Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's share of the worldwide smartphone market grew slightly in the first three months of 2018, despite Samsung launching the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ in March, according to research firms IDC and Strategy Analytics.

iphone-x-vs-galaxy-s9.jpg

Apple on Tuesday reported that it sold 52.2 million iPhones last quarter. Based on that, the research firms estimate that the iPhone accounted for around 15.5 percent of smartphone shipments during the quarter, a slight increase from 14.7 percent in the year-ago period.

While the single-percentage-point growth is modest, the slight gain becomes more impressive when considering that the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ launched March 16 in several countries, a full two weeks prior to the quarter ending. Pre-orders of the devices began even earlier on March 2.

Samsung shipped 78.2 million smartphones last quarter, according to the research firms, but its estimated 22.6 to 23.4 percent market share was essentially unchanged from the year-ago quarter, despite the bumped-up Galaxy S9 launch. Last year, the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ were released April 21.

q1-2018-smartphones-idc.jpg

Samsung continues to lead the smartphone market in shipments, but it sells a variety of handsets at a wide range of price points. Apple typically ships fewer iPhones, but the company captured an estimated 87 percent of smartphone profits in the December quarter, according to research firm Canaccord Genuity.

Apple doesn't disclose iPhone sales on a model-by-model basis, but given iPhone revenue increased 14 percent last quarter despite only a three percent rise in unit sales, the higher-priced iPhone X was likely a big factor.

Article Link: iPhone's Market Share Grew Slightly Last Quarter Despite a Few Weeks of Galaxy S9 Availability

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Well, Apple just told us the iPhone X is the best selling phone in Apple's lineup since release the best selling phone in China. Apple also has the top 3 best selling phones in Asia.

It's official, Apple is dominating and iPhone X was a HUGE "Superbowl" success. ;)
[doublepost=1525273618][/doublepost]
I bought an S9. My fifth Android and first that feels as responsive (snappy) as an iPhone.
Give it 6 months.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Xiaomi is actually the most interesting part about this chart. They will soon be number 3.

Edit: why did MR cut off the year over year change from the chart? it was there a few minutes ago..

Edit2: and now they added it back, lol

D2r2gXH.jpg

Last edited:

wayoutwest5505

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Utah
Bought a Black 12+ for the wife. She wants the home button. Miss the old headphone jack. The X does not interest me.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy has never fared well head to head with Apple. Heck Samsung will have to combine all their phones sold to line up on the same grid as Apple. The most interesting and credible threat for Apple a couple of years down the road are the rising volumes on Huawei and Xiaomi.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
6 months after it released, the iPhone X is no longer in production smh.
False, fake news. It's the best selling iPhone every week since release. PRETTY sure they need to make it until the new phones drop. They don't have enough channel inventory until September to meet demand, lol.

iPhone X being out of the lineup in September will have nothing to do with poor sales and everything to do with product positioning.

There will be FaceID phones OVER $999, so it's not because the X was starting at $999.
[doublepost=1525275213][/doublepost]
Xiaomi is actually the most interesting part about this chart. They will soon be number 3.

Edit: why did MR cut off the year over year change from the chart? it was there a few minutes ago..

Edit2: and now they added it back, lol

D2r2gXH.jpg
It is interesting, but only as it relates to other budget Android. The "Others" y/y change are clearly the ones being hit by Xiaomi. They don't impact Apple, as predicted.

Remember folks, it's about the software/hardware integration. People that buy Apple phones want iOS so a cheap Android with similar hardware isn't going to compare.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The S9 is a complete flop.

When Samsun's own Display division reported lackluster OLED sales for top-tier phones, analysts jumped to the conclusion that that phone was the iPhone X. Now we know it wasn't the case.
If it is a flop that’s a shame. It’s a pleasure to use and has definite advantages over the X I had. I get much better call quality and the cameras on the S9+ are amazing. It records gorgeous videos in beautiful immersive stereo audio. The display is great and doesn’t give me eye strain due to flicker the way the one on the X did. It retains the headphone jack. It has fantastic water resistance. It comes in gorgeous colors.

It is possible it might start to lag in a few months. But my iPhone 7 Plus did after updates, too. So far it’s going strong for both me and my husband.

It really doesn’t deserve to flop. I was pretty salty on Samsung but the S9+ has reeled me back in again.

I don’t think the X deserved to flop, either. It wasn’t the right choice for me, but for a first generation of a new form factor that is debuting new technology, it seemed pretty polished. If it’s doing well, that’s very encouraging. I hope Apple refines and fixes a few issues it has and does well.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
If it is a flop that’s a shame. It’s a pleasure to use and has definite advantages over the X I had. I get much better call quality and the cameras on the S9+ are amazing. It records gorgeous videos in beautiful immersive stereo audio. The display is great and doesn’t give me eye strain due to flicker the way the one on the X did. It retains the headphone jack. It has fantastic water resistance. It comes in gorgeous colors.

It is possible it might start to lag in a few months. But my iPhone 7 Plus did after updates, too. So far it’s going strong for both me and my husband.

It really doesn’t deserve to flop. I was pretty salty on Samsung but the S9+ has reeled me back in again.

I don’t think the X deserved to flop, either. It wasn’t the right choice for me, but for a first generation of a new form factor that is debuting new technology, it seemed pretty polished. If it’s doing well, that’s very encouraging. I hope Apple refines and fixes a few issues it has and does well.

I have S9+ and agree with your observations. In my place obviously due to HUGE price difference (iPhone X and 8 plus @ $1200-$1500 range) S9 and S9+ (nearly $850-$950) selling hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Anyone active in Samsung news knows the S9/S9+ were going to be stop gap marginal upgrades. The Note 9 might be a huge game changer, but I doubt it. The one new phone that could be innovative is the rumored Galaxy X phone with a foldable display or some maneuverable display.

Phone manufacturers will suffer dealing with a very mature market.
[doublepost=1525276581][/doublepost]
I bought an S9. My fifth Android and first that feels as responsive (snappy) as an iPhone.

Is that pre-iOS11 iPhone snappy? Give it some time. Samsung will not support your phone and you need constant dalvik wipes and resets to keep your phone steady.

Reactions: Agit21

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
wasn't there a report out this week saying S9 has suffered badly sales wise in a few markets?

S9 is a great phone though. Software just lets it down for me.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Yup. Watched a couple Youtubers go on and on about how this indicated that the the X was a “flop.”
There's a pause button so they don't have to go on and on. :)

Over the course of my smartphone "existence", if you will, I used Android (HTC One M8, Nexus 5). I came to Apple to try a 4s but didn't really care for it. I tried again with a 6s and I'm glad it's upgrade time.

I'm opting for an S9. To each their own.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
wasn't there a report out this week saying S9 has suffered badly sales wise in a few markets?

S9 is a great phone though. Software just lets it down for me.

It’s not surprising. Samsung keeps jacking prices higher and higher without offering the premium Apple experience.

People may also be clocking onto the fact your Samsung phone gets abandoned for software updates within less than two years, whereas Apple supports devices for years and years longer.

alllexx

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
It’s not surprising. Samsung keeps jacking prices higher and higher without offering the premium Apple experience.

People may also be clocking onto the fact your Samsung phone gets abandoned for software updates within less than two years, whereas Apple supports devices for years and years longer.
For me, its all about the eco system: Mac + iPad + iPhone + Apple Watch + AirPods > Samsung Windows laptop + Galaxy Tab + Galaxy S + Gear watch + Gear IconX

Reactions: aloshka

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
[doublepost=1525276581][/doublepost]

One big advantage Apple has over the rest as the market becomes mature and saturated is that they have the iPhone "brand" that they can continue to market at higher prices to make up for any sales volume loss.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
The S9 is going on sale/discount soon as reported on GMA this morning. Didn't they just release this? If you offer discounts shortly after release, no one will buy it until the first discount.
[doublepost=1525280912][/doublepost]

And yet people are complaining that APPL is moving towards monthly subscribers as an income stream.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
During the Jan-March Qtr, Apple sold ~9.4M iPhone X units, ~8.36M iPhone 8+ units, ~8.36M iPhone 8 units, ~7.83M iPhone 7+ units, ~7.83M iPhone 7 units, AND the rest (~12.0M units) were older 6s/6s+/SE models.

Of those who purchased the iPhone X, ~90% we're already in Apple's Annual Upgrade Program.

9.4M units is NO Super Bowl win Mr. Cook ! ... and certainly NOT when most who purchased we're "already" in your Annual Upgrade Program !

Even if my calculations are off alittle, Apple still sold less than 10M units of it's Flagship iPhone X during the Jan-March Qtr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.