Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I must admit.. The iPhone screen is not as good as the droid nor nexus one. But as mentioned earlier. All these phones came out AFTER the 3gs! Before the 3gs the only phone that had a better screen than the iPhone is the htc touch HD..
Although the iPhone does not have the best screen in the market anymore. It still has one of the best screens in the market

kdarling

macrumors P6
I agree. I understand that the screen isn't the best compared to other more recent phones but it is still a good screen and I think people are making a big deal out of nothing.

Have you compared screens? The difference is night and day when you go from a WVGA device back to the HVGA iPhone screen.

When the iPhone came out, most people in the USA had never seen anything with higher resolution. So sure, compared to the prevalent 320x240 screens of most other phones here, the iPhone's 480x320 seemed great.

But compared to a 800x480 screen, the iPhone comes up visually lacking by a surprising amount. As someone else said, it's like comparing a newer HDTV to an older TV screen. And as I said, it almost hurts to see the fuzziness of the text and all the visible pixels on the iPhone now. It's that different.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I must admit.. The iPhone screen is not as good as the droid nor nexus one. But as mentioned earlier. All these phones came out AFTER the 3gs! Before the 3gs the only phone that had a better screen than the iPhone is the htc touch HD..
Although the iPhone does not have the best screen in the market anymore. It still has one of the best screens in the market

Wrong. Blackberries had better screen than the iPhone before the 3GS.

The 8900 and the storm both had better as the 3gs but the screen is smaller so so it is a higher resolution screen.

The iPhone was behind the curve at 3GS.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
You're joking. Almost every single phone had a better screen than the iPhone before the 3GS came out.
Wrong. Blackberries had better screen than the iPhone before the 3GS.

The 8900 and the storm both had better as the 3gs but the screen is smaller so so it is a higher resolution screen.

The iPhone was behind the curve at 3GS.
Exactly. The iPhone's display has never been one if its strong suits. It's not awful, it's just never been top of the line. Never has been. Especially the 3GS display is way behind the competition. Behind the curve is a good way to put it.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I call BS on what your saying.. so when the iphone was originally introduced which phones had better screens? you said "tons" of phones.. please name thses phones..

and when the 3G was announced who had a better screen.. all these phones you are mentioning are phones that came out AFTER the 3GS

wow, do you really need a "professional test" to make you feel good about your purchase? Do you feel down and depressed if someone says they have a "better" phone? if YOU believe its better, than its better, all you're doing is wasting bandwidth. Do you live life needing to be validated on every decision, every purchase you make?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
its easy to make a screen look good at a smaller size.. i give u the storm as saying it has a better screen prior to the lunch of the iphone. But the 8900 i will not give u...

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
its easy to make a screen look good at a smaller size.. i give u the storm as saying it has a better screen prior to the lunch of the iphone. But the 8900 i will not give u...

Why..

The 8900 screen is the exact same resolution as the iPhone screen but of smaller size. Given that information put the pixels per inch are much higher than the iPhone. The quality of a screen is based on pixels per inch. Not resolution.

Those are example of how the iPhone was and is falling farther behind the curve ever week on screen quality.

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
wow everyone really hates the iphones screen.. as the general said when i watch my movies and tv shows i want my colors to be as REAL as possible and not exaggerated. and another thing the screen does not make the phone.. iphone still beats all thoes other phones hands down... so while you nexus one users can say you have a better screen.. i can say i have a better phone .. yours truly apple fanboy

Ab10la

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
wow everyone really hates the iphones screen.. as the general said when i watch my movies and tv shows i want my colors to be as REAL as possible and not exaggerated. and another thing the screen does not make the phone.. iphone still beats all thoes other phones hands down... so while you nexus one users can say you have a better screen.. i can say i have a better phone .. yours truly apple fanboy

To each his own. I have the 3gs and nexus one right now and the N1 is a superior phone. It makes my iPhone seem like very old technology. I can do so much more with the N1. I am ebaying my 3gs ASAP. And dude why are you taking personal. Enjoy your iPhone.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

I want a Nexus One. I haven't used the App Store in months. The iPhone has a terrible screen, I'm lucky I got one with a good screen, but they're so hard to come by. I've never seen another iPhone screen like mine and I've seen soooooo many iPhones.

kdarling

macrumors P6
wow everyone really hates the iphones screen..

I don't hate it. It's just doesn't have as high a resolution as some other phones.

For example, the HTC Touch Diamond series had 640x480 before the 3GS came out. The Toshiba TG01 and Xperia had 800x480 back in 2008.

There have been many others around the world. Here's a list of VGA or higher phones and other devices over the years. (I believe the first VGA phone came out in 2006.)

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
i can say i have a better phone

Well if you want to split hairs, the iPhone is actually a fairly mediocre as a phone. However, it is a great media player, Internet browser, and the App store makes it a device with new uses everyday. The phone aspect has never been that great, but that's a lot due to AT&T, not sure how it fairs in other countries.

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
I have a jailbroken 3GS so to me the things i can do with it are far better than other phones can compete with .. but yeah its whatever

SongtotheKing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
You can't tell in a store.

What I do know is that iPhone's LCD sucks by comparison to most competitors. Perhaps the color representation of the Nexus One may be further away from "real colors" than the iPhone, it simply doesn't matter. I have never seen a real life Android or iPhone UI. They only exist on phones, and that's what you're looking at for 99% of the time. Contrast and black levels are what matters.

put simply... No.

When u go to buy an HDTV you a presented, usually, with Plasma, LCD, and now LED. All of them are great quality. The test lies in what you are looking for. A lot of people would rather have a more natural looking screen (Plasma or LCD) and an extremely vivid one. The LED display is unnatural and can be very irritating. U cant turn it down. If you ever go to Best Buy and order an LED, they will recommend that you have it configured to ur room, and even then it can be very uncomfortable.

Im not a professional. Half the time i cant even spell right. But i do know that the iPhone will has a more universally accepted display. (Besides, even if the Android was more universally accepted, the iphone still has WAAAAAYY more apps, making it the more useful device.... i would take that over a screen any day)

Once again. All from what i know. :)

SongtotheKing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
wow, do you really need a "professional test" to make you feel good about your purchase? Do you feel down and depressed if someone says they have a "better" phone? if YOU believe its better, than its better, all you're doing is wasting bandwidth. Do you live life needing to be validated on every decision, every purchase you make?

wow. how unmistakably, inaccurately, and inappropriately rude are you?

Do you live life needing to tear other people down to make yourself feel better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.