Ipod 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lukeyyyyy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. lukeyyyyy macrumors newbie

When do you think support for the 2nd generation Ipod touch will end?

I am currently wondering If I should upgrade to a 4g, or perhaps it will last me until I get an iphone 5 next year as I am due to an upgrade my blakcberry june next year.

I do use my 2g a lot, playing games such as Modern combat 2, reckless racing and lots lots more, it plays these flawlessly, and is a great tool to browse the web on, and the capacity is fine

However recently there are games out which I would like to buy, such as Rage and of course preview the epic citadel (unreal engine) which the first game using this engine "project sword" will be released next month. being a 2nd gen I am unable to obtain these and I can only presume over the next 7months the list will grow larger and larger.

I find the batterly life reasonable, about 2hours of 3d intense games, is the newer model much of an improvement,

I admit its becoming slower and slower, my girlfriend just got an iphone 4 and using that has really made me realise how outdated mine feels.

please share your thoughts,

Thanks in advance

2. Biker macrumors regular

3. lukeyyyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

So it will last me until I get my iphone 5, Good

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS 5+ will not work on the iPod Touch 2G and the 8Gb iPod Touch 3G.

5. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

i have an ipod touch 2g and it fulfills all my needs. i dont really use it for games though, imo games for it are pretty crappy. im actually typing this from it- feels just as fast as when i got it.

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Rage plays on my 2nd gen Touch. Just get the standard def version.

Of course, I'm hoping for a 4th gen for Christmas, maybe, for Infinity Blade.

I think there will be plenty of quality games still compatible with the 2nd gen until the 5th gen comes out — but there will be a growing list of ones like Infinity Blade that will be waiting for you when you upgrade.

7. lukeyyyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yea I realised the other day, and downloaded it, graphics still look good on the standard version, I know my 2nd gen ipod touch is at its peak when playing this,

any information on battery life? is the 4g considerably better?

Like i said I get about 2 hours gaming on my ipod, how many would the 4g get?

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple has never stopped supporting a product until the next major release of a version (so far). For example, they won't stop at 4.x if they gave you 4.0. They might stop at 5.0 though ... but not in the middle. I think you should wait, it should easily hold out. Theres no point going for a new iPod now when you'll upgrade in 5-6 months. I guess you could sell it though.

You can also take an early upgrade. That would cost you $399 for a 16GB iPhone 4, or $499 for a 32GB iPhone 4.

Choose your poison.

Personally though, I have no doubt my iPod Touch 2nd generation will last another 5-6 months

9. cubist macrumors 68020

Actually there is no 8gb touch 3g. The 8gb model was still the 2nd gen. I have one. The paucity of RAM on it makes it flakey even for simple games.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I know that but there are some people that will say otherwise.