Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
There is new firmware available from inside iTunes. It just says there are "bug fixes".

Subjectively, the menus feel like they are back to as fast as the 5G iPods were, but Coverflow still sucks.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Subjectively, the menus feel like they are back to as fast as the 5G iPods were, but Coverflow still sucks.

Thanks for that! iTunes was set to check for an update tomorrow, I'm definitely hoping the menu is fixed and is just as fast as the 5G... Installing now.

Update: The speed of the menu definitely feels on par with the 5G ipod, cover flow is still pretty sluggish.. but seems a lot better than before. Not entirely sure if it's the placebo affect though, I only used the ipod for about a good 15 minutes playing with the menu before I heard of the update.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
awesome! this makes me feel better. i'm planning on picking up a classic either tonight or next week so a simple patch actually helping the situation eases my concerns.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I just installed it, It worked wonders. I had been having clickwheel responsiveness issues, it cleared that up completely. I agree also with the OP, the menus are snappier. Coverflow is better, however, and I wouldn't say it "sucks" at all. It runs much more smoothly, just you still need to wait a second sometimes if you scroll fast and album art hasn't loaded completely. It nevertheless works better than before the update...

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I just got my 160gb yesterday and I haven't yet installed this update, but thanks for the tip! Also, my ipod only has a "P" in the title bar too when it is syncing...

EDIT- installed it. It fixed some problems I was having with my movies... previously the names of the movies did not correspond to the right file (i.e., selecting Zoolander played Anchorman). Glad Apple fixed these things so quickly!

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
Cover Flow still lists by artist... I'd say that was a pretty major bug... Nano seems snappier though, scrolling though Album list especially

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
I actually prefer coverflow to list by artist, I wouldn't call that a bug. The menus seem more responsive though.

ndheah

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I havn't used an iPod in years, last one was a Mini so I was unsure if this was how they are now. After getting this update last night my classic is so much more responsive and easier to use!!

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
The charging screen has changed too.

But I would still like an option to exclude certain album covers from the main menu.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
can one of you guys post a pic of the "P"?

and is it only when syncing?

Here is the "P". Seems to happen when it is plugged in.

Also they still haven't fixed the Compilation bug... compilation artists are still listed under Artists instead of being hidden like they were on previous models.

Attachments

• IMG_5745.JPG
    IMG_5745.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 706

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
I actually prefer coverflow to list by artist, I wouldn't call that a bug. The menus seem more responsive though.

I meant compilations being split up in cover flow, by artist - instead of one album with "Various Artists" I have hundreds of the same album, but each with a different artist... Cover flow is essentially useless on the new iPods at the moment - that, is what I'd call a bug :eek:

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
lol the "p" looks funny. i guess something was lost in translation and the i,o, & d got deleted.

anyone up for firmware 1.0.1.1?

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I seem to have found an even bigger problem. I have my classic set to sync with a few playlists, but it is also syncing with a bunch of playlists that I haven't selected. Not the whole lists, though... it seems to be a random number of songs from each list! Bizzare. Anyone else notice this?

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
I meant compilations being split up in cover flow, by artist - instead of one album with "Various Artists" I have hundreds of the same album, but each with a different artist... Cover flow is essentially useless on the new iPods at the moment - that, is what I'd call a bug :eek:

Oh I gotcha, yea that does need to be fixed!

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Here is the "P". Seems to happen when it is plugged in.

Also they still haven't fixed the Compilation bug... compilation artists are still listed under Artists instead of being hidden like they were on previous models.

My 80 gb classic seems to have the same "p" when connected to my imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.