Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider publishes comments by UBS analyst Benjamin Reitzes after a meeting between him and Apple executives Peter Oppenheimer (Chief Financial Officer), David Moody (Vice President of Mac Product Marketing), and Eddy Cue (Vice President of iTunes).

As always, Apple didn't reveal any information on new products, but was reportedly "confident the [iPhone] will ship on time with volumes to meet customer demand".

The analysts expects "an innovative method of in-store activation and in-store displays for the iPhone, along with customer-friendly billing that could tie customers further into the Apple online store."

For what its worth, the analyst also expects for 2007: "new video iPods including a widescreen video iPod with multi-touch technology (likely flash), higher capacity nanos and shuffles and new Macs into the holidays"

UBS analyst Benjamin Reitzes' track record for predictions are logged in our Guides.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
Apple should be able to come up with a drop dead simple way to activate in iTunes and manage your minutes and account through iTunes as well. Can't wait to see how it all works out.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
For what its worth, the analyst also expects for 2007: "new video iPods including a widescreen video iPod with multi-touch technology (likely flash), higher capacity nanos and shuffles and new Macs into the holidays"

Emphasis on the 'for what its worth' ... analyst predictions are almost always off as they have no basis other than what we already know.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
No evidence whatsoever, but it would be cool if the aforementioned video iPod had Wi-Fi and the stripped-down Safari and other non-phone apps also.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
For what its worth, the analyst also expects for 2007: "new video iPods including a widescreen video iPod with multi-touch technology (likely flash)

No!!

No No No No NO!!!

I hope the 'likely flash' statement ends up being untrue. I want a widescreen video iPod with multi-touch technology with a big, bad 120gb hard drive in it. Don't disappoint, Apple!

jwa276

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
No evidence whatsoever, but it would be cool if the aforementioned video iPod had Wi-Fi and the stripped-down Safari and other non-phone apps also.

Ehhh... I think that is very doubtful... In fact, I hope it is not so. I would rather Apple concentrate all of its net based mobile software into the iPhone. The only thing extra I would enjoy would be the ability to browse the iTunes store and buy music/videos straight from an iPod.

The iPod is a wonderfully simplistic device. It is a music/video player, and it does a damn good job as far as the interface goes. Giving it Safari and just a few other little semi-pointless mobile applications would merely bloat the interface and probably devalue the device as a whole.

Just my opinion, no hard feelings! :)

What really amazes me is how these guys are nothing more than salesmen. Give them a few buzz words to spew and spread around, and the business world just goes "Oh my God! An innovative in-store activation and marketing? Well, that just guarantees success!"

I've yet to see any form of advertising which was the cureative for any and all new products. What'd they do, so this guy a Pantone color and say "See? This PMS color is scientifically guaranteed to turn every customer into a drooling idiot within 50 feet."

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
UBS analyst Benjamin Reitzes' track record for predictions are logged in our Guides.

I've really it when a link like this appears along with predictions. :D I've seen this with some other analyst lately, too.

A link to AI and TS's prediction record should be included in rumors from them as well...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I have a comment. Some people have been complaining about Macs being delayed leading to iPhone (ATN). Others have noted that they simply have been "on schedule" (given the MacRumors.Com time from last update), and others still are concerned about Intel updates including Santa Rosa (already released to Korean consumers) and Stokley-Seaburg (MM!).

I say this.

iPhone is going to have "the mother of all" halo effects. I urge Apple to update their entire line to the "best foot forward" ASAP.

They have what can only be decribed as a "great" product line RIGHT NOW.

If you are a 64 bit advocate (as Apple is), you NEED to update:
Mac-Mini
MacBook
MacBookPro

Graphics options on iMac.

If you are a "bleeding edge consumer" you want a "Quad core iMac", a C2D Mac-Mini, the GD USB port activated on Apple TV, Santa Rosa portables and iMacs on the low end, and S-S on MacPro to "properly address" 8 way.

Here's what will happen.

MacBookPro 15 update (100,000 units, order early)
Mac-Mini update
Leopard Beta
iPhone release

The rest will follow unscheduled, but for a FULL YEAR+ it is important for Apple geeks to know C2D is the thing. If you need a computer and it has C2D, buy it and be happy.

iPhone is going to wipe out Apple's fulfillment and CS centers for a FULL YEAR+. This is a big deal. Pissed about that? Then BUY APPLE STOCK. It will appease/compensate you :)

Rocketman

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Emphasis on the 'for what its worth' ... analyst predictions are almost always off as they have no basis other than what we already know.
They know less... Companies are more careful about what they reveal to analysts than about what they'd say to just about anyone else.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
No!!

No No No No NO!!!

I hope the 'likely flash' statement ends up being untrue. I want a widescreen video iPod with multi-touch technology with a big, bad 120gb hard drive in it. Don't disappoint, Apple!
I don't expect the hard drive versions will go away. Dropping the high capacity models would leave a big gaping hole for competition to move in.

The all flash lineup is hype.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Analysts are nothing more than consultants...

They tell you something that you already know.... except for some unknown reason they get paid good money to do it.

New Macs by the holidays???? Holy ***** Erma!!!! Get the cows back in here!!!! You're never gonna believe this!

I've been saying just as THOUSANDS have been saying for hmmmmm maybe 6 months at least that Apple needs to update the Mac mini models.....

I've got an analytical soliloquy for you all....
This June, developers will get their hands on Leopard Beta. We will see the launch of the iPhone. And while some may say I am going out on a limb here yet I am almost uncertainly confident that Apple will release some form of an updated Mac model that currently exists.

Bite me analysts.... that'll be $750....

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Good to have reassurance about supplies. I might fall on the ground and start to twitch if I couldn't get one opening day.

/geek-out

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
Almost every person on this site would have been able to give you MOST of that info atleast a month and a half ago.

Richard Bleiche

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Pennsylvania
"Innovative Activation"

Clearly if the "innovative activation" is true, it would make complete sense for Apple to have in-store Macs at all AT&T stores. Somehow the activation would involve "Sync'ing" your iPhone to the Mac (perhaps through the iTunes store?), which in some way activates the phone.

This would provide visual and broad exposure for customers to see the macs work and attract those that aren't initially entering the store to purchase an iPhone.

I can't see them doing it by any lesser means.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I'm looking forward to a mini C2D update and some a new imac design – would make me feel a whole lot safe about buying soon.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
i want the iphone without the phone part.

think about it. widescreen video ipod, widgets, wi-fi email and internet, without an expensive contract. sounds good to me.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
i want the iphone without the phone part.

think about it. widescreen video ipod, widgets, wi-fi email and internet, without an expensive contract. sounds good to me.

Despite comments above to say otherwise I think this is not an unreasonable expectation. It makes sense to share the iPhone development (OS-wise) with more devices.

The thing that may delay this is the worldwide launch schedule for the iPhone. Will they release a phone-less iPhone (ie new iPod) before all territories have the iPhone?

I'd say that's unlikely, however much I'd like it to be true.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
iPhone - you know what it's got
iPod Widescreen - 100-120 GB HDD, Multi-touch, USB - no BT or Wi-Fi
nano Widescreen - 4-16GB Flash, no Multi-touch, USB
Shuffle - maybe bigger, maybe not

We'll see in a few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.