Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
It seems to me like the warmer tint (yellow) makes things look more realistic. A grey background looks gray, not blue. It is as it should be. I'm sure if this was reversed we would have the same number of people complaining about a blue tint.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
i think this made it a little bit better, but it still isn't 100 percent, but if apple was able to slightly fix it with firmware wouldn't they be able to fix it better?

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
It definitely worked for me. I went from 5A345 to 5A347

If people aren't finding that it helped, you should make sure to check the version number...and to be nice to others, maybe verify that you do have the new number (5A347).

And, I think it's a big deal. I lean towards blue to begin with, so I was rather bummed that my new iPhone was on the other side of white.

mike95

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Firmware update to 5A347

Firmware update to 5A347 increases the default brightness on the iPhones with the yellow screens decreasing the significance of the yellowish result. I have a friend who is in Orlando and has a 2G & 3G phone and he claimed the screens did not have a yellowish tint. He currently has firmware 5A345 on his 3G phone and will update tonight -- will send him the link to this post so he can provide his details.

Thanks Dwight!

mike95

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Sunlight - screen looked "griddy"

A second update, my 3G phone was ugly to look at in sunlight when compared to my 2G phone. Lines appeared horizontally and visible enough to make the icons & graphics look "griddy" -- the 2G didn't have this. This was on firmware 5A345...so I am not sure if 5A347 takes care of this too as now it's raining with overcast. Can anyone with 3G phone take their out to the sunlight and see if their screens look "griddy"?

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
My 3g has a slight yellow tint, but side by side with my 1st gen iphone both on full brightness the colors are much more brighter and vivid with the yellow tint. It makes the 1st gen iphone much duller. I must say that i prefer the slight yellow tint as it gives me a better screen.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
To me, the yellow tint sorta resembles an old Laptop whose backlight has worn a bit. I guess some people call this "warmer," but to me, the "cooler" tint is crisper and livelier to me, and I prefer the look on my old iPhone (running the later build).

It's not the end of the world to me, but I'd prefer the other tint.

Doing the restore now. Hopefully it will help!

EDIT: No change for me. Both devices running 5A347.

mike95

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Nicer colors

My 2 cents, I like the vibrant colors with the slightly warmer look. Initially it was too yellow, but with the firmware upgrade the default brightness was boosted up a bit hiding the yellowish. Switching phones a few times, I came to like the 3G with the vibrant colors. Next concern...how does the increased brightness now affect battery life on the already strained 3G!...

ibinco

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
It did the Trick for me aswell. Defenately an improvement and has gotten snappier 2. hooray!

mike95

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
followup on yellow screen

Confirmed -- the "griddy" screen in the sunlight was purely due to the low brightness (try it yourself; lower the brightness while in the sun and the entire screen looks "griddy") -- no longer the case with a brighter screen and I did multiple comparisons...and quite frankly, the vibrant colors are looking quite good after the update.

To conclude, when I have both phones on the same brightness setting, the 3G will now look a little brighter (so it's less yellow than before) and the extra brightness resolves the griddy scenario in the sun! The update also resolves all the wierd apps closing, and delayed responses I was having earlier.

Happy camper now.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Engadget is reporting that they spoke with Apple's senior director of product marketing for the iPhone and he said this was intentional with the idea of the phone "produce warmer, more natural tones, sharper images, and deeper blacks.".

Here is the link: iPhone 3G and firmware 2.0: the day after

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Engadget is reporting that they spoke with Apple's senior director of product marketing for the iPhone and he said this was intentional with the idea of the phone "produce warmer, more natural tones, sharper images, and deeper blacks.".

Here is the link: iPhone 3G and firmware 2.0: the day after

That's fancy talk for we screwed up, but aren't going to admit it.

2.0 is already jailbroken so what apple doesn't fix, I'll fix myself.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
The Apple representative doesn't know what he's talking about. The original iPhone is clearly too blue and BLUE is the warmer end of the color spectrum, not yellow. To describe the iPhone 3G's display as "warmer" compared to the original iPhone indicates a complete and utter lack of knowledge of the color temp spectrum.

That said... all you pixel peepers are nuts too! :)

Mark

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
The Apple representative doesn't know what he's talking about. The original iPhone is clearly too blue and BLUE is the warmer end of the color spectrum, not yellow. To describe the iPhone 3G's display as "warmer" compared to the original iPhone indicates a complete and utter lack of knowledge of the color temp spectrum.

That said... all you pixel peepers are nuts too! :)

Mark

what? blue is the warmer end of the sprectrum? are you color blind?

mike95

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Lets call this the old 2G color washout issue (which we never realized until new 3G phone arrives with better color hues and contrast)!

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
I purchased a white iphone and a black 16gb (wife and me), and the white had the same temperature setting as the original iphone, while the black one was 'warmer'. I'm a photographer and am quite fickle about my monitor calibration, and the black one is actually a bit closer to a correctly calibrated monitor. I checked out the demos at the store and lo-and behold the white models on display are consistently cool and vice-versa for black models, so I'm assuming the displays that the mfg used are each different runs.

I don't mind one or the other frankly, but I wish it was just consistent.

Someone please sticky this or something, I had to make this post outside of that Larger Yellow Screen thread because I dont think anyone is Actually discussing the solution.

Here is the solution, pretty easy, Just might take a little bit depending on how big your iphone Data (music and vids etc etc) is.

Ok So! you're getting the Yellow Hint? I was as well.

I compared them both side by side, and mine was in fact more yellow then the original. Go to your Settings and you will notice that your firmware will be (5A345)

Just plug in your iphone to Itunes, then Run the "RESTORE" and it will update to the newer firmware (5A347)

When i got back in, the yellow Hew, Hint or whatever you want to call it, was gone.

Hope this helps all.

Please dont make this a 20 page thread with other things in it. I just wanted to PASTE the solution in here.

Gloveman

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Tint

I did the update but did not really work to my liking. I went to the store several times to have it exchanged but was turned away repetitly. Should my next move be the Better Business Bureu?

sjw

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
I did the update but did not really work to my liking. I went to the store several times to have it exchanged but was turned away repetitly. Should my next move be the Better Business Bureu?

Are you for real? Gawd, I knew Apple fans were pedantic but this is too much! The iPhone screen is easily the best looking I have ever laid eyes upon and I think my new 3G screen looks amazing.

I can only imagine what the store employee must be thinking when some customer comes in demanding an exchange while waving a perfectly good iPhone in their face.. !

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
i think its preference, personally i think the 1st gen screen looks better, whether is because its not yellow and so im just perceiving it as clearer i dont know. but i would most certainly say the new screen doesn't seem sharper. and how can colours seem more vibrant if they all have a yellow tinge? but again its preference i guess. but having had a detailed look at both together over all i feel happy with what ive got.

also i read that the new screen is made differently (i could be wrong),would that make a difference?

edit....http://live.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPhone3G

not read it all but screen is made slightly different, not glued together so is a cheaper unit to replace, again i dont know if this would add a yellow tinge, or is it is a software thing (would that mean hidden code for 2.0 on 3g as 2g iphone on 2.0 hasn't gone yellow)?

Gloveman

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Yellow Tint

Hummm I read that the same screen from the first iphone is used on the new 3g phone. In comparison to my first iphone, the second one just sux. If there going to change the screen then make it consistant, not the first few different from the second batch.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Has this REALLY done anything to change people's calibration? I'm not really buying it. I think the screens are all just plain different.

Anyone who has access to play around with at least 2 phones, I'll bet can see how different they really are.

Our 2 phones are so different it's not even close. Totally different worlds.
I've no clue why Apple is having a repeat of launch where we had the 5 vs. 7's screens - but it does appear there's likely different manufacturers or calibrations for these screens.

But seriously, has the firmware fixed anything and are you SURE it did?

cambridge1807

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I just got my iphone and my screen doesn't have a yellowish tint. Weird thing is, I haven't done a firmware update and it says it have the updated 5A347 firmware right out of the box. Has anyone else have the update firmware right out of the box?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
will restoring to the newer firmware and putting my latest backup on the phone erase all my apps and there settings or progress?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.