plus will have mixed opinions and I think it ultimately comes down to how you personally use the device (watching videos etc.).

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I didn't have too much of a problem with navigation, I actually liked the gestures built in to this phone but just the overall usable screen real estate is what got me. Everything looks crammed on the screen which is something I had trouble getting used to. It is all personal preference though. I always say to family and friends if you are coming from a 6/7/8 you will absolutely love the phone. Its about the same width with a bigger and nicer screen. Those coming from the Plus will have mixed opinions and I think it ultimately comes down to how you personally use the device (watching videos etc.).

I came from a 7 and had the X for 2 weeks and returned it because for me it was like navigating a Plus and even worse even though the X was about the same width naked as my 7 in a Magpul case.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I came from a 7 and had the X for 2 weeks and returned it because for me it was like navigating a Plus and even worse even though the X was about the same width naked as my 7 in a Magpul case.

At least you gave it a shot for 2 weeks. Its hard to tell just from going in store how it will fair during real world use. Its tough for me as this will be the first year of not upgrading to the latest. The 8 Plus doesn't warrant an upgrade from the 7 Plus in my opinion. Here is hoping next year there are a few variations of phones with OLED.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I now have my 3rd X for a few days now and I am afraid this one is going back as well. I cannot get used to not having that extra width, something my eyes aren't quite adjusting to. It feels to me too much like a normal 7/8 just stretched vertically. Horizontal screen real estate is more useful than vertical in my opinion. Hopefully next year they come out with one that will satisfy those Plus users that don't mind the bigger physical footprint of the device. The screen I had on my last X was much nicer than the first two and have no issues with Face ID. I just cannot get over the dimensions which will be a love hate relationship for some.

I completely get what you mean,
But still for me it’s not such a big deal.
And once all apps will be optimized it won’t feel that small.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I completely get what you mean,
But still for me it’s not such a big deal.
And once all apps will be optimized it won’t feel that small.

That was another thing is when will everything be fully optimized. Its already damn near December and you figure some will take months to do depending on the developer. If it does take some time after release your well into the product life cycle already which is why I am just waiting for the next go around with the larger screen. I have a hunch the new phones will be back on the September release schedule next year as the only reason for delay was production issues this year.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
At least you gave it a shot for 2 weeks. Its hard to tell just from going in store how it will fair during real world use. Its tough for me as this will be the first year of not upgrading to the latest. The 8 Plus doesn't warrant an upgrade from the 7 Plus in my opinion. Here is hoping next year there are a few variations of phones with OLED.

Yea this is the first year for me too. Wireless charging isn’t important to me but fast charging is. I use my iPad charger and it charges my 7 40% - 45% in about 30 minutes which is good for me. As far as OLED, believe it or not I don’t mind even a little bit LED. Apple nailed LCD.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
The iPhone X DOES NOT have bigger screen than the plus.

Yep. I have noticed that the plus users get really really pissed at the "X screen is larger then plus" comments.
Screens/displays are measured diagonally. But yeah, iPhone plus displays are wider.
At any case, plus is not my cup of tea. Far to large for my hands and particularity my pockets.

Reactions: haruhiko

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Yep. I have noticed that the plus users get really really pissed at the "X screen is larger then plus" comments.
Screens/displays are measured diagonally. But yeah, iPhone plus displays are wider.
At any case, plus is not my cup of tea. Far to large for my hands and particularity my pockets.

Those of us that are non Plus users who have made the comments have said that X the is like using a Plus. That’s my experience. Yea the X might not be as wide but even the width and other screen real estate it’s most definitely like navigating a Plus. Might be a little easier than a Plus because of the width but not that much easier. The only difference between the Plus and the X is pocketability but that doesn’t change navigation, just as easy 1 hand use as the 7 etc.

Reactions: BvizioN

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

It’s not about Plus / non Plus users. It’s about incorrect information. The actual usable screen area is smaller on the X.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It’s not about Plus / non Plus users. It’s about incorrect information. The actual usable screen area is smaller on the X.

True, but screens are not measured by the actual usable area, they are measured diagonally, from corner to corner. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
True, but screens are not measured by the actual usable area, they are measured diagonally, from corner to corner. Am I wrong?

Correct, corner to corner. Realistically the X has a bigger screen but not a bigger usable screen than the Plus if that makes sense.

the-iphone-x-is-smaller-than-the-iphone-8-plus-but-it-has-the-largest-iphone-screen-apple-has-ever-made.jpg

Reactions: akash.nu

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Correct, corner to corner. Realistically the X has a bigger screen but not a bigger usable screen than the Plus if that makes sense.

the-iphone-x-is-smaller-than-the-iphone-8-plus-but-it-has-the-largest-iphone-screen-apple-has-ever-made.jpg

Yeah, I know but others seem to be thinking this is incorrect information (see the comment I was quoting)
Even though Plus has a wider display and have more usable screen area, technically the X have a larger screen based on how they are measured.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
There are some of us that say the X is too big. What’s important to me is pocketability and the X is definitely pocketable. The Plus is too big for me cause it’s not pocketable.

What I mean by too big is navigation. The X is too big for true 1 hand / 1 thumb use like the 6/7/8 and a lot of ways the X is worse using the Plus for me.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, I know but others seem to be thinking this is incorrect information (see the comment I was quoting)
Even though Plus has a wider display and have more usable screen area, technically the X have a larger screen based on how they are measured.

Definitely a larger number on paper but between the safe area and only being as wide as the 6/7/8 non-plus models you are giving up real estate. It is the happy medium between the two models.

iphone_sizes.png

Reactions: akash.nu

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Definitely a larger number on paper but between the safe area and only being as wide as the 6/7/8 non-plus models you are giving up real estate. It is the happy medium between the two models.

iphone_sizes.png

The X is a little wider than the 6/7/8 isn’t it?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

The incorrect information is that X is better because of the bigger screen. That’s what the context was in the previous post that I quoted earlier. The total size is a moot point here when the actual usable area is not increased.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
The incorrect information is that X is better because of the bigger screen.

Not sure where you got that. For me is better because is larger screen (didn't say larger then plus) in a much smaller factor and I think that's what others are saying also. I always liked the larger display on a plus models and always been tempted to get it but every time I did hold it on my hand or put it in my pockets I got put off. The overall size of it is just to large for my liking. Not to mention that the thick bezels for me are just not acceptable with today's technology advancements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.