Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Just my opinion, but if Apple had put at least a 1080p screen in this years XR it would have eliminated a lot of the screen resolution naysayers. I have a Max but I really like my sons XR, the screen doesn't bother me in the least. I think it looks great. But by having a lower resolution, whether it affects usage or not, they opened themselves up to the "budget" talk. I don't view the XR as a budget phone at all, I just prefer the large OLED on the Max. Like members have posted above, I am also curious how the numbering system is going to go. Should be an interesting year.
I think I would have always gotten the max because it’s bigger and the Oled display. However had they put a 1080p display and a dual lens camera it would have at least been a consideration for me this year. However it was dead on arrival for lack of the aforementioned features.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
It’s a personal thing and comes down to what’s important for the individual. Mind, it’s seems that choice is confusing some people.

For me 1080p display is way down the list. Below Animoji. I don’t use Animoji but it keeps my 7 yr daughter amused when she gets bored. A 1080p display doesn’t and it doesn’t help my work in any practice way which is largely what I use my iPhone for. I had a dual lens before but hardly never took advantage of it. I take a lot of photographs (usually nature) and for that I have a DSLR camera. Smartphone cameras are fine for pictures or videos of ones cat or holiday snaps but that’s about it.

I have a feeling that the XR with have LCD until Apple can work out a way of getting rid of the notch, or at least hiding most of it. Then the selling feature of the X and MAX will be the no notch display. With the XR getting OLED and retaining the notch for a year or two.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I have a feeling that the XR with have LCD until Apple can work out a way of getting rid of the notch, or at least hiding most of it. Then the selling feature of the X and MAX will be the no notch display. With the XR getting OLED and retaining the notch for a year or two.

I think the way to differentiate the XR from the top models will be:

screen resolution
notch
single camera on the XR
thickness
bezel
keep A12 in XR for a few years
less expensive materials for casing

all of this will help making the XR a lot cheaper. The only thing is will the battery life of the top models eventually exceed the XR's when they get more modern tech while the XR stays on the same screen technology and CPU?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
1080p doesn’t make sense as that would just be a 3x point resolution downscaled to 1080p, so the best option is to match the XS with a native 458ppi resolution.

As much as I’d like a LCD model with a higher resolution, I don’t think they will bump the resolution from 2x point to 3x point because then it would be technically sharper than the OLED models which have fewer sub-pixels.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I’m going to be even more controversial in saying that the XR isn’t really a replacement for a X/XS. While it still looks and feels nice, it’s lacking the premium design and next-generation feel of the X. Then again, it’s not intended to be a replacement for the flagship iPhones.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m going to be even more controversial in saying that the XR isn’t really a replacement for a X/XS. While it still looks and feels nice, it’s lacking the premium design and next-generation feel of the X. Then again, it’s not intended to be a replacement for the flagship iPhones.

I’m not entirely sure the consumer actually cares about the ‘premium’ design with XR from the X/XS series. Why? All of Apples phones are really well-made and it’s clear when you hold them. What I don’t understand in your post, how is the XR lacking premium design? The design is exactly the same as the XS with an all display, Face ID, aside from an LCD panel versus OLED (Aside from the stainless bands), I mentioned it before, hardware is superficial, and it only ‘Goes so far’, visually what the consumer see’s, is a refreshed iPhone, from what the previous design was from the iPhone 6 through 8.

Last edited:

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
To me the XR feels more “premium” than the 6 & 7 series which not long ago were the flagship devices.

For most people it’s irrelavant anyway. I know that some people use their phones naked but I haven’t seen a single X, XS or XS Max out in the wild without a case. Clearly lots of people put their iPhones in a case. Many of those cases are cheap plastic. To me it seems pointless buying a “premium” device made of glass and stainless steel and then covering it in plastic. But each to their own.

Reactions: AlexJoda

BigG94

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't care what the model's future is. I'm expecting the black one currently in my belt pouch to have a future of being my phone for the next 4 years at least if not longer.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I don't care what the model's future is. I'm expecting the black one currently in my belt pouch to have a future of being my phone for the next 4 years at least if not longer.
I’m impressed and wish I could keep a phone for that long! The longest I’ve had a phone for was 1.5 years and that was considered really good for me.

BigG94

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I’m impressed and wish I could keep a phone for that long! The longest I’ve had a phone for was 1.5 years and that was considered really good for me.

I came from Android. I've never been able to keep Androids for longer than a couple of years because of the iffy support about updates and the fact that the batteries degrade so fast.

One of the selling points to me for iOS was the fact that they do support phones for a long time and one reason I specifically got the XR is the A12, which I am hoping will be a good dose of future proofing.

I don't have a contract with anyone ... I use an MVNO for my service ... and when I buy a phone it comes out of my hide, up front. So I can't afford that every year, plus I don't have to have the newest and brightest. I'm seriously looking at this XR for 4 years, after that we'll see, never going back to Android.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I’m not entirely sure the consumer actually cares about the ‘premium’ design with XR from the X/XS series. Why? All of Apples phones are really well-made and it’s clear when you hold them. What I don’t understand in your post, how is the XR lacking premium design? The design is exactly the same as the XS with an all display, Face ID, aside from an LCD panel versus OLED (Aside from the stainless bands), I mentioned it before, hardware is superficial, and it only ‘Goes so far’, visually what the consumer see’s, is a refreshed iPhone, from what the previous design was from the iPhone 6 through 8.

I should probably clarify — I don’t think the average consumer will care. They’ll just be happy to have the new design with the XR.

The difference will be evident to anyone who’s used a X or a XS though as the X feels fantastic and easily worth the price. The display is the most important part of the device to me personally, so every time I got a new iPhone (which was annually since the original) the first thing I did was compare the displays and come away happy at the improvements I inevitably found with each new generation. The LCD is nice for what it is and they really did a fantastic job calibrating the color but to a display nerd like myself it just doesn’t compare to OLED; ironically, I’m not able to use the OLED display on the X (or XS) due to the implementation of pulse-width modulation flickering so it’s a bit of a moot point.

But not everyone cares as much as I do, especially about the display and perhaps I’m in a class all my own as most other people who appreciate the higher quality build and display of the X/XS have the option to purchase that instead.

Last edited:

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
(...) people who appreciate the higher quality build and display of the X/XS have the option to purchase that instead.

I am still not getting what exactly you mean by "higher build quality" when you speak of the XS/XS Max.
Where is the XR lacking build quality?
I came from a iPhone 8 Plus to the XR (before that I had a 6s) and the build quality is exactely the same HIGH standard. No loose buttons, nice matte aluminum, glass back and front...

I see my coworker's X everyday and honestly, I must say the "build quality" of the aluminum-phones seems superior over the shiny stainless steel to me. On the shiny steel you see fingerprints, smudges, dust and scratches WAAAAY more than on the aluminum of the XR/8/7/6.... The X of my coworker looks awfull after a year without a case. My 3 year old 6s, that I still use as my work-phone and that I use without a case from day 1 as I always do looks a lot better than his X... (and I am not talking about damages like shattered glas or dents, just normal wear of the frame).

Also, I prefer the "feel" of the nice and matte aluminum a lot over stainless steel. Feels softer and just nicer to mee. I really hope, Apple will continue to make aluminum phones.

Last edited:

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
The design just comes down to personal preference. For me the shiny stainless steal on the X/XS and MAX is bordering on bad taste. It gives me the feeling of being too flash, bling, medallion man. Some Android phones are far more shiny and look ugly to me, although this does seem to appeal to the Asian market. Where stainless steal is used I prefer the brushed stainless steal look, like the sides of the iPhone 4.

However, I use a case so the sides are largely hidden and irrelevant. For the same reason I’m not a fan of the polished stainless steal on the Apple Watch. I prefer the aluminium badically because it’s matte. Altough I wish apple would make an aluminium Watch with a sapphire screan.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I don’t think the average consumer cares that much about the phone competing with a premium feel. Once the thing is put in a case it becomes very much like the X in terms of its front design. We’ve also grown used to aluminium casings on premium flagships up to this point, not to mention iPhone users are mostly using older handsets at this point in time anyway.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I don’t think the average consumer cares that much about the phone competing with a premium feel. Once the thing is put in a case it becomes very much like the X in terms of its front design. We’ve also grown used to aluminium casings on premium flagships up to this point, not to mention iPhone users are mostly using older handsets at this point in time anyway.

Completely agree. And what’s considered “premium” has as much to do with fashion than anything else. My late father collected early 1960’s transitory radios. All the “premium” brands used plastic and some of the designs are beautiful. Same with 1960’s plastic furniture. But then plastic was relatively new and offered designers something that just wasn’t possible using more traditional materials.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
I think the Xr will continue to be honest. I think Tim will make it a dual back camera and possibly upgrade the display but not to OLED I don't think. I think they will generally stick with the same materials etc and obviously have processor and ram upgrades. Possibly USB-C too. I think they will continue to improve the haptic touch solution and maybe extend that to the XS successor to if they can get it to replicate 3D Touch.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

Actually, I do think for a lot of people the XR is the best option. Build quality is excellent as usual but it lacks the premium feel of the X even though it still feels like a quality product.

It almost feels like there should be a Plus version of the XR with dual cameras and a higher-resolution display but I’m not sure that would fit in the lineup.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not much of a future if they continue to include old display tech at today's prices.

I’m sure I’m repeating myself, but does the consumer care about ‘old tech’ displays? No, They don’t. Maybe you have those who are more tech oriented on here that notice that type of disparity, but in the consumer world, they see new iPhone colors, Face ID and all display, they see exactly what Apple markets. Consumers do _not_ care about ‘Liquid retina’ monikers or what display they have. So I’m sure Apples future is perfectly fine, even though they do need to adjust the prices for the higher end iPhones to reflect strong sales. The price point is the problem, not the XR display, contrary to your opinion.

Reactions: mackinmike

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Actually, I do think for a lot of people the XR is the best option. Build quality is excellent as usual but it lacks the premium feel of the X even though it still feels like a quality product.

It almost feels like there should be a Plus version of the XR with dual cameras and a higher-resolution display but I’m not sure that would fit in the lineup.

I don’t really get the ‘premium feel’ vibe like a lot of people here. If a shiny but colder stainless steel band is the differential here for feeling more premium then I can easily live without that. Having compared these iPhones I certainly didn’t feel the XS felt any more superior in use, but then I’m not in the market for one anyway.

I think rather than a Plus version the current XR should have been the dual camera version and a smaller option should be available. A big criticism of the XR is that it’s a big device and this turns a significant proportion of buyers off.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I don’t really get the ‘premium feel’ vibe like a lot of people here. If a shiny but colder stainless steel band is the differential here for feeling more premium then I can easily live without that. Having compared these iPhones I certainly didn’t feel the XS felt any more superior in use, but then I’m not in the market for one anyway.

I think rather than a Plus version the current XR should have been the dual camera version and a smaller option should be available. A big criticism of the XR is that it’s a big device and this turns a significant proportion of buyers off.

Bottom line: to me the XR just doesn’t feel like an iPhone X. I generally prefer aluminum to stainless steel as well, but I think there’s more to the X that when you see and feel it makes it feel like a premium next-generation device. Sadly a large part of that magic is the stunning OLED display, which unfortunately utilizes PWM flickering which at its current implementation can cause eye strain among other issues.

I actually think the XR would fit better in the lineup at a smaller iPhone SE-class size, and that the 326ppi would work better at that level. I didn’t complain about the resolution before using it and gave it a chance, but the resolution is the main dealbreaker to me — frankly it looks blurry compared to the 8+. I didn’t agree with the criticism until I tried it (as I always give Apple the benefit of the doubt) but in my opinion its current position in the lineup amongst the flagship devices warrants at least 401ppi.

It wouldn’t be a major loss if the iPhone XR is replaced with a smaller device designed for the average consumer. But to the XR’s credit it has been successful so far, and I do think there needs to be an iPhone in the lineup at a $749-$799 price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kram Sacul

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I still think the XR will be returning for 2019. And I think it _should_ grow in popularity assuming Apple keeps the price point Relative. As far as hardware goes, I really don’t think the consumer cares that much about stainless bands, OLED displays, etc. Really, they just see exactly what is in front of them, that’s the form factor, Face ID, new colors, etc. And the most important thing moving forward, is the pricing structure for the XR and how does Apple update the XR to make it a better value over the 2018 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.