Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dbsr87

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Do you guys think Apple will continue to offer a “budget option” (iPhone XR) going forward or will it be a one time thing like the iPhone SE was?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Kuo already confirmed there would be a 6.1" model for 2019.

The XR is a $749 mainstream model that will represent the bulk of iPhone sales. So it would be crazy to not continue it.

The SE was always a low-cost device intended for emerging markets. Those markets have moved to larger devices (5" and 6") so there's no reason for SE to continue. The low-cost option is now iPhone 7.

Dbsr87

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Kuo already confirmed there would be a 6.1" model for 2019.

The XR is a $749 mainstream model that will represent the bulk of iPhone sales. So it would be crazy to not continue it.

The SE was always a low-cost device intended for emerging markets. Those markets have moved to larger devices (5" and 6") so there's no reason for SE to continue. The low-cost option is now iPhone 7.
That’s a good decision. The top end models have become way too expensive for some people.

$1,729 plus tax for the iPhone XS Max 256 GB in Canada. It’s crazy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do you guys think Apple will continue to offer a “budget option” (iPhone XR) going forward or will it be a one time thing like the iPhone SE was?

No, the XR is not like the SE. The iPhone SE was offered mainly because Apple brought that back as a limited editions to be as a global phone for countries where other iPhone models are too expensive in price. The XR easily has a much longer future over the SE, because the consumer generally wants a larger display, where all the other tech manufacturers are offering 6 inch smart phones in comparison.

Apple also understand that not everyone will be upgrading to the most expensive iPhone XS, which is exactly why the XR has now been a placeholder for that middleground phone that offer similar features, but for a cheaper price point.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015

If you see the apple store now iphone XR is sold out. Probably apple will discontinue XS and XS Max and would sell XR only as their main model.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If you see the apple store now iphone XR is sold out. Probably apple will discontinue XS and XS Max and would sell XR only as their main model.

I'm not sure you can infer anything from that TBH - virtually all models were available for launch day delivery up until Monday when they all suddenly went to 1-2 weeks delivery and are now all showing (in the UK at least) 3-5 days. Also, 3rd party retailers such as John Lewis are still showing stock of a lot of models for next day delivery.

To me, it feels more like supply chain management for the release than any genuine lack of stock

Reactions: Zune55

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Yeah. That’s definitely not gonna happen.

Why would you think that? You really think Apple will discontinue the XS/Max and simply keep the 6.1 XR iPhone as their main and only seller? There is no logic behind that.

sorry guys honestly i was just kidding, my bad :p I myself loved Max but because of 64GB storage i returned it. If it has 128GB for $1099 i would have kept it. TBH Xs Max is the most beautiful iphone i have ever hold. Today getting XR 256GB i hope i like it like Max.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

It’s not a budget iPhone though and is not even in the same league as the SE. It’s a mid tier device in their range that targets their mainstream consumer. I think if they no longer offered a phone at that price point they’d experience a big loss as people would be forced to buy cheaper older iPhones or go to Android. The average user isn’t as obsessed about the brand as a tech enthusiast and I think a lot of people here forget that.

choocn

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
I'm more curious on the nomenclature going forward. iPhone 11 and 11R?
If R is the "mainstream" phone, then it should stay,
and after iPhone 11R, the iPhone 11RS?

Or Apple might ditch the past nomenclature and start anew.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm more curious on the nomenclature going forward. iPhone 11 and 11R?
If R is the "mainstream" phone, then it should stay,
and after iPhone 11R, the iPhone 11RS?

Or Apple might ditch the past nomenclature and start anew.

It does feel a bit like Apple have painted themselves into a corner with their Roman numeral product naming. Logically, next year's would be XI and XIr but that would mean following it with XIs, XIrs, XII, XIIr, XIIs, XIIrs, etc, etc

Personally, I'd like them to drop the year suffixes across their product ranges (like they do with their computers) and go with iPhone, iPhone R and iPhone Max but I'm pretty sure the naming is done in part to drive annual upgrades so I can't see them dropping it.

I am intrigued by what they are going to do, though :)

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
It does feel a bit like Apple have painted themselves into a corner with their Roman numeral product naming. Logically, next year's would be XI and XIr but that would mean following it with XIs, XIrs, XII, XIIr, XIIs, XIIrs, etc, etc

Personally, I'd like them to drop the year suffixes across their product ranges (like they do with their computers) and go with iPhone, iPhone R and iPhone Max but I'm pretty sure the naming is done in part to drive annual upgrades so I can't see them dropping it.

I am intrigued by what they are going to do, though :)

Agreed, I’d love to see cleaner names like that but I don’t see them dropping the numbers for exactly how you explained it.

The iPhone XR and iPhone XS seem like decent names for the mainstream line and ‘luxury’ line going forward though. Maybe in the future we’ll see an iPhone XE at the lower end?

Also very curious where they’ll go with naming next year.

Reactions: Phil A.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think they'll keep it going. It's best for Apple to have options at many price points. iPhone sales have plateaued, Apple now needs to focus on bringing more customers into their ecosystem and driving their services business. I think we will see a monthly cost soon to have the newest Apple hardware each year, along with a services bundle.

Reactions: asfalloth

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
That’s a good decision. The top end models have become way too expensive for some people.

$1,729 plus tax for the iPhone XS Max 256 GB in Canada. It’s crazy.

the tax thing is atrocious, we're paying a 200aud premium with taxes inclusive on both sides...

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
If the Xr sells well I could see them doing iPhone Xr in 5.8 and 6.1. And then just calling the larger 6.5 iPhone the "iPhone Pro" and adding apple pencil support.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Most likely, Apple will offer a budget iPhone successor to XR, the question is will Apple upgrade the screen resolution or keep it at 828p and include dual rear camera if X-version goes for a triple camera setup next year or will Apple keep those specs unchanged so as to make the more expensive X-version much more appealing?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Most likely, Apple will offer a budget iPhone successor to XR, the question is will Apple upgrade the screen resolution or keep it at 828p and include dual rear camera if X-version goes for a triple camera setup next year or will Apple keep those specs unchanged so as to make the more expensive X-version much more appealing?

So scrap the XR line and just produce a budget iPhone instead you mean? I think the XR has a very prominent place in the line up and it surely serves the vast majority of Apples user base due to its price point.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
OLED will become cheaper and eventually replace LCD, and thus XR. And likewise, microLED will launch in few years and likely adopted by XS successors.

A better question to ask is, will Apple continue two price categories (of new models): mid-range ($600-800) and high-end ($1000 and up)? And I think the answer is a strong yes. Having two segmentation helps Apple to (1) boost average selling price, (2) more freedom to cram premium features on high-end models, and (3) maintain marketshare.

So to answer your question, in 2-5 years, I think XR successor will use OLED (and single rear camera lens) and XS successor will use microLED (and multiple camera lenses).

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
No no... I meant XR is the budget iPhone (at least compared to XS Max) and will Apple upgrade XR's specs next year- display resolution to 1080p and dual camera (if X gets triple camera) or will keep it the same?
I am quite OK with the internal specs of XR and also with the LCD but just wondering whether Apple will upgrade to 1080p LCD with HDR on XR version next year.

So scrap the XR line and just produce a budget iPhone instead you mean? I think the XR has a very prominent place in the line up and it surely serves the vast majority of Apples user base due to its price point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.