Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first iPhoneDevCamp takes place this weekend in San Francisco, CA. The 3 day event invites interested individuals to come develop web-based applications and optimize web sites for the iPhone.

It's a non-commercial event with free attendance.
Attendees will be able to:

• Create new web applications for iPhone.
• Optimize existing web applications for iPhone.
• Migrate Dashboard Widgets to web-based widgets for iPhone.
• Test and optimize web sites for iPhone.

Article Link

myiphone

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Poland
I can't be there, there are no chance for me to get from Poland to USA :(
For everyone who will be there: do your best! :)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I have a website written entirely in manual html and optimized for modem speeds that would make a good iPhone website. It would need to be updated to at least have some sort of buttons and a stylesheet to become compliant, but it is a fairly simple matter of putting a new front end on a bunch of existing content. Free labor invited to "practice" on iPhone website making. It would be kinda cool to have 2-3 different main page implementations to try different things.

Rocketman

Outsiderdude26

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
New England
I'm not going to be able to attend but I will keep a close eye on this. I really want to see what these developer come up with and see how we, iPhone users, influence the way people are going to start coding their websites.

PubGuy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
I want REAL apps that don't need internet access

This is all cute, but I want real apps that work without the internet.
Examples would be:
- A To Do program
- A password keeper program (like to keep my PWD's local, thank you very much!)
- A world clock
- An expense tracker
You know...things that are handy to have but do not require network access to work. A lot of good Web 2.0 programs will do me if I travel to areas without AT&T coverage, thus no signal. Full native development is essential.

Also, what's up with Apple not including a ToDo sync to iCal and leaving out voice dialing ??? Nobody's ever explained that.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Reccomendations for iPhone development texts

Howdy,
There's no way I can go to CA for the weekend, sad...

I have been developing an app for iPhone (http://www.BibleXpress.net) and I've never done web development before, just Cocoa development. I have found some texts that are great:

All from O'Reilly, they're the books with animals on the covers.
Learning Javascript (only just a few typos) (Shelley Powers)
CSS, The Definitive Guide (Eric Meyer)
Programming PHP (Rasmus Leydorf, et al...)

In just three days, I've learned how to write CSS page layout, javascripts to configure dynamic pages, and php server-side components all linked together with AJAX (XMLHTTPRequest object). You can take a look at the public-accessible version of my site without logging in. The feature set will grow quickly over the next months when my roommate who does professional web development moves in :)

I'm still looking for a good HTML book, (my local Barnes & noble doesn't have O'Reilly's good book on it or MySQL). Don't fall for the O'Reilly books that say "Head First..." they're no good.

I think what newbies need to know is this:
HTML is what the browser will display, but CSS is a way to not only predefine styles for the HTML, but also predefine positioning, etc... CSS is just an easy way to make really great looking pages without complicated tables and formatting.

Javascript runs in the browser and allows you to dynamically change the contents of the page and also respond to user actions, like clicking on stuff. Javascript can be turned on and off in the browser.

.php runs on the server, and you can get the .php software from free websites that can run inside the Mac's built-in Apache webserver. Don't listen to the stuff about configuring from the command line if you're new, search for the "self-installing binary."

If you've never done a wesite before, you'll need a hosting service, and to buy a domain if you're not hosting from your own stuff. I'm using http://www.godaddy.com. Make sure your host supports .php if you need to use it. goDaddy only supports .php on their Linux servers.

I also highly recommend Adobe Creative Suite for creating amazing graphics and then saving them in ultra-compact format for the web.

myiphone

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Poland
If you are looking for good HTML book, you should try Bulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm (http://www.simplebits.com). I had it in polish and I know that it's really good book. If you want to learn PHP you should for first read manual at php.net and just code a lot, there isn't any really good book about PHP. And JavaScript ofcourse, if you managed to learn basics of them, then try prototype, script.aculo.us and mootools libraries. They are the best libraries out there, they have really good documentation and also they are released as MIT. You should learn by reading code of them, also good javascript code to read is lightbox (based on prototype and scriptaculous). After that you should know enought to write good AJAX (not web 2.0 becouse web 2.0 mean social sites for me) applications. Ah, there is also ajaxian.com, very good source of informations about AJAX.
Hope that this comment can help anyone of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.