Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
First of all, iPhoto ’11 is incredibly slow. Okay, the performance of Places and Faces is better than iPhoto ’09 – though clicking on a location or face still sends iPhoto into another spinning beach ball frenzy, with no escape; but the thought of waiting ages and ages just to watch a slideshow, make a card, or make a book simply means that it isn’t something I’d do very often.

And yes, I am running iPhoto on a pokey 2006-era Core Duo MacBook Pro, with just 2 GB of RAM; and yes, I do have some 55,000 photos (37 GB) in the Photo Library. But that’s no excuse for the poor performance of iPhoto – if iTunes can successfully manage 15 days (40 GB) of music plus another 13 GB of films (and then some) without grinding to a complete halt, why can’t iPhoto?

I agree....I'm on a 2006 Mac Pro with 11GB of RAM. My library is 103 GB.....and the new iPhoto is slow. What's sad is 2 hours earlier.....everything worked fine....same photos, same machine.....just using iPhoto '09.

-Kevin

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Performance is very important for me and I chose Aperture for managing my library of photos.

I tried iPhoto and Picasa before and the cpu spikes (I use smc fan control to see it) when you browse the libraries. That's bad when you use a laptop.

Aperture is the easier on the cpu and being a professional app, Apple seems to take more care than iPhoto. Oh, and it's 64bit.

:mad::mad::mad:This is a really, really bad update.:mad::mad::mad:

Many good features from previous versions are now gone.

It is so full of bugs it is inexcusable - examples - you can't zoom-in with keyboard shortcuts (and they've removed the zoom slider...) and you can't view two or more images side-by-side to compare. You can only open one at a time. Useless for editing basically.

They have just dumbed it down & ramped up the cute factor.
It is like a free ap' where you have to pay to upgrade or unlock the features...
Maybe that's the point.
They have intentionally made iPhoto crap to get people over to Aperture.

I am just starting the lengthy & risky process of trying to revert to iPhoto '09.
Wish me luck...

Macduder

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
:mad::mad::mad:This is a really, really bad update.:mad::mad::mad:

Many good features from previous versions are now gone.

It is so full of bugs it is inexcusable - examples - you can't zoom-in with keyboard shortcuts (and they've removed the zoom slider...) and you can't view two or more images side-by-side to compare. You can only open one at a time. Useless for editing basically.

They have just dumbed it down & ramped up the cute factor.
It is like a free ap' where you have to pay to upgrade or unlock the features...
Maybe that's the point.
They have intentionally made iPhoto crap to get people over to Aperture.

I am just starting the lengthy & risky process of trying to revert to iPhoto '09.
Wish me luck...

you can still view two or more images side by side while editing. they didn’t get rid of that.

open a photo.

go to edit mode
then go to the lower bar with other photos and hold CMD and click the other photos.

this is how I did it with iphoto 09 and it still works with iphoto 11.

your conspiracy ******** about them making it crap on purpose makes me think you’re an immature child. grow up.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
While I agree that yes, it's buggy (it crashed within 2 mins while checking out Photo print prices) we had the same if not worse experience with Aperture.

Aperture was updated within a week or two and has since been stellar.

While I can understand your frustration, this happens every time a new software release is put out. Fear not, an update will fix these issues and don't forget to submit bugs! :apple:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info! I'm happy with '09.

I'm using '09 too, I think it's about time I stop updating my mac. The new iTunes sucks, it sounds like iPhoto does too. I don't feel like Lion will bring any compelling reason to upgrade from Leopard...

I think my macbook pro's reached the end of its' useful life, as far as software upgrades go!

you can still view two or more images side by side while editing. they didn’t get rid of that.

open a photo.

go to edit mode
then go to the lower bar with other photos and hold CMD and click the other photos.

Really? Well that no longer works in '11 for me. Neither does zooming and as they've removed the zoom bar you have no way to really compare images.
The ap' is a dog, it's been dumbed-down & had very good features removed. If all you do is send your pics to Facebook or attach them to e-mail I'm sure you'll find it's just great.

your conspiracy ******** about them making it crap on purpose makes me think you’re an immature child. grow up.
I beg your pardon?
Who invited the troll?

snuffeltje

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
Damm!

it really sucks now! i was just about to really throw Iphoto out of the window because of the lack of uploading straight into other websites with an uploader that can browse in the pictures, now i can not even blog to blogger.com while sending a simple email. I get all this ****** email templates that are not reconized by blogspot from google. I won't even find my send email in my sent mail box from the mail client from my mac.
On top of that, picassa now seems not to see any new photo's i have imported into Ilife 11, so i can't even use that anymore.
what a bummer, is this because i got the torrent and free "trial" of Ilife 11 ??
missing the good old windows view finder to locate my pictures and upload them straigth to anywhere i want....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

open a photo.

go to edit mode

That's NOT how it worked in iPhoto '09. In iPhoto '09 you could compare photos on a completely clean full screen. In iPhoto '11, you have two toolbars on the top and bottom of the screen AND you have to have the giant sidebar visible.

c23roo

macrumors regular
May 29, 2004
I agree....I'm on a 2006 Mac Pro with 11GB of RAM. My library is 103 GB.....and the new iPhoto is slow. What's sad is 2 hours earlier.....everything worked fine....same photos, same machine.....just using iPhoto '09.

-Kevin

... making me very wary of upgrading to iPhoto 11.
Also on an '06 MacPro (5GB RAM on its way to 9). About to take the iLife 11 plunge but this gives me pause. BTW my iPhoto library is over 500 GB (150,000+ pix & short video clips). Can't imagine how long that would take to process...

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
That's NOT how it worked in iPhoto '09. In iPhoto '09 you could compare photos on a completely clean full screen. In iPhoto '11, you have two toolbars on the top and bottom of the screen AND you have to have the giant sidebar visible.

You should have upgraded to iPhoto '10. That's the best of the lot, there are no issues whatsoever, apart from availability.

eudaimonia01

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I couldn't stand being miserable with iPhoto '11 any longer. I officially switched back to iPhoto '09 and it wasn't too difficult either. Just retrieve the '09 application from time machine and then download iPhoto Library Manager. Then hit File > Rebuild Library.

Voila! Throw your rebuild library into iPhoto '09 and everything is back to normal. It's like the nightmare never happened.

Cinab1mt

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
This could be a minor issue that I dont know how to resolve with my own skills however, now I cant even copy my library to create a back up file?

Sure I can export my library to an external, but then it just throws all the files into a folder with no organization whatsoever. I could copy my entire library all the time with 09'. Yes I have a time machine backup but my pictures are very important to me, as they are with many people so I like to create a few different backups. I keep getting "error -36". Anyone able to help me out?

maybe I shouldnt have upgraded either.. :(

Cinab1mt

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Anyone else getting this error? Simply trying to copy entire Iphoto library to an external? Any help or insight would be great!

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
OK, I'm really not digging the new full screen mode. Anyone figure out a way to kill the toolbars and edit sidebar? I want to be able to zoom into my photos without a stupid editing sidebar taking up a quarter of my MacBook's screen. Argh. :mad:

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
This could be a minor issue that I dont know how to resolve with my own skills however, now I cant even copy my library to create a back up file?

Sure I can export my library to an external, but then it just throws all the files into a folder with no organization whatsoever. I could copy my entire library all the time with 09'. Yes I have a time machine backup but my pictures are very important to me, as they are with many people so I like to create a few different backups. I keep getting "error -36". Anyone able to help me out?

maybe I shouldnt have upgraded either.. :(

I just got that too. I tried doing a drag-and-drop backup to another drive and got that error. I'm trying a Time Machine backup right now.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Yep, Apple is an iGadget company now. I stopped using version x.0 software since iPhoto '08 because in my experience it's been alpha-ware. I don't even trust their OS updates now-a-days since 10.5.7.

*SIGH* This unfounded argument again. I'm sorry but how does multiple updates and events for computers per year verses 1 event (for iPods since the iPhones event is done at WWDC) imply that Apple is iDevices only?

I don't think most people realize that iDevices pull people into buying Mac computers. It did me.

harmonica01

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
Yes, iPhoto is incredibly slow, and I'm on a 2.66 i7 MBP! It take a good 30 seconds to launch and is very slow scrolling and moving between sections.

Adding a new place and geotagging is incredibly fiddley and time consuming.

I do like full screen though.

It was about 6 weeks until we got a X.0.1 release last time, I hope it's not as long this time.

2.66 i7 mbp here as well, iphoto loads with library of 7.8 gig in 6 seconds. You may have something amiss with your computer =/

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I upgraded from iLife '08 a few days ago and just noticed the folder structure change. It would've been fine if I used only iPhoto but I use Lightroom as well. I import the internal iPhoto folders into Lightroom and until now it's been fairly easy to browse the same photos in two applications.

I think I'm going to downgrade to iPhoto '08 for the time being, unless someone has better ideas. It's a good thing I've got a backup.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Beware: If you like iPhoto '09 you may hate '11

I jumped in as usual, always keen to try out new features. Beware, if like me you are basically an Aperture customer but could not face learning a pro app, you may lose features you like (I'm an experienced FCP user and I just don't get why I seem to have to start from scratch when trying to use Aperture or Logic - there seems to be far less consistency than you'd expect).

iPhoto '09 has always offered me enough power features like being to edit full screen, with whatever selection of info, navigation, thumbnails and edit panels open I wanted. A bit more speed would have been nice, but ultimately things worked well enough.

The new 'full screen' in '11 is a big step backwards if you made use of the features I mentioned above. In fact viewing your photos full screen is one of several things you can't now do! With a few clicks, you can get rid of some of the wasted screen space, like the new buttons for crop, retouch, etc, which now take up a quarter of the screen instead of sitting discreetly at the bottom. But ultimately your photo will always be surrounded by unfamiliar interface elements and you can only zoom in if you are in the 'Full Screen' mode where your photo takes up about half of your screen.

If you found it useful to see the file size, etc in the wee panel in the bottom left corner of normal window view while flicking through thumbnails or quick previews, you're going to have to bring up the new info panel on the right, thus reducing the size of your useful view considerably. And iPhoto will put Face information on your preview (no way to turn this off?) with the info panel open.

"You can now live in full screen" said SJ. No, because you're going to need access to the dock a lot more in order to drag photos to the apps you'll need. Also, I really don't want my MBP to look and behave like a slow iPad. Yes most common operations seem clunkier than iPhoto '09.

The new contextual menus and giant tooltips have a Vista-like blurring of the underlying content as they fade away. It catches your eye and serves no purpose. Are Apple seriously copying the things that turned me off Windows now? I don't find these new menus very readable against the dark full screen view by the way.

Also, does anyone know what the 'Informational Overlays' in organise view are? I've tried turning them on and off in the preferences, thinking it might speed up and de-clutter the thumbnails, but this isn't it.

Sorry for the lengthy rant.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Just to add to those that are berating the new email feature...

I used to use this a lot, often smugly when someone asked for a copy of a photo. It would often be sending before they had finished their request!

I tried the '11 version. Firstly it is now two clicks to bring up the clunky new email interface (it's like OS X has suddenly been replaced with Java or something). Then you can't select from the four size options any more. If you send multiple photos you can have them sent as attachments but they'll turn up in a zipped file, so when the recipient clicks 'add to iphoto' in Mail.app they'll just get the kooky HTML rendered image, complete with uneven margin around it and zero useful information. As someone else said, your sent email won't appear in your 'sent' box.

SJ said it was easier than going into Mail.app. Really? When I was asked for my authenticated SMTP password (which I entered once about 4 years ago) I certainly didn't find that easy.

I already use Automator scripts to send resized photos to mail so I am hopeful that I can create a script that will return the functionality without having to resort to the rather clumsy drag-photos-to-Mail-dock-icon method (which works fine thankfully).

Tankfantry

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Houston, Texas
Has the been any press release on whether they will release a patch? I have iLife '11 sitting on my computer I just haven't installed it yet. From the sounds of it I plan on waiting or not doing it at all.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
And iPhoto will put Face information on your preview (no way to turn this off?) with the info panel open.

Just worked out you can turn off the face overlays by clicking the oversized button in the info-quarter-of-the-screen. Phew. Interesting to see a novel use of flippy triangles on the Faces and Keywords buttons, different to the way they are used on the other side of the screen. iLife and iTunes - they are like playgrounds for OS X designers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.