Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Someone please sticky this or something, I had to make this post outside of that Larger Yellow Screen thread because I dont think anyone is Actually discussing the solution.

Here is the solution, pretty easy, Just might take a little bit depending on how big your iphone Data (music and vids etc etc) is.

Ok So! you're getting the Yellow Hint? I was as well.

I compared them both side by side, and mine was in fact more yellow then the original. Go to your Settings and you will notice that your firmware will be (5A345)

Just plug in your iphone to Itunes, then Run the "RESTORE" and it will update to the newer firmware (5A347)

When i got back in, the yellow Hew, Hint or whatever you want to call it, was gone.

Hope this helps all.

Please dont make this a 20 page thread with other things in it. I just wanted to PASTE the solution in here.

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Nice find. Itunes is running an iphone software update like you said! I wonder if Apple heard about this and fixed it? I really dont care about the "yellow" (not even sure if I have it), but if it will make it go away or make the screen look better, why not give it a shot? I have nothing to lose. Plus its a phone update. Just an FYI for everyone, the update will take anywhere from 25-30 mintues.

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Running the update might fix other problems we don't know about anyway.

I already had 2.0 on my phone Obviously but it was (5A345) from the store.

Running the restore in Itunes Downloaded another 2.0 version, i noticed it Queing up in "Downloads" after that it updated my iphone and my Screen is not a Yellow Hint anymore.

=)

computermilk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Nice find. Itunes is running an iphone software update like you said! I wonder if Apple heard about this and fixed it? I really dont care about the "yellow" (not even sure if I have it), but if it will make it go away or make the screen look better, why not give it a shot? I have nothing to lose. Plus its a phone update. Just an FYI for everyone, the update will take anywhere from 25-30 mintues.

Yeah plus, i had everything backed up, so i restored my music and vids after wards which took some more time.. =) No biggy...

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
gunna give the update a try i tool some pics pre update ill take some more after the update.

ok...that was weird...i saw itunes downloading the update and it completed now i cant contact the update server -_-'

dustinl4m3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Great to hear this worked for you.

I can say that it absolutely did not work for me. I have two iPhone 3Gs to compare. One of them is yellow, the other isn't. Restoring both of them did nothing whatsoever.

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
Great to hear this worked for you.

I can say that it absolutely did not work for me. I have two iPhone 3Gs to compare. One of them is yellow, the other isn't. Restoring both of them did nothing whatsoever.

Did you happen to verify the OS version on both iPhone's?
:cool:

dustinl4m3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Did you happen to verify the OS version on both iPhone's?
:cool:

Indeed I did. Both 5A345 before, both 5A347 after.

This phone is going back anyways. It must have been made on a Friday. The vibrate switch doesn't even click in one direction and requires a ridiculous amount of force to actuate, in addition to the bonus scratches all around the chrome that came right out of the box. Thx apple!

Smog

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
not worked for me after 2 full restores. is an apple shop visit awaiting me?

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
hmmm thats weird.... the previous version seemed a little less yellow than the new version:

judge for yourself
5A345 version then followed by 5A347 version

dsc00386fl1.jpg

dsc00381rv6.jpg

dsc00387pm2.jpg
dsc00382dw7.jpg

dsc00388jq0.jpg
dsc00383fa3.jpg

dsc00389jj8.jpg
dsc00384na6.jpg

That said though i really can't tell the difference and it doesn't really bother me.

*edit* after seeing em posted up like this i guess the new build is a little less yellow...what do u all think? I cant really tell i tried my best to take the same exact picture both times

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
It didn't fix my problem BUT what it did do was update my OS so hopefully its more stable than before.

I will be returning my phone but only when the stock levels are high enough that I don't waste a 2 hour trip to Apple in London!

In the meantime I am very happy with the features on the phone!

iMacUser324

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
it doesnt bother me. I just updated for the heck of updating. lol :D

No, I mean the yellow tint. Apple more than likely did it purposely, its really not a big deal. But w/e Its not my choice if you guys return it or not, I am happy with my iPhone.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
No, I mean the yellow tint. Apple more than likely did it purposely, its really not a big deal. But w/e Its not my choice if you guys return it or not, I am happy with my iPhone.

nah the yellow tint/color temp doesntbother me i'm happy with my phone

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Does it really bother you guys that much?

It would definitely bother me, because every time you see a light screen, you'll notice the yellowish whites. I have the same problem with the two Sony TZs I own. I was going to take the second one for myself, but because the screen is so yellow, I decided to sell it instead. So easy to notice! :mad:

And like I posted elsewhere, I had two iPhones last year and I could tell one was more yellow than the other. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.