iPhoto '08 Organizational Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mike016256, Aug 8, 2007.

1. mike016256 macrumors newbie

mike016256

Hello, I am a recent switcher who has not transferred my iPhoto library over to my Mac yet. I have a bunch of collections of pictures I saved from the internet at various times. If iPhoto goes through my library and auto creates events, would this not create hundreds of different events with only one photo in each event?

What is the solution? Thanks in advance.

-Mike

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I dont know for 100% certain, but if all those pics are within the same folder I'd think that folder would be considered 1 event.

3. mike016256 thread starter macrumors newbie

mike016256

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Just do a trial and see. Take a few of the pics and import to see what happens. Then take the same pics, put in 1 folder, and then import. If it doesnt come out like you want just send to trash.

I personally never used iPhoto before so I definitely am not speaking from experience. But I like alot of the new features in 08 so Im going to use it from now on.

5. mike016256 thread starter macrumors newbie

mike016256

So can I ask how you manage your photos? Do you use Aperture?

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Right now I drag and drop a folder onto iPhoto. It then creates a roll with the same name in its library. It is not that hard to merge or rename the rolls afterwards. It seems like events are just rolls with a representative picture for ease of browsing, so I guess it will behave similarly. Of course, I cannot be sure.

By the way, I have set my preferences such that it does not actually copy any of my files, but that forces me not to rename, delete (or possibly move) the originals. You can always set iPhoto to do actually copy your pictures and delete your initial folders once you are satisfied that it all works properly.

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Up to now, Ive just done it all folder based. I have a master pictures folder with sub-folders by year (2000, 01, 02, 03, etc) and sub-folders within that by month and day. I didnt use any photo managing suite. Just open whichever folder I wanted and browse.

8. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I wonder if you edit a photo does it copy over the origanl? I know there is a setting do import all your photos and copy, but that seems stupid since you will double your data volume. It would be nice to import your orignals and any changes made will place them into a seperate folder. That way your orignals are still intact and you have the edited verison.

9. macklos macrumors member

macklos

From what I've dealt with so far. It'll be a totally disasterous mess. I just upgraded and I ended up doing away with all Events auto created and manually created new ones. Thanks Apple for trying.:rolleyes: Oh and the iPhoto Library file is just one file now. So if you need to dig into your stuff manually you must ctrl/right click and choose Show Packages to see the hierarchy view as we had before. :rolleyes:

10. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Thats exactly what it does. Originals stay unchanged, it creates a copy when you edit it.

I didnt use iPhoto up to now. Personally I just didnt like the way the old one worked. Probably didnt give it enough of a chance, but I just never used it. This one, however, Im totally digging. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

11. Mekgek macrumors member

Is iPhoto 08 any faster then iPhoto 06 ??? I just hate how sluggish 06 is.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i'm assuming that the whole suite is lighter, seeing as the DVD weighs in around 3.8Gb from what i've heard, whereas 06 came in at almost 7Gb.

13. wfrussell macrumors newbie

same problem with events

My biggest problem with Events is that I can't delete an event without deleting the picture from my library.

Becasue iPhoto made a bunch of events for me that were not really events I now want to delete them, but when I do that the pictures are deleted from my library. Why can't I just manually control the events?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

14. kkachurak macrumors regular

Ditto.

15. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

you can merge them together and name it whatever you like.

16. wfrussell macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've merged events and split them.

But the problem is with the photos that were automatically named as an event that are NOT really an event. These are just random photos I took that I want in my Library and in an album - but not as an event, which iPhoto has deemed them to be. When I delete these unwanted events, iPhoto deletes the photos in the events from my Library. WTF!?

And that's a major flaw I think. So, that means when I import photos in the future, iPhoto will automatically make them an event - but what if I don't want them to be an event and I just want them in my Library or in an album?

Has anyone found a way to delete events without deleting the photos from the Library?

Thanks, again!

17. tilman macrumors regular

Just make a "None" event. Events in iPhoto '08 have replaced Folders from iPhoto '06. Each picture has to be in an event, and pictures cannot be in more than one event. It's similar to files in folders.

Moving pictures between folders was cumbersome in iPhoto '06, but with Events, it's very easy. Just flag all the pictures you want to have in "None", then go to your "None" event, and click on "Add flagged pictures". Empty events automatically disappear.

18. wfrussell macrumors newbie

Great! I'll give this a try, thanks for the help!

Quick clarification, when you say make a "None" event, do you mean just to make a new event and label it "None"? If so, does this mean I'll have an event labled None with a bunch of photos in it?

19. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't think you have to have an Event for every picture in your library. in the source pane, you have Events and Photos. so doesn't that imply that you can have a photo in the library that doesn't necessarily belong to an Event?

with regard to the OP's concern, i think you WILL have a bunch of different events if you import a bunch of pictures from random places on the Internet. it shouldn't be hard to combine them to one event, though, if you choose.

iPhoto - more than any other iLife app - forces people to drop their Windows-style organization habits. import your photos to iPhoto and don't worry about the files. forget that you had stuff sorted into folders before - now you'll have them sorted into events and albums (whichever, or both, if you want). like moving anything from place A to place B, it's not the easiest task, but it's not the most painstaking, either. i think you'll appreciate the ease of use of iPhoto's new sorting mechanisms.

20. Mekgek macrumors member

I have installed iPhoto 08 now.

Hated iPhoto ' 06, Love iPhoto '08

It seems faster, and organizing is much more intuitive with the events structure. Also no problems whatsoever with porting the library to the new version.

21. pyn macrumors member

Urgh... I hope this is addressed in an update :mad: grumble grumble

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You've obviously never used iPhoto '05.... iPhoto '06 feels like someone strapped a jet engine to it compared with '05.

23. Mekgek macrumors member

Hehe, indeed I haven't used that one.

Still I wonder why iPhoto is so slow (though 08 is pretty fast now), I have used Picasa on windows XP before on a very very old PC. And it was much much much faster then iPhoto on my new mac.

Especially just opening a photo with double click, it doesn't take that long to load but even a small delay is annoying. In Picasa photo's opened instantatious, in iPhoto there always seemed to be a short delay.
    However they have fixed that, if you now click a photo in iPhoto '08 it opens instantly as well without any real noticable delay.

Another thing that annoyed me with iPhoto is shutting down the program, why does this sometimes take several seconds....... How hard can shutting down a program be. I have the feeling that if iPhoto was programmed more efficiently it could be 3 or 4 times faster.

24. wngraham macrumors regular

After initially installing iLife '08 I had almost 300 events, many of them completely random with 1 or 2 pics in each. I just chose all of them, selected "Merge", then manually created my own.

I created actual events I wanted, sorted photos into those, then put the rest in "None".

25. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I don't see it as a problem myself, so I can't see why (or how) they'd fix this. Pictures I can't classify I'm just dropping into a folder called 'Misc' and that does the trick for me!