Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smokskrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
Hi there. I was looking for an iPod 4th or 5th generation to have a device to just listen to music and I stumbled upon a 7th generation iPod at really low price. The problem is the owner says it is not charging and he didn't use it's original charger and thinks that it is a software problem or the charging port is broken. I thought it might be the junk that accumulated in the port. Can you guys help me ? I don't know wether to buy it or not.

bella2v

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Portland, OR
This is a bit late to your question, but I would not buy it. There could be a number of things wrong with it. I still have my iPod Touch from five years ago and it works great but I realize it will soon no longer be upgraded. Looking to buy the latest version, but will wait until year's end to see if Apple finally does come out with an updated chip and works.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
This is a bit late to your question, but I would not buy it. There could be a number of things wrong with it. I still have my iPod Touch from five years ago and it works great but I realize it will soon no longer be upgraded. Looking to buy the latest version, but will wait until year's end to see if Apple finally does come out with an updated chip and works.
Since the Touch 7 was released just over a year ago (May 2019), I wouldn't get my hopes up for an upgrade in 2020.

OTOH, I'm keeping an eye on the Refurb Store. If a 256GB iPT7 happens to show up, it's mine!

My 128GB 6 is getting long in the tooth and is stopped at iOS 12.x.

To the OP, if a bad battery (on a 7? Unlikely but possible), those are cheap. If the headphone jack or charging port are broken, the fix is a new motherboard. Avoid!

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Get an older iPhone. I just scored an iPhone 7 for $180 on swappa. will use it as an iPT and backup phone.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Get an older iPhone. I just scored an iPhone 7 for $180 on swappa. will use it as an iPT and backup phone.
I has an iPhone 7+ but decided to sell. Yes, it could be considered a giant iPod with truly decent battery life but it was way too big. I recently solde it and ordered a 256GB Touch 7 — putting the change in my pocket and will sell the Touch 6 after it arrives.

I agree that, if all you are looking for is an iOS 13 compatible music player, an older iPhone with a fresh battery is a pretty solid choice.

I want small. In fact, for background music between sets, I still have one of my Shuffles (3 or 4) Velcro'd to my PA system.

Last edited:

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I has an iPhone 7+ but decided to sell. Yes, it could be considered a giant iPod with truly decent battery life but it was way too big. I recently solde it and ordered a 256GB Touch 7 — putting the change in my pocket and will sell the Touch 6 after it arrives.

I agree that, if all out are looking for is an iOS 13 compatible music player, an older iPhone with a fresh battery is a pretty solid choice.

I want small. In fact, for background music between sets, I still have one of my Shuffles (3 or 4) Velcro'd to my PA system.

trust me it was a hard decision for me too, but the only downfall with the iPT is terrible battery life. I was reading reviews on the iPT 7 and it looks like people are still having that issue.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
trust me it was a hard decision for me too, but the only downfall with the iPT is terrible battery life. I was reading reviews on the iPT 7 and it looks like people are still having that issue.
I hear you.

Because I use mine as a music player and recorder only, I actually get the advertised 40 hour battery life on my Touch 6. I've timed it.

No background refresh, push notifications, email, apps, auto-anything, location services etc. Each of those just sucks down the juice. If you're going to do any of that, an iPhone makes far greater sense.

When used as a music recorder with a Zoom iQ7 or Shure MV88. I never have to worry abought a phone call or iMessage messing up a recording. The Touch is always in Airplane mode — which also extends battery life.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I hear you.

Because I use mine as a music player and recorder only, I actually get the advertised 40 hour battery life on my Touch 6. I've timed it.

No background refresh, push notifications, email, apps, auto-anything, location services etc. Each of those just sucks down the juice. If you're going to do any of that, an iPhone makes far greater sense.

When used as a music recorder with a Zoom iQ7 or Shure MV88. I never have to worry abought a phone call or iMessage messing up a recording. The Touch is always in Airplane mode — which also extends battery life.

Yeah. I’m using my broken 6 right now where it only works if I keep it plugged in. I miss the old iPod Classic though. That thing had insane battery.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Update.

Bought a 256GB Touch 7 from one of those Chinese resellers on eBay that can get it to you shipped under $300.

The good: Sealed retail box and appears to be brand new as advertised. Includes Lightening Cable and ear buds. Easy to set up, register and took an hour to transfer all my music from my iPhone. I entered the serial number into Apple's search and it popped up the correct info. I assume it's not a fake—if it is, so good it fools Apple and me. Works great. The reseller included a 5W charger, cheapo clear soft plastic case and a screen protector.

The not so good: The serial number shows it was purchased and registered December 2019. Huh??? The Touch 7 apparently no longer comes with a charger. The plastic retail box has a slight crack.

I will call Apple to discuss why a new, sealed Touch only has almost no warranty left. Since I paid less than 75% retail on the grey market, I will let it slide if Apple tells me there's no warranty left. I will update this thread after I talk to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.