Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Anyone else getting this error? Simply trying to copy entire Iphoto library to an external? Any help or insight would be great!

I'm getting it also, anyone else figure out how to copy the library? I was trying to copy my photo library to an external drive so I can have access to my photos from my mini. Getting an error every time. I tried repairing permissions but that did not fix anything.

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Has the been any press release on whether they will release a patch? I have iLife '11 sitting on my computer I just haven't installed it yet. From the sounds of it I plan on waiting or not doing it at all.

Sure they will release a patch, its just a matter of when.

Jason

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I'm currently in the process of downgrading to iPhoto 09. There's nothing in iPhoto '11 that I can't do without; about the only feature I'll miss is the fact that it can play video inline.

Something tells me I'll survive. :p

Now to recreate my events...

Lordedmond

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Tilchestune UK
iPhoto 11 has a massive memory leak.

if you press option and cmd at iPhoto boot and check the refresh thumbnails

I have a 19gig library at first i tried this with the iMac 17 as it came eg 4gig ram it ran out and started paging out to HD like crazy, I was intending to up the mem so in went another 8 gig to a total of 12 gig same thing happened

the app remained stead at 250 mb but the mem was slowly used up and ended up paging again.

after the process finished I shut down iPhoto but the mem was not released to other apps I have to shut down the iMac to get the mem back for use

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
iPhoto launches for me in one bounce on my 2.8ghz Dual core iMac, with 2GB of RAM.

I have a fairly large library, with over 20k photos and over 2k HD videos, totalling 145GB. iPhoto does feel very sticky, especially when compared to the previous version. I also have a Magic Mouse, but scrolling isn't smooth, it just judders over events, photos, and anything else it pleases to in big clunks. The only way I can get it to scroll smoothly is to drag the scrollbar. It's very annoying!

Hopefully a performance fix will be forthcoming.

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
Can someone confirm that there is no way to change the date of a photo. In '11, I can't seem to find a way, seems like in '09 you could just get info and change it there.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
It sounds like it's a lot like Aperture now. Aperture runs horribly on my brand new 27" iMac with 4GB of RAM. It really angers me actually. This thing runs slower than iPhoto did on my old G4.

seattle29

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
The Faces feature was fine before, but is now a joke.

iPhoto 09: All my photos were tagged correctly.

iPhoto 11: Has added "unconfirmed faces" to ALL of my photos where the faces were already identified (i.e. only 2 people in photo, 2 faces tagged correctly, now it tries to re-identify those 2 people and adds 2 boxes around the faces in the exact same locations).

It also throws up random and absurd suggestions. For myself, it identifies 200 photos where I could be located, with all sorts of crap suggestions (old grandparents, family dog, even a CHAIR is supposedly my face).

Does anyone else have this problem since upgrading? I'm really not impressed at all. The new folder structure is also appalling.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I will skip this update for now because it seems to be buggy for some people, slow on large libraries and lacks some functionality like true full screen view, standard e-mail export.

i was thinking about aperture for a while since my pictures are really important to me. maybe this is an evil plot of apple to make me spend more money and upgrade?

Lordedmond

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Tilchestune UK
I will skip this update for now because it seems to be buggy for some people, slow on large libraries and lacks some functionality like true full screen view, standard e-mail export.

i was thinking about aperture for a while since my pictures are really important to me. maybe this is an evil plot of apple to make me spend more money and upgrade?

Aperture 3 was worse that iPhoto 11 when it was released , as it was used by professionals there was loud and vociferous complaints which made the comments on iPhoto 11 pale in comparison

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
The Faces feature was fine before, but is now a joke.

iPhoto 09: All my photos were tagged correctly.

iPhoto 11: Has added "unconfirmed faces" to ALL of my photos where the faces were already identified (i.e. only 2 people in photo, 2 faces tagged correctly, now it tries to re-identify those 2 people and adds 2 boxes around the faces in the exact same locations).

It also throws up random and absurd suggestions. For myself, it identifies 200 photos where I could be located, with all sorts of crap suggestions (old grandparents, family dog, even a CHAIR is supposedly my face).

Does anyone else have this problem since upgrading? I'm really not impressed at all. The new folder structure is also appalling.

Bad luck. My Faces seem to be intact. Naming them has improved a bit, albeit with a bit of jumping from top to bottom due to the iPad-style button positions. Apple do know that most of use are still using keyboards and mice/trackpads right?

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Upgrade went fine for me today. I'm running Snow Leopard and I upgraded from iLife 09. I am not noticing any real slow downs with iPhoto either -- if anything its a bit faster than 09.

edit: my iPhoto library is around 30,000 photos (60+ gigs) and includes bunch of videos from various cameras and iphones. Everything transferred over fine. Also, my wife's books all converted fine.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
From the looks of it, the update is for iPhoto 09, not the 11. So the iPhoto 11 still sucks.

It's iPhoto version 9, which is iPhoto '11.

Not sure if it did anything other than fix the library deletion bug.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
It's iPhoto version 9, which is iPhoto '11.

Not sure if it did anything other than fix the library deletion bug.

Doubt it did anything else, since they are basically saying to make sure to update iPhoto BEFORE you update your older library.

This is not going to be the update to help with other issues.....just the upgrading issue.

Bring on 9.0.2 Apple to speed things up please!

-Kevin

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
More things I've come across...

...and more reasons for iPhoto 09 users to ponder before upgrading.

Reviewing photos has got a lot worse. There is no feedback when using keyboard shortcuts to set ratings in any of the viewing modes. I can't see the rating unless I have the giant info panel open. I can't do a quick crop without opening the giant button box. Solution: bring back the overlay feedback (is that setting in the preferences anything to do with this – it seems to have no effect) and/or bring back the mini info panel/HUD. (Please could we have the little info panel that used to sit at the bottom of the sidebar back. It showed really useful details (like file size, dimensions, rating) without taking up a quarter of my screen with buttons.)

Why do (the new style) tooltips appear when my mouse hovers over an album? All they do is repeat the name of the album in a different typeface, but about the same size. If they actually gave useful information, like the number of photos in a smart album (that was a useful feature by the way), then I could see a purpose. At the moment they are just irritatingly useless.

Could scrolling be less jerky? iPhoto seems to be losing all the visual style that made it fun and pleasurable to use. I had to turn off inertial scrolling because I just lost all control.

Glad to see you can now play video within iPhoto. It is a shame this messes with the Spacebar control over previews. For some reason, escape doesn't get me back to the thumbnails either. So my suggestion would be to make sure that the escape key works as expected and perhaps use a double tap on the space bar for the same effect. I'm planning to use a keyboard with my Mac for the time being, so please don't start to phase out keyboard support yet.

As I am not partially sighted, please could there be the option to use the old contextual menus? Stop the horrible blur fade you have going on with contextual menus and tooltips. You should make them fade like the dock menus, so that you don't really notice any cheesy effect. Also why are they in a new typeface? And at two different sizes (I prefer the small look in the edit mode by the way, and I also prefer they way these mirror the behaviour of other contextual menus with regard to their response to held right clicks)? Why not just stick to whatever flavour of OS X the user is using. Isn't that the point of a user interface? Sure, I don't mind progress – the new helvetica look will be cool, but right now it just jars against every other app I use. Even MS is trying hard to make Snow Leopard users feel at home – shouldn't Apple do the same?

Please bring back full screen. The 'quick fixes' pane is a shameful waste of space. Couldn't you put the Quick Fixes tab on the far right and make it dynamically size so the buttons aren't a quarter the width of my screen? Why have words as well as icons – you design good icons and the tooltips are there. Or even better, put all three of these into HUDs and have actual full screen. Why have you copied the nasty Photoshop Elements?

Why can't I zoom in full screen mode unless I have the edit panel open (which takes up a quarter of my screen!)?

The new 'carousel' viewer at the bottom is a bit odd. Surely it would be better if you could always see the next photo, rather than just a tiny bit of it (after advancing a slide or two)? Also, is there a reason for the quality of these previews being so low, especially at each end? Sometimes the expanded view ends up behind my main image which is weird. And with the scroll bar you've used at the bottom of the expanded carousel, that makes a total of three different scroll bars (that I've counted so far – iTunes blue, grey and thin translucent. Absolutely no way you could have just stuck with one?).

Should we be able to select an external editor for videos? When I try to open an video in an external editor I get a message saying the item can't be edited in iPhoto.

(Sent to Apple too. Sorry this list seems very negative - there are some good things about iPhoto 11. It seems faster to move between images. Book design seems smoother too. The new slideshows are neat. Videos play within iPhoto, even in slideshows. But ultimately iPhoto 11 does seem determined to push a proportion of users towards Aperture.)

llander

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
Problems / Questions with iPhoto 11 Upload to Facebook &

Upload to Facebook:

Photos organized with a "manual setting" (this seems to be new) in an iPhoto 11 album are automatically organized "chronologically" when the album is uploaded to Facebook instead of retaining the original order of the album. Frustrating because this negates the purpose of organizing photos in an album. Anyone know how to avoid this problem?

Titles of Photos:

How do you "batch" title photos? I could do this in iPhoto 9 but cannot figure out how to do it in iPhoto 11 (I finally figured out how to do places in this new version).

Anyone found a good text tutorial on the new iPhoto 11? I am really disappointed with Apple on this upgrade to iLife 11. Something is terribly amiss with their software development.

Lordedmond

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Tilchestune UK
Has anyone checked the metadata to see if its intact ?

mine is not I have lots of unknown lens comments and when I export to Aperture 3.1 the lens data is corrupt and the focus point data is missing

Canon 7d

thronborg

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Apple has entered the Kindergarten area!

Steve Jobs, your staff and the young guys have really messed it up for you. For heaven sake take control of your company. This start to look like a kindergarten. FIRE THEM!

This is nothing else like playing around with people that seriously work with their computers. If you want to play do it with iPad, or a new iKid.

OSX10.6 and now iPhoto11 both sucks, i agree.

Of course i upgraded before the fix. And yes its my own fault, i should have known that now a days if you own a mac you must ALWAYS have a backup in you pocket. And now i am in Asia and my backup in Sweden.

Iphoto11 What can i say.
Actually no new features but you have taken away some.
Email was great when I could choose how big and format of the pictures before send them by mail. Now i cant. And if i send a mail it newer show up as sent i mail.

Mr. Ole:mad:
Yes i am very upset. (At the moment)

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Newly-spotted annoyance

I subscribe to photo feeds quite often and the info panel at the bottom of the sidebar used to provide useful details like dimensions and file size.

OK, so I thought now I have to open the big-ass info acre, but all I get is "This photo was downloaded form a photo subscription". So now, despite taking up a quarter of my screen, I get zero information about these photos.

Another step backwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.