iPhone2 in June cannot be possible otherwise we would now it was coming.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Mar 9, 2008.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

There is no way that the iPhone 2 (not firmware 2.0) will come in June. I say this for a number of reasons:

The first and probably most important - We would already have known about it.
    June is roughly 3 months away. If Apple wouldn't tell us by now, the FCC would have already. Apple would need to have already started filing paper work by now because it is a lengthy process. We would know what Apple has been submitting to the FCC because it is a PUBLIC process and no device can be "hidden" in it.

Also AT&T is not ready for the device, just look at their 3G coverage. Although they did announce that they were beefing up their 3G network, it would not even be close to ready for June. And the state that it is in now is pathetic and you would be using EDGE just about everywhere you would go except if you were in the heart of a City.

Thirdly, Apple will want to milk as many iPhone sales they can with the firmware 2.0 update. How many people out there are going to be coersed into buying an iPhone now that it has such common apps such as AIM and Spore? Not to mention all of the businesses that have fallen in love with the slew of new enterprise features.

I do realize that an emanate release of an iPhone 2 (with 3G and GPS) is on the horizon (Based on previous announcements of various CEOs). But this coming June? Get real. I would say good and reasonable guess for the release would be between September - November of 2008 in time for the holiday rush.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I've been saying sept all along, but I'm not so sure the FCC approval takes that long, and I'm also not sure at what point I'm the process it become public. BUT, what usually is a bigger pain in the ass then the FCC approval is the network approval (att)..

3. Doebldodl macrumors member

FCC approval would not be required for a launch in Asia or Europe, though. These are also places where 3G networks are widespread.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The iPhone would never come out in a non summer month...

Just a feeling.

June 2009.

5. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

6. Sardukar macrumors member

Not true - there are fast tracks, and hold backs with the FCC, as with ISO. Not to mention, Broadcom and the other major chip makers are available pre-approved by the FCC.

Europe has more 3G users than all the mobile users in the US put together; it is a good enough market, and AT&Ts is becoming good enough.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

We will see something in June with the 2.0 release.

8. Edwardz macrumors regular

It's going to happen. Just wait it out mannnnn.

9. cupofjoe macrumors regular

10. stevehp macrumors 6502

Even if it happens, I highly doubt there will be a design change

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

27/06/2008 is the date for 3G phone and new firmware. :)

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Sigh. There should be a rule:

Anyone who says we'll know about it from the FCC before it's approved, should be banned for doing absolutely zero research.

Or just banned for still being naive enough to believe anything Jobs says regarding reasons why something was done.

:D

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'd like to see earlier but I still think November 2008.

14. wolfie37 macrumors member

I hope they maintain the non-G3 model. G3 really is an overrated pile of tosh, barely works indoors, eats battery power and isn't much of a speed bump over EDGE (and useless compared to WiFi). I would hate to be forced to upgrade at sometime in the future to a G3-only model.

15. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Do you/have you ever have/had a 3g Phone? I would assume not. If there were to be a 3g phone in the future it would be compatible with EDGE also. My phone goes from 3G to E depending on if I'm in a 3G area. I rarely see it in E though.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well if you have some useful information please post it.
    I have seen that FCC approval is required but the actual amount of time is unclear to me.

If you have a link to the actual time schedule, by all means post it.

17. pfish macrumors member

I live where AT&T 3G covers the entire metro area. I had a 3G phone prior to switching to the iPhone, and it was a huge difference going back to EDGE. I used my 3G phone to tether on my laptop, which provided much faster speeds than EDGE. I never had any problems inside, outside, around the corner, or otherwise.

Current iPhone + 3G == win for me.

18. igglepuff macrumors regular

yep, also the hwole not mising a call because you're using data is .. well... a good thing:p i've missed tons of calls liek others here due ot being on edge

19. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

There wont be an iphone update soon, Why would apple update the iphone now? They would just piss off people that got one. I think there only will be an update people that got an iphone from day one contracts start to run out with AT&T.

20. pfish macrumors member

Aww man, you're making me remember those days. Nothing better than using it on your laptop and getting a phone call at the same time. It's coming, all we can do is wait.

21. Padraig macrumors 6502a

For all we know the FCC may be testing the iPhone 2 right now; however, we'll only know after it's approved.

The current phone took just under two months.

22. icantbelieveit macrumors member

I think there needs to be an upgrade before the end of the current contracts. Because, when the iphone was released, there was plenty of talk about it being tied to AT&T for 18months, but nothing really said about what happens after that. I can see them bringing out this new model in June, a year after the first and allowing people to stop their current contract and restart an 18month one if they buy a new iphone. Therefore lots of people are restarting 18months before their first contract runs out!

23. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

You're right. If iPods have shown us anything, it's that Apple doesn't like to evolve them on a regular basis. :rolleyes: (That was sarcasm, by the way).

Apple prefers to cannibalize its own products rather than milk every last penny out of something.

There will be an update long before the first AT&T contracts run out. And Apple/AT&T will offer a way for current subscribers to "upgrade" to 3G.

Think different, man. This isn't Sony we're talking about.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Sorry for jumping on him, but the basics have been discussed here and in other iPhone forums many, MANY times... and specifically detailed by myself and others who have submitted items to the FCC.

Jobs exaggerated when he said that he had to disclose the phone details that January. Everyone knew an iPhone was coming (even the name), so no surprise there. He just wanted to give everyone time to build desire and get out of their current phone contracts.

Apple submitted their test results to the FCC in mid March and got approved seven weeks later in early May. Then they gave ATT a hundred or so handsets to test in secret.

No one knew about the submittal until it was approved. And even then Apple requested that all photos and manuals be kept secret until sales launch.

25. caliguy macrumors regular

caliguy

You're automatically allowed to renew a 2 year contract anyway. They wouldn't be doing us any favours by letting us start another few years over again.