Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Anyone update to iOS 4.1 on their iPhone 4? I have and it still retains the 1.59.00 baseband. This seems odd to me since Apple usually updates the baseband during the OS updates.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Then you downloaded the wrong file or did not install the update properly. After installing 4.1 GM, my baseband version is 02.10.04.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Ahhh, I figured out why my baseband didn't get updated. My host file was edited to point to Saurik's server. Almost 3/4 through the restore process the phone would then show the plug into itunes image and itunes would give error 1004. I googled it and found that RecBoot can kick the phone out of recovery mode since the OS has already been sucessfully updated to the device. My phone on iOS 4.1 and baseband 1.59.00 worked fine.

So, I edited my host file to remove the address to Saurik's server and no longer got an error during the restore process and now my basebank is 2.14.02.

So, this could potentially mean that people who want to keep the baseband at 1.59.00 can point their host file to saurik's server and update to iOS 4.1 right now. Good for those who need unlocking in the future.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ahhh, I figured out why my baseband didn't get updated. My host file was edited to point to Saurik's server. Almost 3/4 through the restore process the phone would then show the plug into itunes image and itunes would give error 1004. I googled it and found that RecBoot can kick the phone out of recovery mode since the OS has already been sucessfully updated to the device. My phone on iOS 4.1 and baseband 1.59.00 worked fine.

So, I edited my host file to remove the address to Saurik's server and no longer got an error during the restore process and now my basebank is 2.14.02.

So, this could potentially mean that people who want to keep the baseband at 1.59.00 can point their host file to saurik's server and update to iOS 4.1 right now. Good for those who need unlocking in the future.

That wouldn't have anything to do with updating or maintaining the baseband.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
That wouldn't have anything to do with updating or maintaining the baseband.

he got an error before it got to update the baseband but the phone was updated to 4.1 he used something to get out of recovery mode. so he has old bb. and he got the error cause he was on Saurik's server so it didnt have the 4.1 shsh.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
he got an error before it got to update the baseband but the phone was updated to 4.1 he used something to get out of recovery mode. so he has old bb. and he got the error cause he was on Saurik's server so it didnt have the 4.1 shsh.

Interesting.
So why did it error out before it updated the baseband?
And does that method would work like a pwnage type of update to maintain an unlockable baseband? Very weird...

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Interesting.
So why did it error out before it updated the baseband?
And does that method would work like a pwnage type of update to maintain an unlockable baseband? Very weird...

cause Saurik's server doesnt have 4.1 shsh blobs yet so im guessing that may have caused it. maybe something else. and i think pwnage tool just removes the new baseband from the ipsw and just puts in an older one.

torakaru

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Canada
Hi Folks,

Anyone with an old iPhone 3G has tested the new iOS 4.1GM to see if the lag and slowness problems have gone? :confused:

Thanks!!! ;)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
cause Saurik's server doesnt have 4.1 shsh blobs yet so im guessing that may have caused it. maybe something else. and i think pwnage tool just removes the new baseband from the ipsw and just puts in an older one.

Very weird, Im waiting to hear official word from the Dev Team on this.
It didnt do it before with other GM or beta IPSW's.
And is that done only on the iphone 4 or also on the 3G and 3GS?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Very weird, Im waiting to hear official word from the Dev Team on this.
It didnt do it before with other GM or beta IPSW's.
And is that done only on the iphone 4 or also on the 3G and 3GS?

well for all devices the last thing it does is activate/update the baseband when updating/restoring. and again im not sure what may have caused ops error. he said it was the shsh so i guess that could be possible.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
From my experimentation with firmware umbrella, sauriks server does not seem to store the blobs for the baseband on iphone 4, so this would cause the rror described i'm sure.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Has anyone noticed improved reception with the new baseband? I've been getting more bars in some places. I can't figure out if it is ATT upping the power, or if the phone is interacting with the network better.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Hi guys...sorry about the confusion...my new is 2.10.04 previously I stated 2.10.02.

Yes I am on an iPhone4 and I tried updating my phone many times with the host file pointed to Saurik's server with the same error 1004 with baseband 1.59.00. After modifying the host file it updated to 2.10.04 successfully. I am posting this so that those who do need unlock on ios4 can do this workaround once a jailbreak comes out for os4.1. If the dev team releases pwnage tool then it will ultimately result in the same thing.

xxjozmanzol79xx

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
error 1004 fix

if you guys remove the Cydia server from iTunes hosts on notepad, iTunes will do the complete update and you will have the new baseband and u will not get error 1004

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.