Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
So the rumours are suggesting OLED in the next generation XR? Personally I hope that’s not true as I was hoping my next iPhone would still have LCD but I also find it hard to believe Apple have managed to get costs down enough to offer OLED at a lower price point. It would also narrow the gap to the XS even further and I doubt they want it completely taking sales off their premium models.

The rumour I read was that Apple would be switching to an all OLED lineup for 2020, not 2019.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The rumour I read was that Apple would be switching to an all OLED lineup for 2020, not 2019.
I would expect the XR replacement to come in 2020 anyway as the following year is always an S version with minor updates. Most people are also on 2 year upgrade cycles too so the next generation XR is perhaps the next possible upgrade for many of us.

If Apple decide to scrap it completely and try and arrogantly push everybody to buy the XS successor then that would be interesting and amusing.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I would expect the XR replacement to come in 2020 anyway as the following year is always an S version with minor updates. Most people are also on 2 year upgrade cycles too so the next generation XR is perhaps the next possible upgrade for many of us.

If Apple decide to scrap it completely and try and arrogantly push everybody to buy the XS successor then that would be interesting and amusing.
This falls in line with the rumor of the next iPhones using OLED instead of LCD.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008

Is a 2019 S version XR replacement (whatever they decide to call it) not expected? Even so, the next "major" / non-S version would be 2020 if there is one, which would fall in line with the "all OLED in 2020" rumour. I was thinking about whatever version of the XR, if any, is released in 2019.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is a 2019 S version XR replacement (whatever they decide to call it) not expected? Even so, the next "major" / non-S version would be 2020 if there is one, which would fall in line with the "all OLED in 2020" rumour. I was thinking about whatever version of the XR, if any, is released in 2019.

No one knows if the XR will be refreshed in 2019 or not, others on here already making claims that it won’t be, but I’m not confident in what everybody says on Macrumors either. I think Apple does have plans for the future of the XR, and by them offering a cheaper iPhone under the XS, allows for ‘bridging the gap’ for those who don’t want to spend a thousand dollars on an iPhone. I think the XR offers a lot of ‘tech’ for the money, but I do believe it _could_ be priced slightly lower to make it even more appealing.

Reactions: wineandcarbs

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would imagine there will be an XR variant this year as a new model comes out every year with minor spec upgrades etc. I was thinking more along the lines of the next major upgrade. It’ll be interesting to see how they distance the models once the XR gets OLED. I just hope they don’t deliberately make it crap going forward when currently it’s a really good device.

Reactions: wineandcarbs

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No one knows if the XR will be refreshed in 2019 or not, others on here already making claims that it won’t be, but I’m not confident in what everybody says on Macrumors either. I think Apple does have plans for the future of the XR, and by them offering a cheaper iPhone under the XS, allows for ‘bridging the gap’ for those who don’t want to spend a thousand dollars on an iPhone. I think the XR offers a lot of ‘tech’ for the money, but I do believe it _could_ be priced slightly lower to make it even more appealing.
Not to mention Apple have claimed the XR is their best selling iPhone, so to not refresh it would be more than a little confusing. I think it’s already been determined that you can’t pigeon hole consumers into buying the X/XS as the cost dictates interest.

I think Apple would feel the pinch pretty quickly if they didn’t offer an affordable iPhone in this day and age. I don’t think even they are arrogant enough to believe it’s not needed in the market and let’s hope they don’t have the same mindset as some of the more elitist members of Mac rumours lol.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I think this lineup would make sense for 2019:

iPhone XR (Plus?) with 401ppi/dual cameras/3D Touch if possible - $799 starting at 64GB
iPhone XI - $999 starting at 128GB
iPhone XI Max - $1099 starting at 128GB

With the first-generation XR still available at a new $699 price.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.