Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret looks at iPhoto 2.0 with screenshots.
By popular request from readers -- after all, not everyone got a chance to experiment with the new iLife software first-hand at Macworld -- we've compiled some notes and screenshots from working with the new apps. Here's part one, a preview of iPhoto 2.

iPhoto 2.0 will be available as a free download on Jan 25th, 2003.

(Note: For some screenshots, a different appearance theme was used on the test computer, so the design scheme of dialog boxes and windows will vary.)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I know someone who has downloaded iPhoto 2 tonight and reported that the photo touch up was weak. This is no surprise, as features such as this are often over generalized. Really, if you try to simplify a set of functions too much you find that they become decreasingly effective. This should be no surprise, but he stated that the app was otherwise worth the upgrade.

Dan

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I've had this for a few days now and the touch up is very nice, I've also posted a thread on MR and Funmac with a few screenshots, not as detailed as the ones thinksecret is offering, but I had them first :)

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
??

What's up with the windows, radio buttons and drop-down menus? Is that a new UI? :confused:

preferences.gif

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's a theme that the person had on their computer. It is NOT an Apple theme.

(Note: For some screenshots, a different appearance theme was used on the test computer, so the design scheme of dialog boxes and windows will vary.)

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
The theme is named

Alumite X and you can find it on Themeworld.

I used it for a long time until Maggra X came out (the best theme for a TiBook, IMHO).

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,010

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by dsamsa
Do those themes make the GUI move any faster or slower? Kuz, damn, my old G3 hates to run OSX quickly. It takes it's time at 500Mhz...

You may want to try the shadowkiller available at http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shadowkiller/

Lots of nice interface additions available there. Windowshade, colored labels, etc. Some free, some $7.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: iPhoto 2.0 - First Look

Originally posted by Macrumors
iPhoto 2.0 will be available as a free download on Jan 25th, 2003.

Free download, huh? I thought it was only going to be available via the iLife CD's... is there a benefit of getting it with iLife? Maybe the downloadable copy doesn't integrate as well? Just a thought.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: Re: iPhoto 2.0 - First Look

Originally posted by Billicus

Free download, huh? I thought it was only going to be available via the iLife CD's... is there a benefit of getting it with iLife? Maybe the downloadable copy doesn't integrate as well? Just a thought.

Pay more attention to Steve :D iMovie 3 and iPhoto 2 will be available for free download.. and of course iTunes 3. But since iDVD is too big for download (over a gig), and they have to sell it, Apple decided to sell the whole pack for $45. So you're actaully just paying for iDVD and the extra nice boxed wrapping and stuff for the other 3 apps when you buy iLife.

irmongoose

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I just hope iPhoto will feature now a good file management, like iTunes, instead of duplicating or tripling imported files into its own folder. I dont like my 3000 pictures take up more than double of the current HD space.

If that issaue wouldn´t be, I´d use iPhoto. But else there is Image Capture and Graphic Converter...

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Re: Re: Re: iPhoto 2.0 - First Look

Originally posted by irmongoose

Pay more attention to Steve :D iMovie 3 and iPhoto 2 will be available for free download.. and of course iTunes 3. But since iDVD is too big for download (over a gig), and they have to sell it, Apple decided to sell the whole pack for $45. So you're actaully just paying for iDVD and the extra nice boxed wrapping and stuff for the other 3 apps when you buy iLife.

irmongoose

The apple iPhoto2 website is kinda vague...

"Coming on January 25
Pre-order iLife for $49.00. The package includes iTunes 3, iPhoto 2, iMovie 3 and iDVD 3 on a two disc CD and DVD-ROM set.
Downloads will be available for iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3.
Get iTunes 3 today."

Sounds to me like you'll have to pay your 49 bucks, but you'll be able to immediately download the other 3 and you'll have to wait for iDVD to come in the mail.

A gig isn't that big for me to download on DSL. I downloaded all the free FreePlay mp3s that come with .mac and it filled up 3 CD-Roms.

A gig for me is roughly 2.5 hours. Still a lot faster than USPS! :)

JakeWalker

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Boston
only iDVD costs money!!!!

Sounds to me like you'll have to pay your 49 bucks, but you'll be able to immediately download the other 3 and you'll have to wait for iDVD to come in the mail.

Get it right people -- you won't have to pay to get iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3. The only time you'll have to pay is if you want iDVD, in which case, you'll be given a CD with the entire iLife suite on it for $49. No need for iDVD? Then you'll get EVERYTHING ELSE iLife has to offer (nothing dumbed down, nothing missing, total integration)... just no iDVD. It was totally clear that this is the case in the keynote, in interviews, and online.

prewwii

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2001
Gulf area Alabama
I just hope iPhoto will feature now a good file management

File management is what keeps me from using iPhoto. I have thousand of photos that I would like to organize by year, location, subject and level of alterations completed. I can do this with Camedia 2.5 (Camedia 4.x is a waste of time for other reasons) because it uses the OS file structure. That makes sense, why invent the wheel again and end up with a stone one?

I would also like to use iPhoto as the source for sending pictures in the emailer of my choice. Which it can do in a Rube Goldberg fashion. This is an Apple product we can expect elegance. Make using pictures with other than Apple products seemless. What's the big deal? Apple needs to play nice with others. If nothing else enable copy and paste. Just don't hold me hostage because I am using an Apple product.

That's my story and I am sticking to it...

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: iPhoto 2.0 - First Look

Originally posted by bretm

"Coming on January 25
Pre-order iLife for $49.00. The package includes iTunes 3, iPhoto 2, iMovie 3 and iDVD 3 on a two disc CD and DVD-ROM set.
Get iTunes 3 today."
I don't see how that is vague. You can buy the iLife suite on CD for $49. You will be able to download iPhoto and iMovie. You can currently download iTunes.

You're reading things that aren't there. Jobs' keynote specifically said that iPhoto and iMovie would be free downloads. He specifically said that if you want iDVD, you can purchase it from Apple, and the other iLife apps will be on the CD as well so that you don't have to download anything.

A gig isn't that big for me to download on DSL. I downloaded all the free FreePlay mp3s that come with .mac and it filled up 3 CD-Roms.

A gig of highly-demanded data is a big deal (and expensive) to host. If Apple were to offer iDVD (any figures on how big it actually is? I mean, a CD and a DVD-ROM of data? That's a lot of bytes!) then your download time would be more like 8-10 hours per Gig, dropouts likely (ever tried downloading a flavor of Linux?). That's not a good user experience, and even at that, it's damned expensive for a company to offer. The worst part is that many users would try again and again to get it, getting maybe half of it at a time, then give up and in disgust pay for the CD. This pattern also wreaks havoc with licensing issues if Apple has any per-copy licensing in their various themes and stock graphics/clips.

Plus, iDVD looks to have been a significant amount of work to put together, and keeping iDVD up to date has never been free, so I can understand Apple not offering it as a free download.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: only iDVD costs money!!!!

Originally posted by JakeWalker

Get it right people -- you won't have to pay to get iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3. The only time you'll have to pay is if you want iDVD, in which case, you'll be given a CD with the entire iLife suite on it for $49. No need for iDVD? Then you'll get EVERYTHING ELSE iLife has to offer (nothing dumbed down, nothing missing, total integration)... just no iDVD. It was totally clear that this is the case in the keynote, in interviews, and online.

Exactly. And, also note that all four apps will be included with any new Mac purchase. It's just updating iDVD that you'll have to pay for.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: Re: Re: iPhoto 2.0 - First Look

Originally posted by irmongoose

irmongoose

I guess I missed that part. :D

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
New Macs

Is it safe to assume that new Macs shipped after say mid February will include all the latest package? I will be getting a 17" FP iMac around then so it would be nice to save the $49.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Yes. Steve said they would include iLife with all new computers they ship. If you buy one after January 7th without iLife, then you can obtain it for free.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
5mp's is a pain to iPhoto

I have been using iPhoto to organize work photos taken from my 5 mega-pixel camera and I must tell you it takes its time, even on a dual 1gHz.

The buring of CD's directly from the app is great feature (saw that at MWSF '03) too.

----

I would love it if Apple could let us download the new version of iDVD 3 and really test the power of our broadband connections! (It is somewhere over a gig)

Xerov

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2003
Nederland
Just buy it.

Everyone here can afford a $49 to get some cool stuff and most importantly support apple.

I dont even need iDVD (no DVD burner) and I plan on buying iLife.

Plus you get a cool box and CDs!

so...go order it now...http://store.apple.com

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Different UI

Originally posted by arn
It's a theme that the person had on their computer. It is NOT an Apple theme.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if iPhoto 2 was displaying a new Apple interface. I like the bar at the top, but the rest of the UI was a little too grey/gray for me.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Re: Re: iPhoto 2.0 - First Look

Originally posted by bretm

"Coming on January 25
Get iTunes 3 today."

Imagine how much of Apple's bandwidth it would take if thousands of users downloaded it. That would be far too expensive for Apple to cope with

atodd

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
between yourself
Hmmm

Well, I've got iPhoto 2 anyway.

So meh. All I need now is iMovie 3 (it's been a looooong time coming). Also a new v of iTunes to make my new 20gig iPod even better (c'mon Apple, you can do it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.