Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I am really have a hard time deciding between the two? I am going to switch from a s8 flat to iphone for the first time and not sure what i should choose. I can't afford the iphonex 256gb so i have to decide between the two.

It’s up to you in the phone, I personally prefer the X but don’t have one.
Anyway, I subscribe to the iCloud and it costs peanuts, think it’s £2.50 a month? But for that my entire music playlists and videos and photos and all my iOS devices are backed up. It’s a good piece of mind.
You can also store files I think to it?
For me it’s worked out well.

You can also easily see your used storage in the cloud and what is using it. It’s pretty easy to manage. And of course it’s accesable on any Apple device.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
As has been mentioned, a removable SD drive is not really needed. There are multiple solutions to offloading data from your phone both locally and in the cloud. That being said, neither option will be as convenient as having additional capacity on your phone. And I personally don't like the idea of having certain data on the cloud but ymmv.

Good luck with your choice.

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
I put my full 180GB photo library from iCloud on my 256GB 7 Plus, it’s really nice. That would not be worth it when buying a new phone, way more expensive. I’d get the nicest phone over the one with more storage.

Personally though, between the 8 Plus and X, I’d want the 8 Plus for its larger screen.

This. The iphone X had the notch and when you watch videos it crops them anyway. Although it's 5.8" it has an odd aspect ratio meaning the iphone 8 plus screen is actually bigger in square inches and videos fit perfectly on the screen. And for usability it wins (home button, touch id, bezels to hold it in landscape mode more easily, etc)
[doublepost=1525231477][/doublepost]
This. The iphone X had the notch and when you watch videos it crops them anyway. Although it's 5.8" it has an odd aspect ratio meaning the iphone 8 plus screen is actually bigger in square inches and videos fit perfectly on the screen. And for usability it wins (home button, touch id, bezels to hold it in landscape mode more easily, etc)

*has

Reactions: George Dawes

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
[doublepost=1525231477][/doublepost]

*has

Interesting to hear you say that about the screen...

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I am really have a hard time deciding between the two? I am going to switch from a s8 flat to iphone for the first time and not sure what i should choose. I can't afford the iphonex 256gb so i have to decide between the two.
You should create a poll. I would vote for the iPhone X. Newest design, the iPhone 8 has the iPhone 6 design and is very much outdated. All the upcomig iphones will have the iPhone x design.

Storage wise, be efficient with the space. With the cloud storage these days and compression efficiency, you won’t have a problem

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
You should create a poll. I would vote for the iPhone X. Newest design, the iPhone 8 has the iPhone 6 design and is very much outdated. All the upcomig iphones will have the iPhone x design.

Storage wise, be efficient with the space. With the cloud storage these days and compression efficiency, you won’t have a problem

Me personally I wouldn't worry about a dated design. If it isn't broke why fix it. Eventually you will have to evolve but not just yet.

macmahon70

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Brussels
I have a similar issue, I would like to get the Iphone 8 Plus 64Gb (less expensive than the 256) and save the difference with the 256 price by using the Icloud service... I have an Ipad Pro 256 (could not choose a 128Gb, thanks Apple again :mad:) but I rarely use photos/videos on it.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have a similar issue, I would like to get the Iphone 8 Plus 64Gb (less expensive than the 256) and save the difference with the 256 price by using the Icloud service... I have an Ipad Pro 256 (could not choose a 128Gb, thanks Apple again :mad:) but I rarely use photos/videos on it.
I paid $849 for a 128GB iPhone 6 and the 128GB 6+ was $949 at the time. If one needs more than 64GB, $849/949 for a 256GB iPhone 8/8+ doesn't seem too bad.

As for the OP, what do you actually want? An iPhone 8+ or a X? If you focus too much on storage, then you're probably gonna regret not getting the phone you want. Honestly though, you're already spending $1K on the phone. If you really do need extra the storage, just save up a little more ($150) to get the 256GB X.

Reactions: akash.nu

scottrods

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Garland, TX
I'm digging' my iPhone 8. Simply put... it just works. I went with the big capacity and have no regrets. I think I'll give the Face ID and all the new stuff a little bit to wear in and see any improvements after this first year of the Nearly Bezel-less design. Apparently Google Likes the UI enough to copy a lot of it, so it may come around to be "THE way" soon enough. I wish Apple and everyone else would get their cameras and front facing stuff back in a damn bezel and get over the notch thing... not a fan of "Almost got rid of the bezel" approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.