IPhones for the young...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apheonixboy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. apheonixboy macrumors member

apheonixboy

Anybody here age 18 or 19? - or - Anybody here have a son or daughter (age 18 or 19) with an iPhone... ?under thier name? As Thier own contract?

Because.... Im just 18 and I qualified for up to 5 lines, $0 deposit with a 2 year contract....

Is this a trick just to get more customers or did my credit go up so fast?:eek:

2. JWages macrumors regular

I'm 19 and I'm waiting for my iPhone. I have no clue how this is going to work out since this will be my first time on my own contract. I currently have Verizon and I'm under my dads name because he gets a discount.

3. apheonixboy thread starter macrumors member

apheonixboy

woah... maybe AT&T wants more customers... and more money... doesnt matter how old you are...

4. backfromtejas macrumors newbie

I am 19 and got my first cell-phone contract when I just turned 18. You don't need to have any credit. It's pretty easy to get a cell-phone contract, you just can't have terrible credit.

Your credit didn't shoot up or anything, it's just, you don't really need any credit for a cell-phone contract.

5. apheonixboy thread starter macrumors member

apheonixboy

hmmm...

oh... i didnt know that.... but then again, why did my cousin go and ended up paying a 300 dollar deposit? :confused:
    and he only qualified for 1 line.... and hes work the same places ive worked..... but has less time working here

6. JWages macrumors regular

When did he get charged the deposit? When he set up the contract? Because I dont have a contract with AT&T yet. I'm still waiting on the iPhone.

7. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

AT&T is not Verizon, and they don't actually appear on your credit. Verizon on the other hand, appears as a installment loan on your credit report (last I check).

However, you will soon to find out that it is VERY easy as a young adult to get anything credit. It's a trap to screw young kids while they're still young, kind of like cigarettes.

Watch this movie if you would like to learn more about irresponsible credit: Maxed Out.

8. 645ci macrumors member

im 17, but got the iphone under a business contract.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

im 14 i got an iPhone...:D under family plan though...but i dont care cuz i dont even pay for it..GO BROTHERS!!! (hes 22 he got my mom my dad and me UNDER him)

10. ottergal macrumors member

Verizon appears on your credit report? Because other cell companies don't... unless you don't pay them and you go to collections. :)

11. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I have seen membership to athletic clubs going on people's credit report as installment loan. It is more effective than collection, because collection would take months to appear on your credit report, whereas a installment loan would only take 60 days.

12. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Looking at case reviews on YouTube, i saw very young kids with iPhones. One kid was comparing the old iPhone with the 3G iPhone. He clearly owned both. He looked about 11 years old. I can't believe kids this young have these. So expensive for the parents. Much be very wealthy. With the cost of EVERYTHING going up in price and no salary increases, i don't know how families get by. This may not be the thread to mention this in!!!:rolleyes:

13. ottergal macrumors member

Wow.. I wish that my gym and tMobile had done that, it would sure have been nice to get the credit benefit. I know that back when I worked in credit for a cellular company, it wasn't standard industry practice. Although it was strange... we were essentially approving people for an unsecured loan but didn't report it that way. It was a double standard in some ways.

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Installment loans don't really build your credit though, it's those unsecured and revolving accounts that do. But it doesn't hurt to have a few stable credit lines.

15. hairydawg75 macrumors newbie

hairydawg75

In the 4 years I had Verizon they never showed up on my credit report. Could be different now though as that was a couple years back.

16. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It was either Verizon or Sprint and that was about 2-3 years ago. Since I never worked for Verizon or Sprint, I am not sure why they would report those under installment, perhaps it was under special circumstances.

17. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I'm not that young, i'm 21, but I do have my phone under my name.

Credit is very easy to manage if your smart about it, the problem lies in the decisions of those with credit.

My buddy got approved for a 20,000$ car loan, that doesn't mean he can afford it. He took the car and defaulted on payments, his car got repo'd, his credit shot.

It's not a scam in any way by the companies, it's your job to be responsible with the credit you do use, if your not, good luck with terrible credit.

18. oban14 macrumors 6502a

When I first got my cell phone, I believe I had to give them a 200 dollar deposit for a year even with fine credit. Things have changed since then... I got a credit card with a 700 dollar limit in college, and that was the best I could do. Now they'll give kids 10-20 grand and not even think about it.

19. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Watch the movie I linked above. Part of being young is thinking that you have the experience and knowledge to make good decisions. But the unfortunate truth is, "we" really don't. These companies want you to think that you are responsible for your own doing, but most young people simply never had the experience and the right teaching to do so. Hard working middle age people can't qualify for a $2000 credit card, but an 18 years old college student can easily qualify for 10k? What's the logic in that?

America is the land of the debt, and they get you while you're young...

20. chinl macrumors member

If you just turned 18 your credit ought to be fairly neutral and have nothing on it. You haven't screwed it up yet, but you haven't done anything to prove you are responsible either.

Also, you cannot legally sign a contract until you are 18 so you couldn't have gotten a plan earlier. If you had a credit card or certain types of bank accounts you had to have a parent/guardian co-sign -- it is in your name, but if you default they go after that person.

Unless you have absolutely terrible credit it should be easy to get a cell phone plan.

21. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I'm 19 and have my own phone under my name and whatnot... Actually got it shortly after I turned 18 (broke off from my family plan).

I've just had my own credit card for awhile as well and have always paid my bills on time so I guess that's why there ain't no real reason I got denied, plus the fact that I was already a customer greatly helped I'm sure, haha.

22. apheonixboy thread starter macrumors member

apheonixboy

Well, I turned 18 a few months ago, and I have my Own Checkings account, I work for the School District in my City, and Ive borrowed money from 3 loan companies and paid them all in full in the same month. Maybe thats why i got such a good deal from AT&T? :confused:

23. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

24. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Checking account doesn't matter, and depending on what kind of loan companies you borrowed from would determine whether or not you actually established any credit history.

AT&T probably just doesn't care if you don't have any credit history, as long as you don't have BAD credit history.

25. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I'm 16 and have a new iphone as well. It is under my mom's name though. I did buy it myself and pay half of my bill also, but I don't even think it's possible for the contract to be under my name........