iphoto 08 does not save noise correction and sharpness

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iphotonut, May 22, 2008.

1. iphotonut macrumors newbie

iphoto 08 will not save noise correction as well as sharpness. anyone try to prove me wrong. apple know of the problem but wont fix it. try it you will notice only changes happen in the edit window. once you leave that window and click on your edited photo you will see original noise and sharpness appears. All your photo prints ,slideshows, photo prints off apple , including apple photo books will all have your original noise and sharpness. In other words it basically does not correct noise or sharpness in the real world. Go to your modified folders try everything it does not work. see for your self. please spread this info everywhere until apple will listen. they wont listen to me ...but they will listen to 20,000 users. I dont want to have to buy aperture. I like iphoto its so simple and easy. All features should work properly.

very upset spending $3000 on mac and they wont help
    iphoto nut

2. bking1000 macrumors 65816

Mine works fine. There are three "edit" options though -- edit in the window, edit in a new window (it will pop-up a floating window) or edit full screen. I use edit full screen (you can set this in preferences). Not sure if that makes a difference, but all my adjustments stick.

Not sure what you mean by this statement ". Go to your modified folders try everything it does not work." What do you mean by modified folders?

3. Drgroomes macrumors newbie

about a month ago i accidently deleted my iphoto application. I now have installed the the 2008 iLife onto my computer. However when i try to open the iphoto it tell me to upgrade and gives me this message:

"Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process may take several minutes depending on the number of photos in the library."

When i click on the upgrade button it then replies that:

"This photo library is damaged and cannot be upgraded"

What do i do?

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Same here. Well, sharpness is the only one I use, and it sticks. :confused:

What I'd do is to run the Software Update and make sure you're on the absolute latest version. If you just reinstalled from the CD, then you're probably a few versions behind.

If your library is damaged, you might try reading through here and see if it helps:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107947

If that doesn't, just google for "iphoto rebuild library". Looks like there's a lot of documents out there.

5. bking1000 macrumors 65816

Try going to apple's discussion forums http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=143

There are a LOT of threads on recovering iPhoto libraries there.

6. iphotonut thread starter macrumors newbie

your wrong it doesnt save changes to outside edit window

Hi Bking1000

It always has it saved in the edit window but when you leave to the window where the photo library is and just click on the same photo you will see no change to noise and sharpness.....It is not untill you click the edit icon that the changes occur. All your slideshows , Apple photo books, prints ect only work from the photo library window not the edit window. Colour, brightness ect changes seem to transfer to the library so are ok. Even if you go to the modified folder the noise and sharpness do not change. The colour , brightness ect does. I had mac support on the phone and they simulated the problem with me and have admited the problem and passed it on to engineering and they said that because i am the only one they wont fix it. If 20000 ppl complained they might make changes.
    Have a look again and see if your noise and sharpness changes in the photo library not the edit window.
    Please pass this on to as many ppl as possible once you see what i am talking about
    yours sincerely
    iphotonut

7. bking1000 macrumors 65816

Sorry, but I am not following your workflow. I hit "A" to bring up the adjust menu, and I can only do this from the edit winder. I don't know what you mean by the library window.

I won't be so rude as to say it's not a problem for you, and I do feel for you, but could I suggest you might adapt your workflow to edit in the edit window? I haven't heard of this issue from anyone else, and I've been a regular on iPhoto forums here and there since about Sept last year.

Anyone else having this issue that can help iphotonut?? Please chime in.

Here's one thought, though -- how do you edit? In full screen? One thing I've noticed in full screen editing is if you open full screen to edit, then hit escape to get out of that screen, you lose your edits. You have to hit the x in the lower right hand corner, or hit the left or right key to move to the next picture to save your edits. If you hit escape from full screen editing, you lose your edits. So, my solution, is to not hit the esc key. Not sure if that's the issue your talking about or not, but maybe it helps...

8. iphotonut thread starter macrumors newbie

Alert: iphoto should be checked by all that use it. It doesnt save noise or sharpness

Hi bking1000

once you have edited you photo and hit to go outside the edited window whether full screen or whatever its all the same. You will see that when you first choose a photo without choosing edit you will see your previous changes to sharpness and noise correction dont change from the original photo. It is not untill you choose edit that your changes will be seen. I refer to photo library as the window when you first open up an event in iphoto the one with all the thumbnails. All your prints , slideshows, photo books work from this window not the edit window. If you choose a slideshow you will see the original noise and sharpness. It took mac support 4 phone calls for them to understand. Look closely and one would think all your changes should be saved into the main window. Going edit full screen or separate window or in main window doesnt change anything once out of those windows.
    yours sincerely
    iphotonut

9. bking1000 macrumors 65816

OK. Sorry I still don't see the behavior you are describing. Even in thumbnails view, my pictures how all the edits changes. Hopefully someone else will chime in, if they see the same problem? Good luck on your search.

10. SophiaSeeker macrumors newbie

help with iphoto

I am brand new here, trying to figure out about saving changes in iphoto. I too am unable to save changes after making adjustments in sharpness and noise correction. I have tried editing in various windows, everything suggested and nada!

I have am running leopard and I am sure I was able to save changes when I first tried it back in January. In fact, I have the photo to prove it. So what is going on?

Any help would be really appreciated.

11. bking1000 macrumors 65816

One other thought, if you double-click to edit, try not using the <esc> key to back out of editing. Rather use the arrow keys to move to the next picture, and see if that does something. I find that sometimes the <esc> key is like canceling the edits. Not sure why.

12. SophiaSeeker macrumors newbie

I never use the esc key to move on while working with photos. However, I did try editing in full screen last night (after reading your posts) and it was useless. Do I need to just call apple support??

Really, the sharpness and noise reduction aspects are key. If I can't save those changes, I will have to get another program and I really don't want to do that!

Thank you for responding.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

I'd call Apple. My iPhoto '08 has always saved all aspects of the edits I've done without problems and my slideshows, photobooks, etc have always looked fine (correctly displaying my edited photos).

14. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

The new iPhoto 08 uses non destructive editing and like Aperture or Lightroom it saves changes to the original image in sidecar files that are stored with the original image. These files are usually proprietary and will only work from the application you created them with. In the OP's case, they wondered why if they opened an image from Aperture's library with another program, the edit was gone. It is because the new program that opened the image did not recognize the sidecar files.

In order to use the edited image in another program it is necessary to export the image from iPhoto. The export command gives you the option of exporting the original image, current version (edited), jpeg,tiff or png.

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's not how iPhoto does non-destructive editing.

When you edit a photo in iPhoto, it saves a new picture containing your edits. This new picture is a full, ready-to-go picture, ... not just the meta-data of the edits you did.

For example, I just imported a picture called "jill-and-bill.jpg" into my iPhoto library. It saved the original picture in the "Originals" folder.

When I cropped the picture and saved the edit, it created a new "jill-and-bill.jpg" in a "Modified" folder inside of the iPhoto library.

This (wasted space from edits) is something that people have been complaining about for years with iPhoto.

Attached Files:

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think the reason for the problem is that you are trying to use iPhoto it a way that was not indended. The first rule of iPhoto is to NEVER look inside the folders using finder. Doing that requires that you know a lot about how iPhoto works under the hood. If ever you need to look at a photo outside of iLife use the "export" function in iPhoto and copy the images to a folder.

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't think anyone in this thread who is having a problem with iPhoto is "looking under the hood". I simply did that as a visual aid to show how iPhoto handles non-destructive editing differently from Aperture. :confused:

18. SophiaSeeker macrumors newbie

Here's the deal, guys (are you guys??). I am doing really simple, no brainer stuff. I go into iphoto, chose a photo to edit, do the editing and click 'done' and it will not keep the sharpness/noise changes. Really, I do not know enough to really follow some of what you all are talking about, but I do know enough to know I am doing what iphoto should be able to do.....easily. And it doesn't.

I will try exporting the edited version, however, as that is the one thing I have not tried. I really do not want to spend hours on the phone with Mac over this. And I have Pixelmator in my apps.....maybe I will be forced to open it, learn it and actually use it!

19. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

You are wrong and should educate yourself about non-destructive editing. You can start with the iPhoto 08 help files:

If you find have additional copies of the files you modified it is because you chose to save the copy. Modifications are stored in the "DATA" folder and are applied to the originals when the file is opened.

20. ChrisA macrumors G4

What kind of files are you editing are they .jpg or raw format? If raw what kind of camera. Something must be different between what you and others are doing.

Also I wonder if it's not just a matter of iPhoto not updating the preview thumbnail to reflect the change so you just thing it is not being saved.

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

Where is the option to "save the copy" when you're done with an edit?

I just did this as a test:

Created a new iPhoto 08 library.
    Imported a picture that has a person with red-eye in it.
    Followed (to the tee) the iPhoto 08 "Reducing red-eye" instructions from the iPhoto 08 help.

The result was a full-sized copy in the Modified folder, along with the full-sized Original.

Far as I can tell, the minute you click Done (per the iPhoto 08 help instructions), that's when the picture shows up in your Modified folder.

22. bking1000 macrumors 65816

This is all off topic now.

iPhoto edits this way -- it takes the original, applies changes, and then saves a new version, but keeps the original.

If you come back to the photo and make more changes, it makes the sum of all the new changes TO THE ORIGINAL, but still makes a copy WITH the changes applied.

(this is different than aperture which takes the original, and applies the changes on the screen, without making a copy).

This is how iPhoto works.

This is also not the OP's question. The OP says the changes (regardless of how they work under the hood) are not sticking.

OP -- my advice is you won't get the help here you need. Visit http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1192 for iPhoto help.

Check out here: http://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?objID=f1192&search=Go&q=changes+aren't+saved for a search on that database

and here for a sample response: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7064707&#7064707

This thread claims there is an issue with file permissions, and gives you the instructions to repair them. Please let us know if you get your answers there.

23. aristobrat macrumors G5

Thank you.

24. SophiaSeeker macrumors newbie

Ok, I read the stuff on the apple site linked here earlier and as far as I can tell the postings there have issues I don't have....I think. My problem is so very simple: I don't worry about original or not, I just make changes and they won't stick - ever - if the changes are noise/sharpness. Red eye, retouch both work fine.

My camera is an Olympus FE-320, I take plain ole pictures, load them, try to make a change here or there and nada.

I guess I will have to call Mac. Sorry to be so clueless....

25. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

You don't know what you are talking about.
    Edits in iPhoto are stored in the data folder, not with the original file as you suggest. Try deleting the modified file from the modified folder and then open the original in iPhoto. You will see the changes are still there.
    The results are not "sticking" because the changes are proprietary and only work within iPhoto. You need to export the edited file to keep the changes made.