iPhone4 Unlock and Sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ExcelPremium, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ExcelPremium macrumors member

I'm planning on buying an unlocked iPhone4 through a friend, his iPhone4 was originally locked to Bell but has it unlocked(not sure about firmware but it's unlocked)

I'm currently using an iPhone4 that's locked to Rogers w/ 4.2.1 and have sync'd it with my computer numerous times.

Question is, if I buy his phone, could I connect it to my computer and sync it(pictures, video, contacts etc from my original iPhone4 that's locked to Rogers) and still be able to keep it unlocked or will it automatically update and have it locked back to Bell?

Thanks.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It depends on whether it's factory/carrier unlocked or software unlocked.
    Factory/carrier unlock is dependent on the imei number. All unlocked phone are on apple's whitelist.
    Software unlock is a different situation. You'll have to be careful with how you update/erase the phone. If you erase via the phone or itunes, there won't be an unlock anymore.

Find out first and let us know.

3. ExcelPremium thread starter macrumors member

Definitely software unlock and not done through carrier or Apple. It wasn't factory unlocked since it was locked to Bell than now hes using it on Rogers.

4. ExcelPremium thread starter macrumors member

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Syncing wouldn't remove the software JB and unlock. Only when you restore or update the firmware does that happen. Thus, if itune say there is a firmware update for the phone, just check "Don't tell me in the future..." and click on cancel.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Was it officially unlocked or was it unlocked through Jailbreaking/hacking? Ask him.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Whether it is software unlocked (Ultrasn0w), Turbo SIM unlocked (Gevey), or factory unlocked/carrier unlocked, syncing (restoring from backup) will not get rid of your unlock. However, with the software unlock, exercise caution when updating/restoring because you'll want to preserve the baseband. If you're using Gevey, do not update to iOS 5 when it releases either because apparently it is not compatible.

8. ExcelPremium thread starter macrumors member

JB and hacking.