iPhoto vs. Picasa?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Which is the better photo manager and why? Before i jump ship, I want to know which is better, so I don't want to have to redo albums, ratings, comments, and the like when I'm already using a program.

2. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Picasa is better in many ways, but its Windows only, so you're out of luck ;)

3. MacRohde macrumors regular

MacRohde

It very much depend on taste. I like iPhoto more than I do Picasa (though Picasa is great no doubt).

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I prefer Lightroom. :D Out of Picasa and iPhoto, I like how Picasa watches the folders you tell it to and just generates preview out of that, as I organise my photo's in a folder structure myself and hate having to keep reorganising iPhoto.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

they dont support same platform, so whats the reason for compare? I prefer picasa (win/lin), but practically, I don't use neither of them. too slow

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Picasa's about a million times better then iPhoto, but it's XP/Vista only =\

Maybe I'll have to switch back :p

7. lamadude macrumors 6502

I prefer picasa as well, it's the biggest thing I miss from the windows world. I run it in crossover now, works pretty well, but why won't google port it over to the mac?

8. uNext macrumors 6502

Picasa over iphoto.

That is 1 windows program that is worth having...
    I been using picasa since the days where it use to cost 29.99.

Iphoto is good but cant really compete with picasa. Too bad is only for windows

9. brandon6684 Guest

I'd just say iPhoto mostly because it's the one I use the most, and even then my photo management needs are rather rudimentery.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Really?

11. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Another Picasa vote here. I love that program.

12. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Me too. I remember when Google acquired it and I thought, dang, I payed for that and now everyone gets it for free. You don't know how many people I have recommended Picasa to. They should make a Mac version for sure. I use iPhoto and Aperture but really liked the simple organization of photos that Picasa used.

13. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

I think the Picasa presentation is better and like others like the fact that it's really just a window on my images where as iPhoto try's to be a manager.

That said I like iPhoto's interaction with the rest of MAC OS X and as a convert I am getting used to it.

Either way I like FREE so ......:D

14. PmattF macrumors member

How about now, with iPhoto 08?

This thread was started before iPhoto 08 was out. I agree 1000% about Picasa being superior to iPhoto 6. But I have not tried the new iPhoto yet. For those of you who have, what do you think -- has iPhoto finally caught up to Picasa, or is the latter still the better program?

15. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I still don't think it really matters 100% since they'd still be different and Picasa is Windows only, but the way Picasa just grabs the photos from folders you designated for it to watch is nice. But that being said, I still use Lightroom no matter where I am.

16. emegmac macrumors regular

I prefer iphoto08. It took a while to get used to how iphoto manages my photo but once I figured it out, compared to picasa. I love the events view in iphoto. I know they are just film rolls, but the new view is so useful. I have 7500 photos divided into 140 events. Its so easy to find my photos this way. Also being able to play slideshows with ken burns, and also stream it to the :apple:tv, and play it on front row, there really is not a comparison. You people either like to complain or are afraid to really give iphoto a chance. It integrates with OSX so well. From importing to/from email and photobooth to using .mac web galleries.

17. BamaDMD macrumors member

BamaDMD

iPhoto 08 is the bee's knee's.

I like it better than aperature too (have both, wish I hadn't purchased aperature (but that was before i08)

18. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I've only every used iPhoto since I came to the Mac before Picasa really came onto the scene. That said, I've known people who love it on Windows and actually hesitate to move to a Mac because of it not being available. When I show off iPhoto, however, most everyone agrees that they wouldn't exactly be trading down.

If it matters, the Picasa Web Album feature on the Mac lives inside iPhoto as a true plugin.

19. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Too bad the Picasa-plugin doesn't work in iPhoto 7 yet.

20. askywalker macrumors regular

Do you mean iPhoto 8? I am a Mac noob - been using iPhoto 08 for about 9 days now. I love some things - but do find myself really longing for Picasa.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems every time I add photos I am spending too much time thinking about event names and such... I haven't gotten 'home' since purchasing this Mac, so I haven't hooked iPhoto into my actual photo collection (about 45,000 photos spanning the last 8 years since my first digicam). I really doubt that I will be able to continue using iPhoto - but I have another 2 weeks traveling to keep checking it out...

Questions about file locations, shrinking photos, full-size gallery images are still bugging me about iPhoto. I find the look of the gallery on .Mac usually gets people to 'WOW' when they first see it, but at least my close family and friends prefer the Picasa gallery for full screen slideshows and simple navigation. Both are dead easy to share in their respective galleries - but Picasa makes it much more obvious about what is going on (ie: shrinking the photos or uploading originals, changing the order/adding and deleting etc..)

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

iPhoto version 7 is iPhoto '08 :)

22. askywalker macrumors regular

How about that! Pretty strange. I found it hard to believe, but sure enough my iPhoto '08 is version 7.02 (341). Does this make sense to everyone else?

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

iPhoto....for me atleast. Its tied into OS X well, syncs with my iPhone, iPods nicely too.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, because it's not iPhoto '08, it's iPhoto 7 which is a part of iLife '08.

25. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

picassa is an iphoto ripoff ... but to each its own. i like them both :D