Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with iOS 17, all iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 models offer a roadside assistance via satellite feature that allows users in the U.S. to contact roadside assistance company AAA for vehicle service when outside of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage. In a video shared today, tech reviewer Brian Tong provided a look at the feature in action.

apple-roadside-assistance.jpg

To use the feature, open the Messages app and start a new message. Next, type "roadside" into the address field. When there is no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage available, a "Roadside Assistance" option will appear. Tap on "Roadside Assistance" and follow the on-screen instructions to connect your iPhone to a Globalstar satellite and request help from AAA. You'll need to be outside with a clear view of the sky and horizon, according to Apple.

Tong demoed the feature by having AAA come to jump-start his car's battery. The feature can also be used if you are locked out of your vehicle, have a flat tire, run out of fuel, and for other services offered by AAA.

The feature is included free for two years starting at the time of activation of any new iPhone 14 or iPhone 15 model, with service covered per your AAA membership plan. If you aren't a AAA member, you can still use the service on a pay-per-use basis.

Apple said roadside assistance via satellite is available "beginning" in the U.S., suggesting that it will expand the feature to additional countries over time, but it has not provided any specific details. In Canada, there is a AAA-like organization called CAA, so it would make sense for the service to expand to that country eventually.

Roadside assistance via satellite is an extension of the Emergency SOS via satellite feature. Apple recently extended free usage of the satellite features for an additional year.

Article Link: iPhone's Roadside Assistance via Satellite Feature Tested in New Video

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It was a good move launching this with a fee as that's understandable.

I really want to see what they are going to say when/if they start charging for emergency satellite rescue. Seems like a hard one even for Apple to spin into something people will accept. Of course it's understandable there's a fee but it's almost like offering a free trial of 911 and then telling people they have to pay.

Of course you have to pay for the services you receive after being rescued, but the call is free. I know it's not actually free, we all pay for it on our phone bill every month.

The more I think about it the more interested I am in what they will say and do.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I get their point. Apple could add a button to access the feature in Settings > Emergency SOS.
Even having it be clicking on the satellite symbol in the row of status icons that would bring up a menu of the options would be a massive improvement.

They could present a button in the messages app now that you’re in SOS Satellite mode to on board you to your options if you need them.

So many things they could do to improve this flow to increase discoverability and usefulness.

It feels like they hid this like a gesture. Except there isn’t anything “natural” about accessing it this way.

My guess is they are still improving on the feature and are trying to limit its use until they’ve completed. Only way I can explain such a complex usability flow for a company that focuses more on user experience than anyone else in the technology industry.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

I really want to see what they are going to say when/if they start charging for emergency satellite rescue. Seems like a hard one even for Apple to spin into something people will accept. Of course it's understandable there's a fee but it's almost like offering a free trial of 911 and then telling people they have to pay.

Of course you have to pay for the services you receive after being rescued, but the call is free. I know it's not actually free, we all pay for it on our phone bill every month.

The more I think about it the more interested I am in what they will say and do.
More than likely it will end up in the Apple One subscription like Apple News+.

That gives them room to charge for it without excessive blowback.

I expect it will go something like:

Free for two years with the purchase of a new iPhone.
$5/m afterwards, or free with an Apple One subscription.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Reactions: SuperCachetes

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016

We don't pay for this on our phone bill every month as this is via satellite when we don't have our phone service. So Apple is covering the cost for now from profit. Not likely will continue to be free.

PowerFlower

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2023
Apple said roadside assistance via satellite is available "beginning" in the U.S., suggesting that it will expand the feature to additional countries over time, but it has not provided any specific details. In Canada, there is a AAA-like organization called CAA, so it would make sense for the service to expand to that country eventually.
What's funny is that the emergency satellite functionality is available in countries where it's highly unlikely you'd ever not have any kind of cell signal, like the Netherlands. I'm sure the ANWB "Wegenwacht" in the Netherlands will be next to offer this service, and I'm also sure they will never ever be contacted via satellite.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Regarding the extension of the free service for iPhone 14 users ... so much for the theory that Apple is trying to force people to upgrade to get these features. It makes sense that Apple keep the service free for all compatible phones until the service fully launches. However, I would not want to pay a fee for a service that I may never need. Tough one.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Awkward how? This is only if you are out of cell service... if you're in cell service, you would just call...

It's counter-intuitive, relying on the user to remember how to access it. Imagine a 75+ year old stuck along some highway, stressed and confused... do you think they would remember this vs. tapping some handy button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.