Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
My tab s 10.5 screen is brilliant, I watch TV and movies in bed with it.
I've never really been troubled by the pentile matrix but no light bleed (really, light bleed is such a good experience killer) and blackest blacks make it stunning.
I'd love to see that screen improved, considering it's near perfect for what I use it for.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If you think these panels look good now, imagine how they'll look if we can ever get Samsung to produce a REAL 2560x1440 panel (full RGB instead of pentile). Would also like to see them drop the PWM (flicker dimming) in favor of proper dimming, which OLED is more than capable of.

There must be something forcing them to stick with pentile (diamond) because both Occulus and HTC wanted full RGB panels for their VR systems to minimize screen door effect and couldn't get them. The blue OLED subpixels have a faster degradation rate and my guess has always been that they're more stable if they're larger.

I don't think the use of PWM is a property of the panel so much as it's the method Samsung chooses to use to control brightness. Probably saving power or reducing burn-in potential here.

I can tolerate the burn-in potential considering the average lifespan (before resale) of these devices. YMMV; I still see 1 year devices with mild burn-in, but it's really not my main concern.
It's rumored the Note 6 will be full RGB, not sure about pwm.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
yet the average person wouldn't see any difference at all. The screen quailty on the 6S plus is just fine and it has outstanding battery life. I certainly wouldn't want a better screen if the battery life is worse.
The screen on the galaxy appears rich with colour and does impress. But the iPhone screen is certainly not embarrassing next to it IMO. Unless a user is holding these phones side by side and scrutinising them closely, it's not going to cause a concern for most people.

This doesn't mean Apple should not improve next time around. Improvement is always a good thing and Apple need to start delivering. If their release this year matches the Galaxy S7, I think they will be onto a winner. If it's just taking away a headphone jack, improving the camera, and a wireless charging feature with a ridiculously expensive charger, I will be disappointed.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The screen on the galaxy appears rich with colour and does impress. But the iPhone screen is certainly not embarrassing next to it IMO. Unless a user is holding these phones side by side and scrutinising them closely, it's not going to cause a concern for most people.

This doesn't mean Apple should not improve next time around. Improvement is always a good thing and Apple need to start delivering. If their release this year matches the Galaxy S7, I think they will be onto a winner. If it's just taking away a headphone jack, improving the camera, and a wireless charging feature with a ridiculously expensive charger, I will be disappointed.
Agreed, any features are needed to compete but I hope apple don't have the mindset of well people will buy it anyway no matter what

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I predict that someone will now mention the potential for burn in on AMOLED displays. For the record, I've been working at a phone store since November and thus seen many a customer's old Galaxy phone. The only burn in I've seen have been on the display models, not people's years old phones.

It can occur for the unlucky people though, just as LCDs can suffer from backlight bleed and other issues. Every different display technology has the potential to go wrong.

Exactly. :)

I've had Galaxy phones since the S2, and the last time I saw burn in was after using the S2 for over a year, after that had S3, S4 and Note 4.

My S4 I've had since Global launch in early 2013, used it up until late 2014 as my main, it is used as a GPS , especially when holiday at a destination where I have hired a car with no SatNav, or as a hotspot, to this day the display has no burn-in.

My Note 4 I have had since late 2014 launch up to currently, no burn-in either.

Samsung have done a great job in fixing a lot of issues AMOLEDs had in their early days. From the Note 2 up, the issues of Daylight legibility, sharpness etc... Are a thing of the past. The burn-in issues seemed to disappear in the S3 days.

It is understandable with Display Units, but I will be impressed when they sort that out to, but it seems these are issues even a lot of different makes of TVs still have.

The day Apple start using AMOLED will be great, I do wish my iPads display was as good as my Note 4's, in terms of contrast of colours, sharpness and vividness.

The Display settings that Samsung has been able to implement in the Galaxys are what I really like, from having the most blown up colours (I use AMOLED Cinema, love the high saturation), to more neutral, and even toned down, and then also Adaptive, allowing the phone to adjust according to lighting in whatever area you in is great.

Stea1th

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Talking about burn in is like grabbing at straws. Only those who hate Android make the straw man argument.

The burn in screen that was posted looks like it's from a store demo from a att store.

Which runs the device alive demo loop 24/7

Reactions: maxsix

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I can show you photos of burn in on my partners (my old) S5 of you want...

I love samoled/amoled screens and choose them every time but to say burn/image retention isn't a reality is just wrong.
I don't hate android either.
Love em both actually :)

Attachments

• 20160403_163137.jpg
    20160403_163137.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

My fear is because it's a new design year and the apple brand is still looking very strong, they might hold back on any seriously new or innovative feature. The upgrades would be all the obvious and natural ones, but the new design will steal the show.

Hope that doesn't happen or I would be just as disappointed as you.

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
I actually prefer LCD over Samsung's over saturated screen.
Such a stock answer from 2012,

You know there's 4 different display modes don't you? Of cours not, because you haven't used galaxy for several years.
[doublepost=1459687916][/doublepost]
Sounds like my reaction to originally seeing an AMOLED screen. It's the best out there bar none. But that's not to say that the iPhone screens are bad. I don't mind them at all. I wouldn't mind if they stuck with the current ones. AMOLED is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Now an iPad with AMOLED? That for me would be hard to resist.

And that's why I say the galaxy tab s v1 is an awesome peice of kit. Sadly overlooked by many.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Don't really agree. Or at least don't think the 6S Plus is so much poorer to get all over dramatic about it.

I have very similar experience on both my S7E (basic mode) and my 6S+

Both get very bright, both look good outdoors and I can't see pixels on either. Colour accuracy (after changing to full rgb basic mode) is near identical too.

So see no reason to belittle either.

One has the best LCD panel on a mobile and the other the best Amoled panel on a device.

View attachment 624236

View attachment 624237

View attachment 624238

View attachment 624239

View attachment 624240

Where did you get that background? I like it.

*Edit: never mind, I see you just posted it.

Reactions: MRU

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I can show you photos of burn in on my partners (my old) S5 of you want...

I love samoled/amoled screens and choose them every time but to say burn/image retention isn't a reality is just wrong.
I don't hate android either.
Love em both actually :)

My gs4 looks pretty similar to this. Doesn't really bother me, but it is what it is

Reactions: Klyster

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I ended up selling the 6S Plus. In the meantime I got the S7 Edge and then the Moto X Pure which was on sale at BB for $299. What the latter offers for the "dollar spent" obliterates the 6S Plus.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
This guy gets it.

The only thing I can noticeably tell is different is the AMOLED's blacks are much nicer.

I had a Galaxy S6 prior to getting an iPhone 6S and the screen is something I really miss.

Overall image clarity, contrast, blacks and color are all superior.

They screen is one of the things I miss most about my Samsung.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I am fairly indifferent between LCD vs OLED. The latter can look way too cartoony but I love how it saves battery on black backgrounds. I remember trying the og PS Vita and I black botches while the game was loading. I prefer LCD for longevity but can use either one.

Where Samsung might have the upper hand over their competition are the screen form factors. Huawei and Xiaomi are following the dual edged displays Samsung has ignited. By the point they all catch up which includes Apple doing some copying, Samsung has foldable displays that changes the game again for phablets.

I was thinking getting iPhone SE as a blast to the past, but things are left better for the past. I am not being forward thinking if I get SE once a Samsung with the same dimensions of an SE can be unfolded to reveal a 7-8 inch display. Now that will leave Apple in the dust.

Reactions: jamezr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm of the opinion I can admire a nice screen on a phone, but it's not a deal breaker when buying. Operating system comes as a top priority for me. I don't look at my iPhone 6 and feel sad that there are more vibrant screens on other devices. Plus unless you are holding phones side by side to compare, most people don't even think about it. It would be nice for Apple to bring a screen upgrade for the next phone, but I'm not going to cry into my cornflakes if it's not an oled.

Regardless of the many buzz words used in this thread, 'smashed, obliterates, annihilates, wipes the floor, embarrasses, shames...' Both LCD and oled screens are pretty good on modern smartphones IMO.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I would love to see a 2K display on the IP7. They need to upgrade over the 1080 on the 6s+

I disagree about the iPhone S6+ needing more than 1080p. It's not a deal-breaker, and people would only complain that the battery life has gotten worse!

I wouldn't mind seeing the iPhone 6s getting a 1080p screen though to appease the masses, but I also wouldn't mind it staying the same, since 1080p on a 4.7" screen is a bit overkill.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I disagree about the iPhone S6+ needing more than 1080p. It's not a deal-breaker, and people would only complain that the battery life has gotten worse!

I wouldn't mind seeing the iPhone 6s getting a 1080p screen though to appease the masses, but I also wouldn't mind it staying the same, since 1080p on a 4.7" screen is a bit overkill.
But both of those go hand in hand. I would love to see a 2K display on the IP7 and get great battery life. I would also say that in today's smartphone world a 2K display is the norm now. I would also like to see Apple optimise their technology so it will still get great battery life like my 6s+ does.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Isn't the iPhone Plus already rendering everything at 2k then down sampling to 1080? So would that mean if it had a native 2k display that it would actually perform better and use less battery since it no longer has to down sample?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am fairly indifferent between LCD vs OLED. The latter can look way too cartoony but I love how it saves battery on black backgrounds. I remember trying the og PS Vita and I black botches while the game was loading. I prefer LCD for longevity but can use either one.

Where Samsung might have the upper hand over their competition are the screen form factors. Huawei and Xiaomi are following the dual edged displays Samsung has ignited. By the point they all catch up which includes Apple doing some copying, Samsung has foldable displays that changes the game again for phablets.

I was thinking getting iPhone SE as a blast to the past, but things are left better for the past. I am not being forward thinking if I get SE once a Samsung with the same dimensions of an SE can be unfolded to reveal a 7-8 inch display. Now that will leave Apple in the dust.
Try using that one-handed on the e train at Lexington ave; unlike an iPhone SE which would be perfect on the crowded train.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Try using that one-handed on the e train at Lexington ave; unlike an iPhone SE which would be perfect on the crowded train.
Did you miss the part of his post which said Samsung will use foldable OLED (which they have patents for) and fit a 6 inch phone on a form factor of the SE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.