Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihakim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
I’ve been having this odd issue on my iPhone XR. Every once in a while when I go to open an app towards the bottom of my home screen it won’t open with the first 1 or 2 taps. Instead it briefly shows the pop up letter of the key on the keyboard that would normally be where the app is on the home screen if the keyboard were open and I typed that letter. After a few taps the app opens. This happens maybe 3-4x daily with only the app in the bottom row second from the right (iMessage). I thought it might have been a bug in iOS 12.1 but it still happens with 12.1.1.

Has anyone else experienced this on the Xr or any other iPhone or am I alone? I haven’t found any mention of it when googling.

Reactions: Jimmy Bubbles

Tguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2018
Same here on iPhone x.
Were you able to resolve this?

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
So glad I found this thread. Same problem here. Happens randomly after unlocking my phone at times when I hit an icon random letter pop up. It slows me down because I have to hit the icon 2-3 times then it opens Only happens right after unlocking the phone. It’s so annoying I found that returning on reduced motion in accessibility settings improved it drastically. I hope they fix it. XS Max here I think I remembered it happening on my X too

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I can confirm 12.1.3 beta 3 still does not fix this. Its a very annoying issue as often when I unlock my phone I have to hit the messages/mail or other icons 2-3 times before the phantom key doesn't pop up and the app actually opens. I'm learning just to live with reduced motion on as it pretty much doesn't happen and just makes it faster. Has anyone reported this to Apple. I got a feeling it does not effect many people or people just don't notice or care. Its definitely a software bug as it carried over from my X to my XS Max.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
I’ve had this on my X since later builds of iOS 11, I’ve reported it multiple times to Apple via the beta feedback app but its still not fixed.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I wonder if it’s something a few of us are carrying over in our backups? No way am I going to wipe my phone and start over. I’ll just keep reduced motion on until they fix it. I’m kind of getting used to it now and the animations feel slow when I turn it off.

ihakim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
I wonder if it’s something a few of us are carrying over in our backups? No way am I going to wipe my phone and start over. I’ll just keep reduced motion on until they fix it. I’m kind of getting used to it now and the animations feel slow when I turn it off.

Still not resolved for me. I also set up my iPhone XR from scratch without any backups when I bought it so this is an issue with the current build of iOS. Hoping this gets fixed in the near future. I forgot I created this thread and I’m glad to see now that I am not the only one.

Reactions: Jimmy Bubbles

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Ah glad I didn’t waste my time setting up as new. It really is annoying esp if you are quick at unlocking your phone and hitting the icons.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Yep - I have had this pretty much since the start with my XS. Posted about it as being like a weird treadmill when you try to scroll screens in that you go nowhere!

Reactions: Malcster

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Yep - I have had this pretty much since the start with my XS. Posted about it as being like a weird treadmill when you try to scroll screens in that you go nowhere!

Ah thanks, I mainly see it on my X when I unlock it, it's like the keyboard is on but invisible so i get a letter displayed on first tap. I realise it's not a critical bug in the grand scheme of things but its really annoying.

I'll check when i go up to 12.2, waiting for public beta, and report it through Feedback app (yet again)

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Still happens for me on 12.2 beta 2, I mentioned it in the 12.2 feedback survey thats in the Feeback app as well too.

The wait continues.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Yea I don’t think they will fix it as not enough people exp it. I just turn on reduced motion and it’s gone but I’d like for it to be fixed. Unlocking my phone and having to hit the message icon 2-3 times for it to open due to the phantom letters popping up is annoying.

dazb69

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Switch to a numeric passcode. Issue seems to be linked to using a alphanumeric passcode.

I switched back to numeric a few days ago and havn’t seen the issue once since ( was happening multiple times a day prior )

Reactions: Malcster

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I use alphanumeric passcode but always use face ID. Do you use face ID

Switch to a numeric passcode. Issue seems to be linked to using a alphanumeric passcode.

I switched back to numeric a few days ago and havn’t seen the issue once since ( was happening multiple times a day prior )

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Looks like you nailed it. Even though I use faceID I changed my passcode to numeric instead of Alpha numeric and the problem seems to have gone away. Also the issue where sometime I open an Imessage where the keyboard bounces up and down is also fixed. Very strange that this is the fix. It explains why many have not noticed as most people use a numeric passcode. I bet everyone on here with the issue has an alphanumeric passcode.

Reactions: dazb69

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Interesting, will give this a try, I did mention on my Apple feedback the passcode was alphanumeric, so still hopeful for a fix at some point! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.