iPhone XS Max iPhone XS Max Regrets? Back to XS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theturtle, May 6, 2019.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Now that we're more than half year in with the XS Max and XS, for the people that bought the XS Max, any regrets going for the bigger size?
    Overall for me its been nice, two situations jump out that remind me how big the phone is though:

1. When I'm working out, the corner of the phone actually pokes out my pocket
    2. Using the phone in bed, can't reach side to side

That being said, I'm not sure I REGRET IT, as there are always pros and cons to a size but sometimes I do miss the smaller form factor. How about you guys?

2. F23 macrumors member

F23

you get used to the size and can't go back to anything smaller afterwards in my case. just have to mentally remind yourself every now & then that this is a 2 handed device

3. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Nope. No regrets at all. It's by far the best phone I've owned.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

No issues here. Coming from all plus devices, I would never go back to the smaller size.

5. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

No regrets. When I use my 5s it feels like a toy. But it's nice to have an option of a smaller phone.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 601

No regrets here as well. I was able to go from 8 Plus to X 5.8 inch last year. Since Apple release the 6.5 inch XS Max, I immediately went with a bigger size. I've also held the XS at the Apple store and seems rather small to me.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

No regrets on the XS Max. Every since Apple introduced the plus sized phones I had one so I’m already use to this size.

8. Fthree macrumors 6502a

No regrets here either, I have a 12.9 iPad Pro and that makes my Xs max feel super small

9. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

I don't know if I regret getting the larger one, but I'll probably get the smaller version the next time around. I've been using the Galaxy S10 and I love the smaller size. It just fits in the hand so much better than the Max.

10. sparksd macrumors 68020

No regrets. Best phone I've ever owned and it's a size I'll stick with in the future.

11. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, no regrets. Came from a X which I loved, but the Xs Max is the best phone Apple has ever made and the best overall smartphone out right now.

12. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I like my Max a lot, but when I’m using my GF’s 7, I miss how light the older generations were. They need to reduce the chunk and they’ll have a hunk!

13. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I haven't regretted getting a Plus sized phone since the 6 Plus. I got the X, and pined for a Plus sized version .. I didn't like dropping the screen size. When the XS Max came out, I jumped on it, got one launch day, and haven't looked back.

I love it and wouldn't drop the size for anything.

14. happdgirl macrumors newbie

I went back and forth myself for months after getting the max. I adored the smaller size but wanted to feel like I made and "upgrade" so went with the max. I do like the smaller form and ended up picking up an XS to use. My max is still great for watching videos at the end of the day but I did find it's size a lot to lug around during my day. I'm still getting as much function as the max. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who had second thoughts!

15. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

From time to time I do feel it’s too big but don’t think I’ll consider that as regret as such. I’ll probably not upgrade this year so not considering to go back to anything. It works fine mostly for me.

16. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

When the 6 plus came out I immediately upgraded from my 5s and haven’t looked back. The XS Max is a great phone and I don’t regret it one bit. You do need to use 2 hands occasionally, but after 4 years of using this approximate size it’s not a big deal.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’d say almost any iPhone or smart phone in general is a two-handed device, if you think about it, when you’re typing, you’re usually using two hands. The only time you’re really using one hand is just for simple navigation, but larger phones are so fatiguing one handed after so long, it really only makes sense to use two hands.

18. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I had the 6 Plus and 6S Plus and loved them both. I upgraded to the Max in the fall and the transition was easy as I always loved the big phones. However, something about the Max made it over the top in not a good way. I know physically it was the same size as my Plus phones but it just felt more heavy.

I ended up returning the Max and also a second one due to connectivity issues and went to an X. The X size works best for me. Still have the good sized screen real estate but easier in the hands. I think I’ll stick with this size going forward.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

20. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I had all of the plus size iPhones and when the X launched I upgraded to that. I stuck with the X for 18 months and missed the size of the plus sized iPhones. In March, I upgraded to the XS Max and also held onto my X as well. 2 months later and I have no regrets. I use a clear case so my phone still don’t feel heavy. I don’t like the rumors of how the 2019 iPhones may look, so I think I will hold onto my XS Max until 2020.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I jog with my Xs Max via this: https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Running...M5NNA&qid=1557235306&s=merchant-items&sr=1-10

I don't regret getting a larger phone. I've had the plus size since the 6+. The longer battery and bigger screen make it worth more to me.

In bed I put two pillows under my chest and use it with both hands.

22. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Few months ago I picked up a SE to play with, which was a prior favorite of mine and no way could I go back to a smaller screen after having the Max. Like others have said it feels like a toy. Not to mention the battery life of the Max is perfect for my particular usage. Maybe this years Xr version if it has a telephoto lens, but I don't think I'd be happy with the 5.8 inch version.

23. stringbeanie, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019

stringbeanie macrumors 6502

stringbeanie

Just about every day I regret getting the Max over my X. I signed up for the iphone every year plan starting with the Max and have been counting the days until the next gen phones are out so I can go back to the smaller form factor. I have my 12.9 iPad when I need a larger screen but the Max is too much phone to lug around and virtually impossible to use single handed.

24. caoimhe macrumors member

caoimhe

Last month I would have said no, but then I was home for a while using my local phone (iPhone X). Picking up the Max again it feels way too big for me. Thinking I’ll swap my sims around and stick with the X until I see what this year brings.

25. JSENNY25 macrumors member

JSENNY25

So yeah, my wife wanted the XS Max and I have always has an aversion to the + and Max sized phones so we ordered one of each.

We got them on release day and set them up at home.

With in 5 minutes my wife said a loud NOPE! And that’s how we switched phones for the next 5 months.

At first I loved the large beautiful screen. Battery life was great. Portability not so much but you gotta make a trade of somewhere right?

Well about a month ago I hurt my wrist (probably not iPhone related-but who knows) and had to get a shot. In both of them and the doctor suggested I maybe try a smaller phone for a bit.

So I fire up my trusty iPhone SE. love it. Always will.

That night I told my wife to just give the Max another go. She only uses a MacBook and her phone. She has an iPad but never uses it so I tried to tell her this would just make using the iPhone ‘more immersive’.

Got a thin case and threw a pop socket on the back. SHE LOVES IT! Literally loves the phone now.

Problem is my wrist is better and there is 0% chance I’m getting the max back‍♂️. Like got mad when I asked lol.

Oh well, the regular 5.8 XS is pretty great too, but about once a day I look over and see that big beautiful screen and just kind of miss it.