iPhoneVM - Virtual RAM for iphone is now a reality

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rez07, Sep 30, 2009.

1. rez07 macrumors member

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I just installed this and watched the video, but it doesn't really explain how to use it. Do I have to do anything apart from actually install it?

3. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

sounds like you don't even know what virtual ram is.

also i can't see this being too helpful besides just slowing your phone down even more.

4. Bodah macrumors regular

This looks very interesting. I think I will wait for a few more people to weigh in before I make the jump.

5. madmak macrumors member

There is a 23 page thread here extolling its benefits:

http://www.xsellize.com/showthread.php?t=64695

6. koollectablz macrumors 6502

You have to be logged into that site to read that.

7. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

well do you not have more RAM?

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Awesome!

This should hopefully fix some lag problems I've been having after restoring from 2.2.1 to 3.1. Seems so slow.

Anyway, does this work with the iPod Touch?

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Can anyone confirm a benefit from this?

So it mounts part of the / directory as Swap or as RAM? Should be fast enough, I suppose to be a benefit if allocation between physical and VM is handled well.

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

what is the app called? :confused:

I can't watch YT vids at work! :mad:

11. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

In the thread title + linked article maybe ?! :rolleyes:

12. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

13. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

hardly. more like a 23 page thread full of clueless illegal app crackers who barely speak english all asking what the heck is going on.

14. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Had to click a few more links, and found out I had to restart after installation. I do now have more memory. Sitting around the 50MB at the moment, which is up from 12 :eek:

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

16. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Okay after installing it and rebooting my phone went immediately into safe mode. :eek:

After I did another restart it seems fine. it doesn't show more ram than before but so far when I open up apps and background them the "free memory" seems to not drop off so much. So...:confused:

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Are you on 3.1?

18. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Does it help the lag? Because people claim they gave 70mb free ram, so that means the lag should improve. If it doesn't then the prograam doesn't work. For all I know it might just change your ram numbers tricking you into thinking you have more.

19. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

No. 3.0.

After using it for a few minutes I've had no problems since the safe mode incident.

I have 6 apps open and using kirikae. I have my free memory stats in my status bar. It has NOT dropped below 30 mb and the phone acts like it would at 30 mb. Might want to try it guys..

Seems to help some with the lag..I have over 1.1 gb of other stored on my phone. Mostly mms messages.:eek: so that app is going to open slower anyways. After a respring I had 46 mb of free ram. Nothing out of the ordinary, but it used to drop fast and lag when I start to multi task. With this installed it doesnt drop fast or much at all. So...

20. Sboxer macrumors newbie

Just tried it

Prior to install it, I had 19Mb free. Had 60Mb after installing it and a restart. Things definitely seem much faster. So far so good. This is on a 3G running JB 3.1.

21. Bodah macrumors regular

I have two concerns that I can think of about using this.

1. Decreased battery life. My battery life is short enough already.

2. Decreased life of the flash memory in the iPhone. It would constantly be writing to swap file, so that could possibly decrease the life of the memory.

22. deltadog03 macrumors member

dosn't the free up memory under SBsettings and process do the same thing? Or is this suppose to be a continous process with this program?

23. Bodah macrumors regular

This creates a Swap file that is used as Virtual Memory on the flash drive of the iPhone.
    The SBSettings free memory just clears out the physical memory to free it up.

24. dazey macrumors 6502

Awesome. Didn't bother to install it on my 3gs as that does not have problems but my 3G is now able to run Tuner internet radio in the background without running out of memory when checking for mail etc. Given the 3G a whole new lease of life.

25. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

i tried this on my 3G...it did slow my phone down in terms of springboard and such. It gave me a second lag switching pages.

I cant comment on the battery life as i only had it installed for a few hours to test.

However, it does what it claims...i was able to background safari, Ipod running music, irealsms and was playing bowman. Still had like 50mb according to Sbsettings.

Sbsettings would also freeze when freeing up memory. I had to reset to get it back working.