Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
People broke 4/5 style phones too, people break things, that is why there is insurance.
the 4 was fragile because it wasnt flush with the frame. The 5 was the most durable phone they made even though they still didnt have the glass completely flush under the frame.
they can do a flush glass frame now with the way tech is and have it be more durable.
Unless you are okay with spending 100's of dollars a year on insurance. It would be nice to have phones be more durable if they can make them that way...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Drops are never regulatory. It’s all based on angle, impact and surface type. There are so many variables and instances where a drop can affect a phone, someone may drop their phone from 6 feet and it could survive and someone else might have the opposite experience, its All based on how it landed and the other variables mentioned above.
Exactly, which makes those 'user tests' relatively useless. You'd need a large number of tests that are carried out exactly the same for different phones to draw any reliable conclusions. Just to show the opposite, this 'test' shows the Xs faring noticeably better than the X.

In principle given a large enough number of those casual 'tests' one should be able to draw conclusions as the randomness of the test conditions will average out if the number is large enough. But one would have to be careful to only include tests where at least two phone models undergo approximately the same fall conditions and then combine the averaged A/B comparisons over a larger set of models.

There is a reason crash tests for cars are carried out under a very clearly defined set of conditions for a limited number of scenarios.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
These tests are idiotic. DERRRRP A GLASS PHONE BROKE WHEN WE DROPPED IT.

I mean.. yeah, obviously.

But from their KeyNote it came over as it was going to be a durable device. Also whilst it’s not an option to have another material for the screen, it’s not essential to have a glass back, especially one that is ridiculously expensive to replace.

kcslc

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2018
Once again, glass breaks....who'd have thunk it!

On a side note, don't you need to do this test more than once to determine the result? If 5 identical phones all suffered the same consequences (no doubt they would being glass) doing exactly the same tests you have your evidence.
Yeah. CNET and other sites did drop tests and both phones did extremely well. SquareTrade is trying to sell you insurance, mind you.

Reactions: NetMage and Gueeds

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
But from their KeyNote it came over as it was going to be a durable device. Also whilst it’s not an option to have another material for the screen, it’s not essential to have a glass back, especially one that is ridiculously expensive to replace.
I dont think apple really wants to make a durable phone. they are making so much money on these. This design of phone just wont ever be durable. There needs to be a frame around all edges of the glass in order to make a phone actually durable. Im hoping for a design change in the next few years.
[doublepost=1537791372][/doublepost]
Yeah. CNET and other sites did drop tests and both phones did extremely well. SquareTrade is trying to sell you insurance, mind you.
so is apple, a wrong drop from knee high can shatter your phone trust me.

Reactions: RecentlyConverted

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
I think six feet is an odd height to use for testing a phone drop. Very few people hold their phones over their head before they drop them.

No, but most people are holding them at their ears. So an average height would probably be 5’10”ish. 6 feet is just as easier height to talk about.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I still see people not using a case to protect their iPhones so they should take note on these drop tests. I have dropped mine a few times and it does have a protective case, however, it was never dropped above 3-4 feet height.

I don’t use a case with my iPhones and have yet to drop them. Currently rocking a naked 8+.

I will take my chances.

Reactions: Skoal

baron von chilidog

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
That is the biggest concern for me. I buy an $1099 phone and I am expected to paid $549 when the back glasses broke? I mean the TCO ( Total cost of ownership ) has literally double or more from the iPhone 7 Plus era two years ago. You can buy an $199 Apple Care+ which pushes the phone to $1298, and for $256GB that is $1448.

I often wonder, at what sort of salary range are Apple targeting for iPhone Xs?

Well above mine.

I bought a refurbished instrument, use a protective case, and charge the old fashioned way. I am big on functionality when I need it, not (necessarily) on the latest and greatest.

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
It's the total ownership cost that bothers me. Sure, a phone will break if you drop it. When screen replacements were, say, 10% or 15% of the phone (£100 on my 6S) the repairs are not bad value. Now it's horrendous.

For comparison: www.ismash.com/
6 screen: £100
SE screen: £90
X screen: £300

Reactions: ijbond

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I don’t use a case with my iPhones and have yet to drop them. Currently rocking a naked 8+.

I will take my chances.
at least it isnt a 300$ repair like the x models for yours. over 500 if you break the back
[doublepost=1537792887][/doublepost]
That is the biggest concern for me. I buy an $1099 phone and I am expected to paid $549 when the back glasses broke? I mean the TCO ( Total cost of ownership ) has literally double or more from the iPhone 7 Plus era two years ago. You can buy an $199 Apple Care+ which pushes the phone to $1298, and for $256GB that is $1448.

I often wonder, at what sort of salary range are Apple targeting for iPhone Xs?
the majority of people on here seem to be happy to pay apple 200$ for apple care on top of their 1100$ phone.
so basically if someone buys AppleCare and breaks their screen they are already at the 250$ level for deductible.
AppleCare should be 99$ like it used to be. But people are happy spending money

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
the 4 was fragile because it wasnt flush with the frame. The 5 was the most durable phone they made even though they still didnt have the glass completely flush under the frame.
they can do a flush glass frame now with the way tech is and have it be more durable.
Unless you are okay with spending 100's of dollars a year on insurance. It would be nice to have phones be more durable if they can make them that way...

Just like other things I own of value I have insurance on them, car, house, etc...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My wife has an X, with a case on it. The fact is, if it bounces and hits something just right, no case is going to be able to protect the screen. That's why her screen has a crack in it, because it didn't survive a 4 foot fall out of a shopping cart while she was at Target.

I blame Apple though, I used to take my old Nokia and Samsung phones around naked, and they are nowhere near as brittle.

Reactions: x-evil-x

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I never did and never needed it so far...
I saved so much money by NOT buying AppleCare, that i can easily pay the full price if any device should ever need repairing. ;)

I had two X's replaced free (not for typical breakage, I had other random issues), so AppleCare+ is worth the extra cash.
[doublepost=1537793954][/doublepost]So with regards to breakage... they're glass phones. Get a case.

Now the water resistance, that's a different story.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This makes me happy. If it shatters that easily it means it must harder glass, and less likely to scratch. The last few generations have been very prone to scratches, and in eleven years I’ve never dropped an iPhone but I have lots of fine line scratches since around the six plus.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I think six feet is an odd height to use for testing a phone drop. Very few people hold their phones over their head before they drop them.

I’m 6’3”, holding a phone at ear height for a call is easily 6’. Are you a midget?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.