iPhoto 08 Event Editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by quigleybc, Aug 9, 2007.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    So,

I think Events is a great addition to iPhoto. But, when I double click the Name of the event, I get the white box to type in....but no text appears...I can't name my event. They're all just stuck at the default name. I also tried to name the event down on the bottom left hand side where the info can be edited. no luck.

Anyone else not able to give a name to their events in iPhoto?

2. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

yup! i love the new "events". in fact, i have gotten rid of all the cumbersome albums that i have and just stuck with the events as ways of organizing my photos.

3. apodacainc macrumors newbie

iPhoto event editing

Mine let me rename all my events... most of them were untitled and that was annoying as all hell. No problem as of yet... though I'm trying to figure out what the hell it means when it says HOLD

4. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i had that the first time i changed the "key photo" for one event. but after i started working in others, the "HOLD" went away. i didn't bother finding out what it means. if it happens again, i'll try to figure it out.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

to the OP: is the problem remedied by deleting the iPhoto.plist file (search in Spotlight for it or something similar)? can you also not drag and drop a new "cover" picture to the top bar - the "cover" being the picture you see in the Events screen and the top bar being where it shows you a smaller version of that picture and the title of the event.

i think Events is a great idea and almost eliminates the need for albums. some of my pictures, though, are coming up with the wrong dates. for instance, i have a picture that i took in May that's showing up as being taken in January 2002! not a big issue but definitely looking for a quick fix.

the "hold" button is under "recently viewed" so i think it just keeps that event/album under that heading until you tell it to un-hold. not sure, though. so far, i think all the changes have been good.

6. wfrussell macrumors newbie

just select the photo or photos you want changed, then select the Photos drop down menu, select adjust date and time, and you'll be set.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

many thanks.

8. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    and thanks to you for your above post.

I seem to be able to drag and drop/combine events no problem...I just can't type in the text field when I double click the "unnamed event" or whatever the default name is for events.

I'm sure I'll figure it out, but the fact that it didn't "just work" is concerning me....

i seem to be the only one with this issue, so i must be doing something wrong.

I still need to to put the new iPhoto on my PPC so we'll see how event editing goes on that machine...

anyone else having issues with naming their events in iPhoto?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I was unable to drag anything around in iPhoto '08 (i.e. event into another event, or manually rearrange picture order in an Album). Rebooting fixed that for me.

10. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I'm having the same issue. If I try to edit nothing happens.

Another note, if I open an event and try to edit the name at the top of the window I get an error ding when I try to type in the white text box.

11. JohnWilliams713 macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem.

Powerbook G4 1.5ghz
    iPhoto 7.0.1

12. buckact macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue as well, however I have found a workaround that has worked for me.

1. Go to the Events page of the Library and open the information pane.

2. Single-click the Event that you want to change the name for.

3. The name will show up in the information pane and you can edit it there.

4. Once you have changed the name double-click the event to open it. (I had to do this or else the name would change back)

That's it. I'm hoping that Apple will patch this as it is clearly an issue for some people.

13. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Awesome, thanks for the workaround. I've been cursing at iPhoto '08 for a couple days now because I couldn't type anything in the event name field. Apple really needs to fix that.

14. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Does anyone else think events (however useful) is not that big of a feature. Previous iPhoto's had "rolls" which is basically the same thing. Only difference is events now have a front end.

Dont get me wrong, im using events for everything now too but surely its just a minor programming upgrade rather that a huge technical leap forward.

15. maximus1323 macrumors newbie

16. maximus1323 macrumors newbie

Where is the "Brightness" adjustment????

I have just noticed this and I am puzzled. When going to edit and then "adjust" what the hell happened to the brightness slider?? Am I retarded or this is just weird?

Can anyone figure out an answer to this?

17. youngestchild macrumors regular

someone with '08 running, can you answer me this... is all the photo information in yr '06 library coming across? and does everyone have blank 'event' titles or is there a field from '06 that populates that field in '08?

i've got a new imac on order and want to get a head start on fixing up my iphoto library...

thanks.

18. rmwimpee macrumors newbie

All the info in my library is coming across (photo names, etc), but perhaps too well: in my Pictures folder (hard drive > Pictures > iPhoto Library) there are still roll numbers. iPhoto 08 is no longer showing any roll number info (events only), so it's difficult to locate a specific photo. Sorting by date is an option, but several rolls could have the same date.

RE: "brightness" slider: If I'm not mistaken, the slider called "exposure" performs the same function.

19. ih2okatcher macrumors newbie

Hi ... I'm having the same problem with changing event names. I click once in the event name box, it turns white but wouldn't let me change the name.

I tried to follow your instructions to fix it, but dont know where the "information pane" is. Help! Thanks.

20. mark476p macrumors newbie

Is it possible to change the background color in the Events section? I'd rather have white than black. I know this is possible for other iPhoto sections.

21. rittchard macrumors 6502

Information pane is in the bottom left corner, click the little "i" with a circle button.

I was having the same problem, thx for the workaround!

22. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

Brightness adjustment

The brightness adjustment was pretty crappy, at best. It appears to have been changed to adjusting shadow and highlights separately much, MUCH better! No more blowing the highlights out trying to get some detail out of the shadows.

23. mediter macrumors newbie

Your solution worked. But it bugs me that the Events Name, date, no. of photos inside are kinda of bumping into the Event Cover.

[​IMG]

24. radiojef macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I had the very same problem...but it seems like it started after I installed the updates you get when you first start a brand new imac. I got my new imac yesterday and iphoto was allowing me to change the event names right there at the events...or in the event title when viewing an event. Then I installed all the preliminary updates and rebooted and it just gives me an un-editable white box. Its gotta be a bug. I want the other way back apple!

25. ricosuave macrumors 6502

ricosuave

Thank you to all for the event's naming solution. I thought I had a bug with the new iPhoto when in fact it's within this new keyboard.

I found another bug in the keyboard...

Can anyone see if they are able to type the : key when saving-as files? I keep getting a - dash instead.

Also I cannot get the magnification to work now.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: What I mean by new keyboard is Apple's new slim keyboard which I just picked up today. I finally have a keyboard that matches my mac! Also, by magnification, I mean in the dock preferences.