iPhone XS Max iPhone XS / XS Max making physical clicking/shutter noise when first opening camera app? [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orijinal, Sep 23, 2018.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Has anyone noticed with their new iPhone a subtle physical clicking noise (1-2) in succession when first opening up the camera app? Just noticed it now and can replicate it in most positions (facing down, up, straight ahead).
    I thought it was more apparent in low light but can replicate it in a bright room as well. The sound sounds like a very tiny physical shutter sound from the actual camera, not a software noise as my phone is silent. Happens right when opening the app, maybe related to the initial autofocus? Just wondering as I’ve never experienced this on past iPhones, including most recently the X prior.

2. Jades macrumors 6502

I experienced this on a Verizon replacement iPhone 7, and it was not normal. Took it to the Apple store and they replaced the camera.

3. Eallan macrumors 6502

Just listened to my Max, it seems to make a noise as well, very faint. Everything seems to be working fine.

4. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

Thanks, can anyone else confirm one way or the other? It takes a second just to open your camera app and listen.

5. seezar macrumors regular

Just tried it and could hear a very faint sound from the camera. Probably just the auto focus.

6. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

7. lordofthegins macrumors member

lordofthegins

8. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

Yep. Had to be in a quiet room to hear it, but it’s there.

9. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I did but when I open it up again 4 more times it did not make a sound.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yup, I have this as well. Noticed it right away, but only when I open the camera in a quiet area.

11. w_aldo macrumors regular

w_aldo

Mine too. Always happened with my 6s Plus and even my older OnePlus One. It's normal.

12. chabig macrumors 603

The cameras contain moving parts. It’s no surprise that they would make faint noises.

13. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour

I hear that on my XS as well sometimes when I use the zoom and it switches from the wide angle to the tele lens

14. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Yup, also hearing a small tick-like noise. Kinda worried, not sure how normal it is.

15. WilliamG macrumors G3

Mine to. Guessing it’s normal, and that the people who say they don’t have it just don’t hear it.

16. Unnamed1 macrumors member

I was actually looking for this exact issue to see if anyone else noticed this little tick sound too when opening the camera.

I can replicate it quite often by repeatedly closing the camera app and then changing the camera settings from 30fps to 60fps video or from 1080 to 4k and then switching back to the camera.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

In a quiet room with my MAX volume all the way up and my camera does not make a noise when opened up.

18. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

It's not related to volume, its a physical click from within the camera module. Totally possible you don't have the "issue" though.

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

Called a buddy of mine in the UK, and he has the same clicking sound on his XS Max. I've got $10 that says they all do it.

20. Unnamed1 macrumors member

Sorry to bump this thread, but just wanted to update anyone worried about this issue.

I went through every iPhone XS Max I could yesterday in the Apple Store (15+) and every single one of them, once I clicked into the camera had the clicking noise.

21. bskiba101 macrumors newbie

bskiba101

Okay, time to delete the post I just made about this seconds ago!

Glad to know that I am not alone and that this is normal (normal-ish)?

22. RocketFast macrumors member

RocketFast

I just wanna check if someone else has this. When you open the camera for the first time in like 10-20 seconds (or longer) it makes a click sound ( very quietly ).

Step 1. Place your ear against the camera
    Step 2. Open the camera

You have to wait between 10-20 seconds before you open the camera again. The sound will not appear if you close the camera and open directly afterwards.

Anyone have an idea what it is?

23. RocketFast macrumors member

RocketFast

Only for the back camera, not the front. The back camera has to open.