Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelo3232

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2016
is anyone else out there concerned that the 'x' will feel awkwardly small after using plus models for years? I realize the screen is bigger but the real estate in which to navigate that screen in terms of physical space is much smaller. I'm almost wondering if this might not be a reason to grab the 8plus this year and hope for a plus variant of the x down the road. Thoughts?

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
And it'll still be bigger than the Plus.

I'm with the OP. I think some people are hating on this because there's nothing new. The leaks revealed all.

Not from the renders I've seen. There's a thread about it somewhere

Reactions: ABC5S

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Month-old thread, but yes I am concerned about the screen size of this year's iPhone X. Decided to wait for the larger version likely coming next year.

Reactions: doctor123

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Ran an Xcode simulator and I get the feeling it will be cramped

Xorfopj.png

A54UY0v.png

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
The bigger version is coming next year. You’re supposed to buy this years then upgrade next year when they release the one you really wanted. You sound like a newb to apples eco system.

Which isn’t any different from the Samsung Galaxy ecosystem...

...or the whole android 10,000 phone per week ecosystem.

Everyone buys a new phone. Next year everyone’s new phone is no longer the top.

At least with Apple, that’s only once or twice a year. With android, it could be next week.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Yes the X will seem small. I recently went from a 7 plus to an s8. And even though s8's 5.8 screen is bigger than the iPhone 7 plus's 5.5 screen it feels small.

I initially hated the iPhone x because of the notch. The size of it is another added reason to not get it.

Those coming from the regular 4.7 iphones will have no issues.

Reactions: roeiz

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I’ve only had non plus models and am concerned about the Xs girth in my smallish hands. Only time will tell I guess.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I’m not too worried about losing some screen real estate as the phone will be easier to hold. Main reason I got my Plus was the better camera and bigger battery. If they add a better camera to the plus model next year vs the regular then I might need to go back to a Plus model :p

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
So many still “blinded” by the notch.

Just can’t accept that it is fact.

Exactly.! If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s as simple as that.

I’ve only had non plus models and am concerned about the Xs girth in my smallish hands. Only time will tell I guess.

The X is the same size as the non plus model in terms of width.

I’m not too worried about losing some screen real estate as the phone will be easier to hold. Main reason I got my Plus was the better camera and bigger battery. If they add a better camera to the plus model next year vs the regular then I might need to go back to a Plus model :p

X will not be easier to hold. Have you handled a bezel less device before? It’s a usability nightmare. Unless the touch rejection has been coded in well enough within iOS, it will be really difficult to manipulate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
X will not be easier to hold. Have you handled a bezel less device before? It’s a usability nightmare. Unless the touch rejection has been coded in well enough within iOS, it will be really difficult to manipulate.
But it does have side 'bezels' just enough that your palm/fingers shouldn't touch the screen when holding it.

The Samsung s8 has issues because it has no buffer zone at all.
[doublepost=1507990435][/doublepost]I'm looking forward to the new form factor, I have always found the Plus to be too big for one handed use, and too big for most pockets.

The X seems to me to be the best of both worlds, large screen, but small enough to handle easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.