iPhoto - storage options?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by temtexdent, Feb 27, 2009.

1. temtexdent macrumors member

OK, maybe I'm a little lost here, but can I get iPhoto to work off and save to some sort of NAS drive or does it have to be on the Mac in use. I've got MobileMe...guess I could just save there for joint use, but... Bottom line: how do you get iPhoto to save its library off of the computer and somewhere else?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

External drive?

Others with more knowledge will no doubt chime in, but while it's possible to use an NAS for iPhoto storage there are apparently problems with doing so in terms of data loss if you have drops in the network while processing photos. And not just where you lose your changes, but where it corrupts the database.

What is your goal? To be able to access an iphoto database, including editing rights, from multiple computers?

3. temtexdent thread starter macrumors member

That would be the goal...and not to store the entire library on the laptop, but rather a centralized server...

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

When iPhoto is closed, you simply use Finder to move the iPhoto library file (normally in your "Pictures" folder) to wherever you want it to be. Then next time you open iPhoto, hold down the OPTION key, chose Locate Library, and point it to wherever you moved the file.

5. pubjoe macrumors 6502

Yes, that's what I did. Also, don't forget to bring up the file info box and add sharing and permissions to everyone that will use it (if that's necessary). ...That might sound obvious, but it took me ages to work out how more than one user/computer could share the same iphoto library.

6. temtexdent thread starter macrumors member

OK, sounds good...I think that is what I am looking for...and just to be overly redundant, that COULD be on a server or NAS? I assume yes, from your multiple computer comment. Thanks.