Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Yeah man! Good times lol.

As for everyone that is talking about Rogers' upgrade policy...I work for Rogers and it's no secret for their upgrade to the iPhone 4S. It's the same as any other upgrade. If you are not at your upgrade point, which is 30 months, then you have an early upgrade fee, which is based on the phone you currently have ($10/month for feature phones, $15/month for smartphones, $20/month for premium smartphones (iPhone 4 and BB Torch)). Simple as that really. Overall price you would pay is $159/$269/$369 for the phone itself after a $50 mail in rebate, plus any applicable early upgrade fee, plus the $35 admin fee.

First I like to say unless you are about to upgrade people are not paying attention to upgrade costs so it maybe no secret to you who work there but to those that have been able to upgrade every iPhone since launch expect the launch of the 4s to be the same.

Yes it is 159/$269/$369 to upgrade the device but it's not so simple when you add the $20 month upgrade fee plus the $35 fee plus taxes. So even us that got our 4 phones on launch day are paying $200 (if we are 14 months into a 24 month agreement we signed at the time of buying the 4) if we are held to the 30 month it would be $320 plus the simple device upgrade price of 159/$269/$369 and if anyone bought after the 4 release it just keeps adding up.

So a "minimum" of almost $400 to upgrade when we are used to paying 159/$269/$369 period plus small fee. And most will be paying way more plus adding a 3 year contract on top of it all. Ive seen some say as much as $800 and that was for the 4s 16g not the 64g! No one at Rogers has said anything about a $50 mail-in rebate nor have the many unhappy customers on the several forums I visit.

Sakic10

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
this is what my confirmation email says:

Your order is not complete until we reach you

Please ensure you are available to take our call within the next 5 days. We'll do our best to reach you, but if you're not available to receive our call by Oct. 11, your order will be cancelled and a refund will be processed to your credit card.

iPhone 4S pre-orders will be couriered starting October 13, 2011. We'll send you another email containing your tracking number when your order is shipped.

Headlighted

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
I ordered as soon as the Apple Store came back up around 1:45ish MST, as of today my iPhone is still showing as processing with a ship date of October 14th.

Hopefully it's an over-estimate and it will be here by the 14th.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
First I like to say unless you are about to upgrade people are not paying attention to upgrade costs so it maybe no secret to you who work there but to those that have been able to upgrade every iPhone since launch expect the launch of the 4s to be the same.

Yes it is 159/$269/$369 to upgrade the device but it's not so simple when you add the $20 month upgrade fee plus the $35 fee plus taxes. So even us that got our 4 phones on launch day are paying $200 (if we are 14 months into a 24 month agreement we signed at the time of buying the 4) if we are held to the 30 month it would be $320 plus the simple device upgrade price of 159/$269/$369 and if anyone bought after the 4 release it just keeps adding up.

So a "minimum" of almost $400 to upgrade when we are used to paying 159/$269/$369 period plus small fee. And most will be paying way more plus adding a 3 year contract on top of it all. Ive seen some say as much as $800 and that was for the 4s 16g not the 64g! No one at Rogers has said anything about a $50 mail-in rebate nor have the many unhappy customers on the several forums I visit.

On the topic of the rebate, us at my store hate when customer service don't mention the mail in rebate. At store level, we have no choice but to go with it. All previous iPhones, even the 4 at launch didn't have to worry about the mail in rebate, this just started a few months ago, to be more in line with all the other phones.

And for upgrades in general, in the past people got their upgrades moved up, but carriers aren't required to do that for every iPhone, so people shouldn't really be expecting it like it's something that the company owes them. And this goes for any provider not just Rogers. I can see them moving it up a couple months or something if you ask but if you're only a year and a bit in, it's not something you're entitled just yet.

sabesh

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
I'm very curious about the original post - all the Canadian orders I've seen say ships by October 14th. We don't have a delivery date. Yet the American orders all say delivered by October 14th. Very odd. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have to wait until the 17th or something for delivery. If that's the case it would have been better to go wait in line.

Looks like that's the case for all direct orders from apple.ca. I've opened a thread here to track:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1244176/

Please post you info there and let's track from there. Thx.

megahertz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
How much should I be expecting to pay per month in the following case?

New Customer for Rogers
iPhone 4S 16 GB Black
LOW Minutes
<= 500 TXT Msgs/month
5GB+ Data

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
How much should I be expecting to pay per month in the following case?

New Customer for Rogers
iPhone 4S 16 GB Black
LOW Minutes

At store level the minimum is $50 per month. We have no ability to give discounts at store level more than what national promotions offer, so those would have to be done over the phone. But until the end of the month the first month's bill is waived. Not the activation fee though.

mstern8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
At store level the minimum is $50 per month. We have no ability to give discounts at store level more than what national promotions offer, so those would have to be done over the phone. But until the end of the month the first month's bill is waived. Not the activation fee though.

I'm switching from a blackberry BACK to an iphone (iphone was too distracting in my undergrad :p ).
Do you think the 30$ 6gb plan is coming back ?! :D

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I just hope the Canadian orders are going to be delivered by the end of next week. The US orders all say "Delivers by October 14," so I'm hoping we get the same treatment.

This.

I ordered mine right when were able to pre-order from apple.ca, Still processing and SHIPS by Oct. 14th.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
My order is still processing too. I managed to be one of the first to get through on Apple's website; maybe about 30-40 minutes after what was supposed to be the initial preorder time.

Says it will be shipped on/by Oct. 14th. Hopefully it will get here then instead of just being shipped on that date.

mstern8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
My order is still processing too. I managed to be one of the first to get through on Apple's website; maybe about 30-40 minutes after what was supposed to be the initial preorder time.

Says it will be shipped on/by Oct. 14th. Hopefully it will get here then instead of just being shipped on that date.

Mine says Delivers 25 Oct - 1 Nov via Standard Shipping.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm switching from a blackberry BACK to an iphone (iphone was too distracting in my undergrad :p ).
Do you think the 30$ 6gb plan is coming back ?! :D

I don't think so...that data plan expired on the 30th of September. I do hope it does come back though, since a lot of iPhone customers love that plan. I know I do :)

canadianipad

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
So this is interesting and thought I'd share -
I was just on a Canadian forum - and some people in Canada who preordered their iPhone 4S through a specific carrier (Not Rogers) have received tracking info.
It says their phones will be delivered on the 14th.
So I can't see Apple not delivering the iPhone 4S on launch day to those who preordered through Apple - but allow the carriers to deliver it on launch day.
So that gives me hope we'll all get ours on the 14th now.

jim.bright17

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Alberta
I'm sure the girl messed up last year when i bought by iphone 4 cause it had only been about a year since i started my contract on my 3gs and she gave me the phone for 260! (32 GB) i didnt expect that but was pretty happy, this year they told me it would be 500 or so, thats why i ordered through apple :)

Last edited:

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I wonde how many people that got the 4 are actually going to upgrade through carriers... I'd rather pay the extra $75 or whatever and get a factory unlocked phone. Greater resale value next year, too.

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
i have sold my iPhone 4 32GB Factory Unlocked and like past years, camp outside and buy the 32GB iPhone 4S Factory unlocked, throw the sim card in and walk. with the new OS, i should be in and out of that store in minutes since they don't have to activate it through itunes anymore, and my retentions plan with Rogers can keep on going :) Screw the HUP system!!

150 Daytime Minutes
UL Ev/WK 6pm
UL incoming
UL network calling (rogers/fido)
6GB Data Plan + Tether + BIS Add On
UL Text/MMS
UL USA/Int Text
1000 CDN Long Distance
$55 + GST/month :)

EAT THAT!!!!! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.