Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Come on guys, the iPhone's screen is pretty bad, maybe not terrible, but pretty bad. I don't care about the scientific analysis, all I care is what I see.

Not to mention the horrible resolution of the iPhone's screen.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Come on guys, the iPhone's screen is pretty bad, maybe not terrible, but pretty bad. I don't care about the scientific analysis, all I care is what I see.

Not to mention the horrible resolution of the iPhone's screen.

Just two years ago the iPhone's screen was one of the best (if not the best) smartphone screen around. Did it go bad all of a sudden?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
If you read this thread it must have. Lets not forget when did the droid and nexus come out? Oh yeah less then 6 months maybe 7? When did the iPhone come out?

Well, to be fair we have to compare those phones with the 3GS, which came out in June. But my point is that the fact that there are phones with better screens doesn't make the iPhone screen bad.

I agree. Just because it isn't the "best" doesn't mean that it blows. I love the iPhone screen. It's better than that OLED nonsense.

Exactly. The iPhone's screen didn't drop in quality when phones with better screens were released, it's just as good as it was when it first came out. It's just not the best.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Actually, no. When the iPhone came out it had one of the best screens around and all the reviews raved about it. The fact that there are better screens around now doesn't mean the iPhone's display is crap, it just means it's not the best.

While it was at the time when it came out 2 years ago but the times have moved on since then and now the iPhone screen is pretty poor compared to everyone else.

As for the article and the test there have been multiple updates to it that pointed out some flaws in the test. It appears to be a software issues with native android apps. Several of the other browsers for android are able to render the pictures correctly and lack those problems. It turns out that the iPhone screen is worse than the Nexus one screen because it is a software issue not a hardware one.

Well, to be fair we have to compare those phones with the 3GS, which came out in June. But my point is that the fact that there are phones with better screens doesn't make the iPhone screen bad.

Even limiting to phones that came out in June the iPhone 3GS was already falling behind the curve. RIM had already passed it in pixel density. The 8900 (which came out in May of last year) has the same resolution as the iPhone but on a smaller screen. The iPhone 3GS was released well behind the curve in pixel density.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Even limiting to phones that came out in June the iPhone 3GS was already falling behind the curve. RIM had already passed it in pixel density. The 8900 (which came out in May of last year) has the same resolution as the iPhone but on a smaller screen. The iPhone 3GS was released well behind the curve in pixel density.

That's what I meant. The poster I quoted was saying it wasn't a fair comparison because the iPhone came out two years ago. My point that the comparison should be against the 3GS and that it came out in June.

But the thing is, the fact that there phones with better screens doesn't make the iPhone's screen go bad. I like how photos look on my iPhone, I enjoy watching videos on it. The fact that there are better screens now doesn't make me stop enjoying how the iPhone's screen looks.

Are there better screens? Absolutely. Does that make the iPhone's screen a crappy screen? Not at all. It's still a great screen and my friends who don't have smartphones constantly comment how good videos and photos look on the iPhone. The fact that there are better screens now doesn't change that.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

In a way, it does.

Would you say that Sega megadrive games good graphics? No? But back in the day, most people did. When things are replaced by bigger and better things, the old technology becomes "bad"

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
You can't tell in a store.

What I do know is that iPhone's LCD sucks by comparison to most competitors. Perhaps the color representation of the Nexus One may be further away from "real colors" than the iPhone, it simply doesn't matter. I have never seen a real life Android or iPhone UI. They only exist on phones, and that's what you're looking at for 99% of the time. Contrast and black levels are what matters.

when i view videos and photos on my device, i want the color representation to be as accurate as possible. black levels are important, but the ability to display a proper colour gradient is more important.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
In a way, it does.

Would you say that Sega megadrive games good graphics? No? But back in the day, most people did. When things are replaced by bigger and better things, the old technology becomes "bad"

But here's the thing: you either were happy with the iPhone's screen when you bought it or you weren't. If you weren't, maybe you should have gotten another phone. If you were happy with it it doesn't make sense to now complain that other phone's screens are better, the iPhone's screen didn't go bad all of a sudden and it's still as good as when you bought it.

The iPhone's screen is still better than a lot of other phones, it's just not the best. That doesn't make it crap.

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
iPhone screen was great when it was announced, but it isn't any more compared to others. Of course the screen hasn't changed at all, but like always in tech everything that's two years old is a bit meh already. Just like Nexus' AMOLED screen doesn't look as good as it did after Samsung released Wave with it's own super AMOLED screen with much better sunlight visibility compared to traditional AMOLED screen.

Here's an outdoor comparison pic between Samsung Wave and Google Nexus:
live6.jpg

Which one you like better?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
iPhone screen was great when it was announced, but it isn't any more compared to others. Of course the screen hasn't changed at all, but like always in tech everything that's two years old is a bit meh already. Just like Nexus' AMOLED screen doesn't look as good as it did after Samsung released Wave with it's own super AMOLED screen with much better sunlight visibility compared to traditional AMOLED screen.

I agree. I understand that the screen isn't the best compared to other more recent phones but it is still a good screen and I think people are making a big deal out of nothing.

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I agree. I understand that the screen isn't the best compared to other more recent phones but it is still a good screen and I think people are making a big deal out of nothing.

I think the big problem would if Apple doesn't upgrade the screen in 4gen update. At the time when 3Gs was launched, the screen was a bit lacking (non-oled and low-rez), but the competitors products weren't so mature yet that it didn't matter much. If 4 gen iPhone has still the craptastic 480x320 screen resolution compared others WVGA rez and plain TFT screen compared to Samsung super AMOLED, then it will imo show in sales. Atleast I wouldn't use my money on such a lackluster HW. The difference is just so huge that even an average consumer can spot that there's something "wrong" in the iPhone's screen. Well let's hope Apple will update it. :)

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
well I've just looked at the pictures on my 'one year older than the iphone' N95 and the screen shows zero banding and looks as good if not better than the ipod touch/ iphone

Meatball

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
The Nexus, Droid's screens are superior in resolution and color display. Where they fall short is sunlight viewing, but I would say that's a minor sacrifice for a beautiful display. As I imagine the new iPhone will trend towards a higher res, AMOLED / OLED screen, it will suffer this same defect but still look beautiful in most occasions.

Couldn't have said it better :). The resolution of the Droid and N1 is much better for web browsing than the iPhone, which has a pretty low resolution in comparison.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
I have both the iPhone 3GS and the Nexus and the Nexus screen wins hands down. Its like HD compared to the iPhone. The iPhone is still my favorite but there is no doubt that the Nexus screen is far far far better. Seeing is the proof.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Quick Question. Adding more pixels, meaning increasing the res on the display, won't make the color better will it? I mean, Increasing the res, means the little squares/pixels will be even smaller, but the crappy screen quality could remain right? I think my iPhone 3GS display looks washed out compared to my brothers sidekick lx 2009. He has a higher res screen on his sk, but those added pixels on the screen could still be a bit washed out.

In short, if you add more pixels (higher res screen), the screen can still be washed out, and/or have a yellow tinge?

Thanks. To me, the pixels are fine, but the display is not as vibrant. It seems washed out.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
But here's the thing: you either were happy with the iPhone's screen when you bought it or you weren't. If you weren't, maybe you should have gotten another phone. If you were happy with it it doesn't make sense to now complain that other phone's screens are better, the iPhone's screen didn't go bad all of a sudden and it's still as good as when you bought it.

The iPhone's screen is still better than a lot of other phones, it's just not the best. That doesn't make it crap.

Right... but once you've seen something better, you might realise how bad the iPhone screen really is (not saying it is myself - personally I see nothing wrong with it)

I thought my TV was fine until I saw HDTVs.. now my TV looks horrible, grainy and yellow. Sometimes you just need to see something better to realise how bad your current device really is.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
its the resolution

Most people who go Wowzers about the Driod and Nexus one screens are seeing the increase resolution and DPI.

Of course thats going to make your screen look better and crispier.

Lets wait till apple increases its resolution before starting this debate. Apples to Oranges.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Most people who go Wowzers about the Driod and Nexus one screens are seeing the increase resolution and DPI.

Of course thats going to make your screen look better and crispier.

Lets wait till apple increases its resolution before starting this debate. Apples to Oranges.

Apple was behind the curve when the 3GS was released. They are falling behind more with every passing day.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Just two years ago the iPhone's screen was one of the best (if not the best) smartphone screen around. Did it go bad all of a sudden?

It was stunning when it was released, but the iPhone's screen has fallen behind the competition. Compared to a Nexus, HD2, milestone etc. it becomes obvious that its time for an upgrade. I'd wager a resolution increase is a given in the 4G and I wouldn't be surprised to see an OLED panel also - along with a miraculous conversion by all the doubters of the technology.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Quick Question. Adding more pixels, meaning increasing the res on the display, won't make the color better will it? I mean, Increasing the res, means the little squares/pixels will be even smaller, but the crappy screen quality could remain right? I think my iPhone 3GS display looks washed out compared to my brothers sidekick lx 2009. He has a higher res screen on his sk, but those added pixels on the screen could still be a bit washed out.

In short, if you add more pixels (higher res screen), the screen can still be washed out, and/or have a yellow tinge?

Thanks. To me, the pixels are fine, but the display is not as vibrant. It seems washed out.

HTC's HD2 is limited to 65k due to Winmo 6.5 and still destroys the iPhone when the two are put next to each other.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
All of this discussion horribly confounds brightness with screen resolution, color saturation and sharpness. Bottom line: most of us have set the iPhone to medium brightness to save battery and of course this makes the screen appear to lose vividness. So... if you don't like your iPhone's screen your first step should be to adjust the brightness (and perhaps buy a battery pack).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
All of this discussion horribly confounds brightness with screen resolution, color saturation and sharpness. Bottom line: most of us have set the iPhone to medium brightness to save battery and of course this makes the screen appear to lose vividness. So... if you don't like your iPhone's screen your first step should be to adjust the brightness (and perhaps buy a battery pack).

No I do not use max brightness because it hurts my eyes. Rarely is 100% brightness the best for colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.