iPhone XR iphone xr v xperia xz3 v samsung s9

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dawesie1, Oct 30, 2018.

1. dawesie1 macrumors regular

As my recent posts suggest, I am having a terribly difficult time deciding what to upgrade to from my >3 year old 6. I do want to stay with Apple but £799 is my max budget for a phone and I have narrowed it down to the 3 in the title. Having just ventured out at lunch and compared them in a shop, I cannot help but notice how much better the OLED screens are and, no doubt, the camera's are better than the xr, not to mention additional storage capabilities. Other than being Apple, I cannot see why an xr would be deemed better - can anyone advise?

I appreciate that this is an Apple forum therefore the answers may be biased, but I am sure there are plenty amongst us who have gone from Android to Ios and vice versa.

How seamless is the transition of data from an iphone to android (contacts, photos etc.)?

2. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

2 of those have Android by Google. Google earns money by selling your private data to third parties. Apple earns money by overcharging for iDevices and tempt you to buy their services. I like my privacy and don’t mind paying a little more. I just don’t trust Google.

3. dawesie1 thread starter macrumors regular

Google sells all data of all customers?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    Looks like there is another contender - the Huawei Mate 20 Pro. This looks better than the XR in pretty much every way. Any thoughts on this one?

4. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

7nm soc with an 8 core npu vs 12nm
    3d facial biometric solution vs 2d biometric solution
    Nvme storage vs ufs storage
    True edge to edge flat display vs curved display with forehead and chin
    120hz Touch sensing display vs 60hz Touch sensing display
    4K @ 60 fps
    Best in class dual speakers
    Apple support
    Dolby vision capable
    Better battery
    Apple App Store

Just to name a few.

and no the cameras are not better the camera on the xr is rather exceptional.

If you do decide to switch to android good luck on your switch, just bear in mind android phones lose their values very quickly, so never buy one at full price or rrp.

5. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Yup google does have a pretty strong data mining policy.

Doesn’t the Huawei pro retail for £900?
    Which would be above your self imposed budget.

When your looking above the £900 range I would personally pick an Xs or Xs max over the mate 20 pro.

Good luck on your whatever you choose.

6. dawesie1, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

dawesie1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, £899 for the 128gb mate 20 pro, so £100 more than the xr but to me the camera seems far superior, it’s sleeker and generally looks better than the xr and has a far better screen.

I’d want more than 64gb storage, but don’t need 256gb so it’s hard to compare to the xs due to apple’s pure greed strategy of cutting out the 128gb tier, so would have to compare it to the 256 which is a huge difference:
    Mate 20 pro £899 v xs £1,199. £300 extra is an awful lot.

7. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Cant call the camera superior if it’s unable to capture 4K video @ 60fps. Not to mention the mate 20 still uses ufs storage and not nvme like the xr does.

It’s not greed, if you look at profit margins on the iPhone it’s components cost more because they are superior to what android oems offer on their range.

Firstly if your coming from the iPhone 6 and your liking to keep your phone for 4 years, you won’t be able to do that. Huawei isn’t as fast upgrading their devices to the latest android releases as some other oems and security updates are inconsistent across the different vendors peddling android.

Secondly Huawei will only commit two years of android update if that. So if you keep your android handset for two years your phone would cost around £450 per year for two years and be close to worthless at the end of the two years. With the iPhone X’s max yes it does cost more at £1200 but if you keep your phone for 4 years the device will work out to £300 per year, or £400 pound per year for 3years, or £600 pounds for 2 years and still retain value when you decide to sell the device. Keep in mind android device start to hiccup, slow down and become unreliable a little after the 1 year mark of owning a device and retail value drops precipitously, it’s the cost of going android.

Bear in mind with the iPhone you will get throughout this period, day 1 iOS updates as soon as apple releases said updates where you don’t have to wait for 2-6 months just to update the os given the vendors schedule and list of priorities that may change 1 or 2 years out.

Thirdly if you have a problem with your device good luck getting Huawei or any android oem to service it or even fix problems or defects associated with said device. Apple on the on there hand will replace your phone or send it out to be fixed either through their iOS app or network of stores in the UK and around the world. You can’t put a price on that, especially given the problems surfacing regarding The mate 20 pros display which seem to be suffering from either quality control issues, design defects, or panel lottery that have been popping up and deleted by Huawei on their forums in China.

You might think your getting good deal but I guarantee you, if something happens you will learn that sometime paying a bit more might go a long way to have a stress free user experience.

If you do decide to switch to android wait until you get a good deal, 30%-40% of rrp, or your just burning money.

Good luck on your whatever phone you decide to purchase.

8. dawesie1 thread starter macrumors regular

Not ashamed to say I have literally no idea what that means. Can you put it in layman’s terms please?!

Fair points well made. I am still veering towards the xr if it can get over the thickness of the thing.

With regards to the first point, come on let’s not be naive - why don’t Apple just make 128gb the entry point? Or why is the 54/128/256 not consistent across the board? It is because the know if people are shelling out a grand for an xs they’re likely going to keep it for a while and many will more than likely not want to risk having a full phone for 2-3 years so will just take the hit on the 256 which is £200 more but probably £50 extra to make.

Take your points about the lack of android updates and support, though, and that will be a factor in my decision. However, every iPhone I’ve had has seen diminished performance after 12-18 months so that isn’t exclusive to android phones. A savvy company is hardly going to make a phone that works perfectly for 5 years if they want to stay profitable.

On the whole I agree Apple seems better, but I don’t understand the blinkered view that a lot of the irritating things they do (slowing down older phones, frustrating storage tiers etc.) are done for any reason other than to squeeze more profit.

9. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Not true. iOS 12 runs like a a champ on my old 6s and even my sons 5s. My 2015 6s is buttery smooth on 12. I think FFR explained it very nicely. You pay more but you get guaranteed softeware and safety upgrades and your privacy is better guarded. And because of that your iphone keeps it worth way better.
    If that's worth the extra cash is totally up to you.

10. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Nvme > ufs

That’s as simple as I can make it.

Recording video in 4K resolution at 60 frames per second can only be done on the iPhone at the moment. Android phones even though they charge the same for their devices cannot record at 60 fps.

Honestly don’t really care about the low or middle tier. I always buy the Highest capacity, makes very little difference to me.

But to claim apple is “squeezing more profit” is disingenuous. Their profit margin on iPhone is flat, which means they aren’t making any more profit then they always have. Prices have gone up due to more expensive components. Simple, I mentioned some of them on my previous posts.

11. mib1800 Suspended

Many android can record 4K at 60fps. You get your fact right first :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    Now the XR costs more than a Note 9.
    Insane isn't it. That's all I have to say

12. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

I was stunned, shocked even, to read that having Google as default search engine for iOS is worth paying Apple a cool $9 billion (huge increase over yesrs past).

I'm looking forward to Samsung using UFS3 (Galaxy S10) next year followed by DDR5. And you can add 512GB SD which is 4k certified.

I'll continue to buy iPhone the X is nice size and light) along with Galaxy (the S9+ seems like the (not too heavy and not as big as the Max). The S9 though is on narrow side but may try the S10. And I keep saying no to the Note series, but always end up buying one on AT&T plan.

Variety is the spice of life after all.

13. dawesie1, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

dawesie1 thread starter macrumors regular

Xs 64gb is £999, xs 256gb is £1,149 - are you saying that the extra 192gb of storage costs Apple £150 and they make zero extra profit? Apologies but I simply can’t believe that.

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Bloomberg: Apple’s Most Lucrative New iPhone Feature Isn’t Its Fanciest

"Storage costs Apple about 25¢ per gigabyte, while the company charges customers roughly 78¢. By doubling the maximum available amount, it’s digging deeper into this earnings gold mine. Apple charges an extra $350 to jump from the 64GB minimum to the new 512GB option. Data compiled by Bloomberg show that, excluding assembly and related software work, the largest storage option could make the company about $134 more per phone than the storage tier below, up from $107 in last year’s models. The 512GB option could make Apple $241 more per phone than the 64GB model."

15. naturalguy macrumors regular

The Galaxy s9 drove me to switch to the iPhone. I've been Android forever and was anti Apple however the last 3 Samsung's I've had all became buggy and laggy at some point. I had enough with the s9 being laggy. I finally made the switch to the iPhone Xs and it is a major difference in speed and smoothness. It's like night and day

16. mib1800 Suspended

Your XS will lag in no time :)
    It has already been planned by apple before hand.

17. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

No way. Apple just sped up the performance on older devices with iOS 12.

18. mib1800 Suspended

Just read the news :)

19. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

20. mib1800 Suspended

21. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

That article clearly states that the throttling feature can still be turned off:

"Luckily, as of iOS 11.3, this is optional, as users have the ability to turn off the battery-saving feature. Apple doesn’t recommend this, natch, but it’s nice to have choices".

22. mib1800 Suspended

Fact that apple backtracked from earlier that newer iPhones do not have this, but now it is there.

23. dawesie1 thread starter macrumors regular

No surprise there. I can’t believe that anyone with more than half a brain cell would believe that the increase in price for higher storage phones is not a massive profit generator.

24. NorthSeaBeach, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

You asked and I gave my opinion. Buy what you want. If you think an Android phone is a better investment, get one. It's your money, it’s your privacy. I don't care.

25. naturalguy macrumors regular

Lets hope not but I upgrade every year on a payment plan with T-Mobile so likely won't affect me if it does

So far it's much smoother and faster than any Samsung I've had