iphone4 indicator light

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xenopower2, Jul 6, 2010.

1. xenopower2 macrumors member

why did the geniuses at apple not include an indicator light on the iphone4. you know, like a little light that conveniently blinks when you have a new email, missed call, etc? just about every other smart phone has one.

2. celticpride678

Because that would be copying Blackberry too much.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

It's a minimalism/design thing that's been the case since the first iPhone. What they're going for is that the device disappears except for the screen. Buttons and indicators need to be as sparse as possible according to this philosophy.

4. chembox macrumors 6502a

They need to either a) add a notification LED or b) fix their crappy notifications system.

Right now, unlocking my phone and browsing to the Mail app just to see if I have any unread mail is not minimalistic.

5. xenopower2 thread starter macrumors member

i see. it's kinda retarded that they left out a tiny indicator light, yet still opted to put all that "designed by apple in california, assembling in china...model....fcc..." crap on the back though. an indicator light would be very useful

6. xenopower2 thread starter macrumors member

agree 100%

7. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Push Mail every 15 minutes and enable the sound...? The phone vibrates and makes a sound. More than a dumb light will do in your pocket.

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Maybe because people would find it annoying. I know I would!

I do agree that their notification system needs to be upgraded though - not 'fixed', because it's not broken. It's meant to work the way it does, it just wasn't designed for everything it now has to do!

9. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think the current notification system is deservedly one of the most criticized aspects of iOS. I'm for option B.

10. triniiphone macrumors member

yeah they should make a design where the apple sign on the back of the phone lights up. thatll be dope

11. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Would not buy the phone if it had an indicator light. Super dumb idea.

12. chembox macrumors 6502a

Except I usually keep my phone on silent and only get vibrations. I check my phone 10 minutes later and I don't see anything on the unlock screen, so I'm thinking, did I get a mail message or am I hallucinating on that vibration?

The light could actually be very useful, green for new texts, blue for new mail, red for missed calls/voicemail... Hopefully the color would be washed out and not as bright as a Blackberry's LED.

13. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

No.

14. xenopower2 thread starter macrumors member

Not the best idea, fanboy. do you realize that sometimes you want your phone to be silent, but still be able to glance at it to see if there might be any notifications?

15. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

I highly doubt that! ;)

16. xenopower2 thread starter macrumors member

sweet idea, would be super dope to have that

17. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Then there you go, you want the feature because you're blocking out another feature Apple put instead which IMO works better than a LED indicator. But I understand where you're coming from. I keep my phone on vibrate when I'm in school, I feel it.

18. xenopower2 thread starter macrumors member

I bet you super would if apple made it

19. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

You can put it on silent, it'll vibrate. ;)

20. xenopower2 thread starter macrumors member

***** awesome ideas my friend!

21. psherman42walla macrumors member

That's been done, check it out on youtube.

As for an indicator light, I am sure when the iphone4 gets jailbroken, someone will hack the flash in the back to flash when there's a email...missed calls... text...

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That's required by law......

23. chembox macrumors 6502a

True, however if Apple wants the iPhone to succeed in the business world, they have to drastically improve their notifications system (with either software or hardware updates).

24. xenopower2 thread starter macrumors member

FAIL.

vibrating = not silent

25. badpinoy macrumors regular

i for one don't read all my email. only the important emails that i'm expecting. an indicator light would blink all the time and get annoying. i guess someone could use the flash on the back as indicator light.