iPhone's Bluetooth is Locked? You're kidding me...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdylan, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

Sorry if this issue has been posted in the forums already; I did a search and didn't see it come up, although I can't see how.

Anyway, is Apple sh*tting me? I tried to connect my new iPhone 3G to my friends iPhone 3G and they don't connect! I tried to connect it to my GF's Ericson phone, and although one might "see" the other, they don't connect! Am I crazy, or is this the way Apple made it? If so, why would Apple "restrict" Bluetooth to the iPhone headset? What would ANY rational reason be? I sure can't think of one! (I also tried linking my MacBook Pro to my iPhone via BT, and that doesn't work either, although at least I see the logic behind that, ie. iTunes handles that).

So now I have a phone that: doesn't let me send an MMS, doesn't allow me to use my own ringtones, doesn't record video, and now (basically) doesn't have Bluetooth (or only allows me to use Bluetooth with an earpiece)?

I mean, is that even legal? Can they "lock" BT to a certain limited functionality? I hate to say it, but more and more I am regretting this purchase. I had a phone 5 years ago that did all the above. Now, in this day and age, I can't send an image to my GF's phone with either BT or MMS? I have a large collection of great, custom ringtones I used on my other phones over the years, and now they are worthless?

I hate to sound like a whiner, but WTF?

2. dietwater5 macrumors newbie

stop

no you are whining, go back to your other AWESOME phone

3. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

Get iToner from Ambrosia software to get your custom ringtones.

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I don't know the solution(if there is one) to your problem, but I do know that you can have your own ringtones on the iPhone. I use my own.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Or simply convert them yourself in iTunes.

They did it because of the fervor when there was a Bluetooth transmitted virus for a couple of phones. Also, they don't allow you to share music, so what other real use is Bluetooth in that respect.

The don't yet have AD2P (to listen to music) because of fears of battery life.

MMS is available via an app posted today. To most people MMS is stupid/expensive, when an Email will suffice.

TEG

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I use my own ringtones. And the one thing I have not been able to do with my BT was send pics to my MacBook and other phones - solution - email, but I have been able to sync with a BT headset and also my car. I'm happy...

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

There are many ways to get custom free ringtones, so do some more searching.

It didn't have MMS when you researched it and bought it, so you probably aren't surprised by that.

Regarding the legality of the BlueTooth implementation, you're correct. It is illegal what they're doing, so make sure you contact the Santa Clara County DA's office to file charges against Steve Jobs. Thanks for catching that.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

OK, I'll be the first to ask...did you do even ONE ounce of research before you bought an iPhone? Did you read even one story, forum post, review..anything?!?! Every single thing you griped about has been known and whined about incessantly since the very first release over a year ago. There must be literally 1000 posts each about MMS, bluetooth, and video recording. God, some people astound me.

PS - it doesn't have copy & paste either. Not sure if you knew that.

9. jdylan thread starter macrumors regular

jdylan

It's a cellphone, dude. Why would I expect it to NOT do things other cells phones could do 5 years ago? Why would I research and check to see if the "latest and greatest" gadget, the "revolutionary" new must-have cellphone would have basic things like MMS, bluetooth, ringtones, etc?

That would be like going car-shopping and seeing if the car comes with a radio, gas-cap and windshield wipers. That's like shopping for toasters and checking to see if it has heat-control. Sorry if I didn't check that the "God Phone" didn't do MMS and that BT was restricted. But you know what? I did look at the basic list of things, and I don't recall seeing anywhere: Warning, this phone does NOT...etc, etc.

Now I know what it's like to go into a Star Wars forum and say you weren't happy with the last three movies; you are attacked by rabid nerd-boys who can't see someone not equally as rabid with their obsession.

Oh, and to everybody who uses the "email" excuse as a cure all... not everybody has constant wifi at all times. I only have wifi when I happen to be at a mall or coffee-shop in Kuwait. Not exactly the greatest solution for a guy who doesn't live in downtown San Francisco. And finally, NO, I haven't followed every mundane tidbit of trivia concerning the iPhone over the last 18 months since it first came out. I was aware of it, but was happy with what I had at the time. Excuse me for having a life and worrying about other things. I'll try to live in a basement and focus on more important things next time, like "copy & paste". Thanks.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

First off, CTFD. Secondly, we don't expect you to know the type of processor on the iPhone or technical specifications, but even reading one review that discusses basic advantages/disadvantages would have informed you of what the iPhone could or couldn't do. Don't get mad, you are the uninformed customer.

11. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Sure, it doesn't do some of what you consider basic functionality, but there are some (many?) who don't find those things as important as you do. Does your old cell phone have a browsing experience as provided by Safari? Does it hold 8 or 16GB of music, videos, and apps? I didn't think so.

I can see why you assumed it would have it, but you also should have confirmed it before committing.

12. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

They never said the Iphone would do those things, just because something else does them has no bearing on it. It was never something they said it would do, so you can't expect it to do them.

Your other arguments aren't valid either. You can look at the specs for those items and see what is included. It all comes down to knowing what you are buying.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

Actually, I doubt you'll find a rabid nerd-boy here that doesn't want more bluetooth functionality in their iPhone.

But what you've done is about the equivalent of just now (Sept 2008) watching Phantom Menace for the first time and going on a tirade in a Star Wars forum about how lame Jar Jar Binx is. Think they haven't heard enough of that subject?

It's not that people disagree all that much with you, it's just that you're late to beat this already very dead horse. The iPhone bluetooth (and other) limitations have been discussed ad nauseum since it the iPhone was originally launched.

And like others have mentioned, virtually every review of the iPhone since its launch has called it out for bluetooth functionality, no MMS, no cut 'n paste, no video recorder, etc. So for you to fly in the forums just now totally surprised about this is a little weird.

IMO, it's the tone of your post .. not your actual complaints .. that some people are responding to.

14. tomzak macrumors newbie

I find this forum to be sometimes unforgiving...

15. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I think people just get tired of all the bitching... After over a year, you would think people could find some good resources to get informed, bitching about things on a forum gets no sympathy...

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

note to mod,

please change title to "yet another person cant research what they throw their money into. youre kidding me...."

you really couldnt do a google search? if there so crucial to you youd think that ud make sure such features are there.

17. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

well.... go to an Apple store and ask a genius if they can unlock the limitations on yours iphone bluetooth by paying some amont or buying a hundred ringtones from itunes store.

18. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Where? I did a search on the app store to no avail.

19. mrowl macrumors regular

when you buy a car, do you check to see if it has headlights?

wah, wah, wah.

20. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Wait, you are saying that every single cell phone sold 5 years ago had a built-in video recorder, the full bluetooth stack, and could do MMS? Wow, I want to live in whatever future society you live in! Newsflash, while MMS is common nowadays, it is by no means guaranteed (my last phone released in 2007 didn't do it either), and it's very common for cell phones to not support all bluetooth protocols, and it's almost rare for a cell phone to support video. These features are luxuries, you can't compare them to government-mandated safety items like windshield wipers. I'm not saying I agree with them not being built-in, MMS in particular should be supported, but you are making such a huge deal over such a minor thing.

You aren't making any sense. What does wifi have to do with email? One of the key points of the iPhone is you can access the internet *away* from Wifi if you need to.

21. pavvento macrumors 6502

It's also a $199-$299 phone with a big-ass contract attached to it, so yea I don't think research is such a bad thing when dropping over $1,000 on a product. If $1,000 isn't a big enough investment to warrant research, than buying another phone and using the iPhone as a paperweight won't hurt your pockets either.

I spend all day teaching middle school kids and I think 90% of them have more common sense than the majority of some of these 'internet people.'

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

speaks the truth

seriously how can you bitch about a KNOWN issue

23. joebokeh macrumors member

24. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

it's simple, pick a song in your itunes library, change the song length under the songs "options" to make the length no longer than 30 seconds (from start to stop).... then right click it and convert to AAC. Then, right click and locate the file in windows, then drag that peice of garbage to your "ringtones" folder in itunes. Sync, and done.

25. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

um, you don't need WIFI to send email from your iPhone. it's an iPhone. MMS is not included for the same reason Apple dropped floppy drives before the rest of the pack- they see it as a soon-to-be-obsolete technology and email is a better solution. it's kind of annoying, but you just have to deal with it.

it's called Flutter.