iPhone5s Defective Battery - Genius Bar Rejection Twice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by E2EK1EL, May 3, 2014.

1. E2EK1EL, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014

E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

A close friend of mine got her IP5s in November, she has all the symptoms of the faulty battery problems that was reported in October. She went to a Apple Retail location in Dec, they ran their diagnostics and said it was fine. They gave her the scripted suggestion to help "solve the problem", that didn't work at all.

Fast forward to this month, I've decided to take a look at it and do our reg troubleshooting.

The Reg Troubleshooting
    1) Download a fresh IPSW of iOS 7.1.1
    2) Enter restore mode
    3) Fresh restore and a new user w/ no backups synced
    4) I let the phone sit while I watched the batt percentage drop like mad and was super hot.

(Another test 6 hours standby drained my IP5 with only 1% and her IP5s was close to 85%)

Today I took her to a totally different Apple Store and nothing changed. The 1st rep was a "follow up rep", he ran the diagnostic test and said everything is ok. Later the genius ran diagnostic test twice and said it was ok too and finally the manager came just echoed same thing as the two previous reps had said. Totally ignoring what she was explanation with her battery problems, I had to jump in explaining what I did and showed them this screenshot. Even then, based on that diagnostic test results they wouldn't service the battery. Once again they gave her the same old suggestions to make the situation worse.

Suggest: Turn off location services, back ground app refresh, push notifications, LTE and blah blah blah.

We all know that only helps a little bit from time to time, but she did all their suggestions back in Dec and nothing changed with the battery behaviors, plus it wasn't enjoyable to use at all like that. She was so upset and just left, I was pretty mad hearing all that scripted replies they gave her.

Anyone else experience this battery problem on the IP5s and this type of customer service lately? For the last 2 years, I've noticed things have changed dramatically with Apple's customer service and they don't seem as nice as they were before.

PS:
    I had another friend had his battery died completely last year, still within his original IP5 warranty period and he went to another Apple Retail Store, they rejected his servicing too. They said he was up to 500 charge cycles and the warranty does not cover it.

Apple Says Manufacturing Defect is Responsible for Battery Issues in Some iPhone 5s Devices

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/29...r-battery-issues-in-a-some-iphone-5s-devices/

Attached Files:

2. E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

At this point, I don't even know if calling AppleCare is gonna even help at all.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Can't do no harm! Cal them...use your own script to get what you want. Obviously there is an issue with the battery.
    Tell them:
    1. You are very disappointed with the product and the service you have been given.
    2. This would deter you from buying more Apple products or recommending them to anyone else based on this experience.
    3. Send AppleCare the screenshot.
    4. Insist you have done everything the Genius and manager told you to do (several times) but it does not solve the issue.
    5. Repeat your disappointment in Apple as a company and the service you are receiving. (Apple Inc care deeply about losing customers- an individual Genius doesn't)
    6. Be calm and yet direct with a non aggressive tone to your voice.

Good luck!

4. E2EK1EL, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed at this point there's really no other option left, she'll need to contact AppleCare and see what can be done.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

:eek:2 hour battery life and apple doesn't see that ain't right???

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Unless this can be "demonstrated" to Apple, at the store OR they can find a fault in diagnostics, they will not replace the phone.

They got to have rules.:rolleyes:

7. E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

She actually offered to hang out in the store and show them the rapid percentage drops.

"Sorry we can't and don't have the time for that"

8. reznick macrumors member

Happened to my cousin. His battery would drain from 100 to 0 in less than an hour. I'm a developer so I know how to optimize battery life, and his was defective.

Apple made him pay $80 to replace battery. I was disappoint.

9. E2EK1EL, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014

How many visits to the Apple Store did your cousin go through until he gave up?

There's only a few functions you'll need to optimize batt life for the all the iPhones.

1) Background App Refresh Off

2) Location services turned off for all 3rd party app, especially social media apps - It's best not to broadcast your locations all the time

3) Apple Maps Frequent Locations - "don't allow"

4) Increase Contrast ON -That frosted glass look is way too girlie, eats up a lot of CPU/GPU and battery resources. I also notice temps do get a little warmer then normal and it improves the performances for all devices.

5) Auto apps update and downloads (optional)

10. reznick macrumors member

2 visits and a phone call

1-5) I mentioned I'm a developer and I know how to optimize battery life. It had nothing to do with the software, the battery was defective.

11. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Typical developer comment they think they know it all

12. Radiating macrumors 65816

1 hour battery life while just sitting there is defective . This is not an opinion.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You got that right. We have ALL have seen a lot of cr^p software!

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Install iBackupBot and read what your actual battery capacity is.

Here's mine:

Battery

CycleCount: 262
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1315
    BatteryCurrentCapacity: 100
    BatteryIsCharging: true
    ExternalChargeCapable: true
    ExternalConnected: true
    FullyCharged: false
    GasGaugeCapability: true

1 year old iPhone 5 on Verizon.

15. reznick macrumors member

Know it all?

There are only a handful of meaningful settings you can flip to optimize battery life. If thats all it takes to "know it all," then wow, life is not very interesting.

Do you know of a secret button on the phone that turns a one hour defective battery into a healthy battery? No? Okay then, enjoy a nice warm mug of ****

----------

It's okay. Clearly he's been through some traumatizing experiences with developers. Let him heal.

16. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

With that attitude you don't deserve 5 mins battery time. "Girlie" Wow!

17. E2EK1EL, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

What a nightmare of an ordeal I went through today.

1 - Went to AASP location, they couldn't do anything at all and have more limitations with policy exemptions. The AASP location said to "call AppleCare, if they yes and we will swap it out for you".

2 - Called AppleCare, the advisor gets the green flag from the senior advisor for replacement swap. Gives me a case number, finds out the AASP location has a different system from Apple's internal system and can't see the internal notes or case numbers. Both the AASP and AppleCare reps are talking on the phone and nothing can be done.

3 - I head to the nearest Apple Store, no genius apt available and the store squeezes me in after I told them I have a AppleCare Case number.

Here comes the nightmare ...

A) Genius checks my case number, nothing states about the swap and the date of the case number wasn't date stamped correctly. Called AppleCare, 40 min hold and the first advisor can't do anything, states Apple retail & AppleCare handles replacements differently.

B) The Genius and advisor talks on the phone and then I got transferred to the senior advisor after another 40 mins, she states the same thing and I told her I've done a swap in store after getting a case number from AppleCare in the past. The genius said if AppleCare says yes, we can do it and now he jumps on the phone again. The call ends, he says was "All I wanted was a YES, we could had saved 40 mins" and the swap goes through.

The FRS rep was super cool, I thanked him nonstop and then went to his manager to inform what BS I went through, the FRS went beyond the call of duty for me. Got both of their business cards and will be reporting this mess, frustration and the level of customer service this Apple Retail store gave me to TC.

As cheesy as it is, you gotta give recognition to those who go beyond the call of duty for you to the highest level possible. Also gotta point out the mess of a system each retail locations, reps and internal systems has.

Here's a video of the defective IP5s, when it dies from a 6 hour standby during the night on Wifi / DnD modes. Charged through the comp in the morning and it just doesn't want to boot up.

18. E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

After 2 weeks and a bit, here is the battery readings on the replacement IP5s.

Battery is now worked in nicely, and fully up & running properly.

Apple is now "investigating" my case, whatever that means on their end. Assuming it will most likely be "call the customer and tell them about it's being investigated, soon after delete the complaint log" call to action plan.

Anyhow, it seems like I'm not the only one who is a victim of this new diagnostic tool giving out bogus readings, even if it's the main speakers for the vol or the IP5 power button failure.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1718841

Attached Files:

19. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Glad it worked out. Apple seems to be very accurate when diagnosing, but only for out of warranty products. :rolleyes:

20. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Well I'm lucky that my battery issue on my OOW iPhone 5 was physical. Genius looked at phone, confirmed battery bulging caused screen to lift. Replaced without running any diagnostics.

21. E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

Totally forgot to mention, my friend was so upset she went out and bought a Galaxy S5 within the hour after her 2nd visit to the Apple Store.

After the replacement swap ordeal I went through, she sold me the IP5s at dirt cheap pricing and now I am the new owner.

Attached Files:

• LS5.JPG
      LS5.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  22. E2EK1EL thread starter macrumors 6502

That's for sure.

I had another friend back in Nov 2013 with a OOW IP5 A129 model with a defective battery, they replaced her batt without running any diagnostic test.

23. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Why insult him? Saying you're a developer to AppleCare or the Genius Bar gets you miles, as they know you're not just some run of the mill dolt that will buy their BS.

Nowhere in his post is he acting like he knows it all. He's just stating that he's a developer, and because of that background he understands how battery life on the device works. That's not being a know-it-all, and you had no reason to be rude to him like that.

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

That's like how my phone is right now... except I'm out of warranty. According to diagnostics, everything is fine. Battery its at 85% health and 520+ cycles. Nothing wrong on paper except it just doesn't last anymore.

25. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Worse case scenario you can buy new battery, fortunately for you it's one of the few parts that are extraordinarily easy (and cheap) to fix yourself.